stomach shrinking feeling nauseous gaining weight

Options
Hello,
my goal is 1200 calories a day, to lose 10 lbs...and i exercise 5 days a week. I come in under my calorie goal often. My BMI is @ 22.5. I have been gaining weight instead of losing it. When I eat meals like dinner, around 800 calorie meals...I feel stuffed and nauseous and get indigestion/regurgitation. This never used to happen. WTH is going on w me? My thyroid levels were checked, and are ok. Thank you for any and all information and advice.

Replies

• brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I think you'd feel much better if you even out the calories you need to eat throughout the day... 800 cals in on meal is really tough to digest! Plus, if you're not eating anything all day except for dinner, you will gain more weight rather than if you ate the same amount of calories, but in small doses throughout the day.
  • mollylaremeter
    mollylaremeter Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You are right. 800 cals is a lot, its not usually that much more like @ 550....I better focus on smaller portions at dinner. Sometimes that includes a cocktail on the weekend.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I'm curious why you deleted you former account and just now created this one?

Anyway, why you are creating such a massive deficit when you only have 10 lbs to lose? The less fat mass you have, the smaller the deficit should be. With 10 lbs of weight loss, your weekly weight loss goal ought to be be 0.5 lbs per week to 0.75 lb at the absolute most - that's a total deficit between 250 calories to 375 calories below TDEE.

How long have you been restricting calories to such a scale? Were you likely eating far more than 1200 calories which would explain why eating a 800 calorie dinner would cause that response.
  • mollylaremeter
    Options
    sorry, i know, weird huh...because I accidentally created two accounts...thats why my info wasnt syncing. i didnt have the same username. so i had to make a new account with the same username as my iphone account to have them sync.
  • mollylaremeter
    Options

Anyway, why you are creating such a massive deficit when you only have 10 lbs to lose? The less fat mass you have, the smaller the deficit should be. With 10 lbs of weight loss, your weekly weight loss goal ought to be be 0.5 lbs per week to 0.75 lb at the absolute most - that's a total deficit between 250 calories to 375 calories below TDEE.

How long have you been restricting calories to such a scale? Were you likely eating far more than 1200 calories which would explain why eating a 800 calorie dinner would cause that response.

the short answer is, i really dont know what i'm doing. i never had to think about this before. i really thought less calories would make you lose weight faster. easy as that. i have been doing this for almost a year. Maybe longer, but I wasnt paying attention to what I ate. Its just been around a year that I've been consciously aware of calories.
  • geekyjock76
    Options
    Honestly, one year of continuous calorie restriction is a very long time. By maintaining such, you're causing your RMR and leptin concentration levels to drop lower without any additional benefit of greater fat oxidation. Your Resting Metabolic Rate is dictated by your lean body mass and when that drops, the rate at which you oxidize fat lowers as well. Leptin is one of your hunger hormones and decreases in leptin concentration causes abnormal satiety response. In short, chronic calorie restriction reduces metabolic function making the process of reducing fat mass a much more frustrating experience.

We all have a limit to how much true fat we can burn in a 24 hour period. The leaner you are, the less true fat you can burn. For women around normal body weight and body fat percentage, 2 lbs of actual fat loss per month is expected. Creating a larger than needed deficit isn't going to get you to your goal faster - the opposite will occur.

If you know your estimated body fat percentage, use the calculator on the right to determine RMR and TDEE:

http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm

Once you get that, reduce TDEE by about 15% to establish your total deficit.

The deficit needs to be partitioned to include exercise calories and how many calories below TDEE you eat. For instance, a deficit of 375 calories can be: eat 200 calories under TDEE estimate and engage in 175 exercise calories.
  • mollylaremeter
    Options
    Honestly, one year of continuous calorie restriction is a very long time. By maintaining such, you're causing your RMR and leptin concentration levels to drop lower without any additional benefit of greater fat oxidation. Your Resting Metabolic Rate is dictated by your lean body mass and when that drops, the rate at which you oxidize fat lowers as well. Leptin is one of your hunger hormones and decreases in leptin concentration causes abnormal satiety response. In short, chronic calorie restriction reduces metabolic function making the process of reducing fat mass a much more frustrating experience.

We all have a limit to how much true fat we can burn in a 24 hour period. The leaner you are, the less true fat you can burn. For women around normal body weight and body fat percentage, 2 lbs of actual fat loss per month is expected. Creating a larger than needed deficit isn't going to get you to your goal faster - the opposite will occur.

If you know your estimated body fat percentage, use the calculator on the right to determine RMR and TDEE:

The deficit needs to be partitioned to include exercise calories and how many calories below TDEE you eat. For instance, a deficit of 375 calories can be: eat 200 calories under TDEE estimate and engage in 175 exercise calories.

Thank you, and I will look at the info. What is TDEE though?
  • mollylaremeter
    Options

Thank you, and I will look at the info. What is TDEE though?

That is a super helpful calculator. thanks so much. It says that my Estimated Daily Caloric Need For Weight Loss is 1539 Calories. So does this mean I need to eat this and still exercise? Or that I can eat more, but my exercise needs to take me down to this number? Please forgive my ignorance!
  • geekyjock76
    Options
    TDEE is the total amount of energy your body expends the entire day based on the activities you do. There are four components to TDEE, but only 3 can really be estimated.

1. Resting Metabolic Rate - this is the amount of energy needed to sustain normal biological function when at rest but awake. It is the single largest component of TDEE and can assume nearly 70%.
    2. Thermic Effect of Food - energy is needed to process food you eat. TEF generally amounts to 10% of TDEE.
    3. Thermic Effect of Activity - planned exercise calories. Wear a HRM to more accurately estimate aerobic expenditure.
    4. Non-exercise Activity Thermogenesis - these are the mundane rituals you do daily including brushing teeth, bathing, etc. Aside from wearing a pedometer to track total steps taken, it is impossible to estimate energy expenditure for all daily activities. Thus, equations typically leave this portion out which could be the case if one leads a sedentary life outside of exercise.
    That is a super helpful calculator. thanks so much. It says that my Estimated Daily Caloric Need For Weight Loss is 1539 Calories. So does this mean I need to eat this and still exercise? Or that I can eat more, but my exercise needs to take me down to this number? Please forgive my ignorance!
    To make it simple, look at your predicted TDEE that it gives and deduct about 20% of that to establish your total deficit. If your TDEE is, say, 1900, then a 20% deficit would be 380 calories under 1900. You can partition the deficit by eating 200 calories below TDEE and engage in 180 exercise calories - mainly moderate to heavy weight training and limit cardio to maintain lean body mass. So in this example, you would eat 1700 calories and exercise for 180 calories.

It is important to note that these equations provide a prediction that may under or over-estimate caloric needs. If you have been engaging in chronic calorie restriction for a year, your RMR may have slowed down some and leptin levels reduced. If you calculate 20% below TDEE and eat the partitioned deficit value, be aware that you will gain water weight due to the increased calories as well as glycogen refeeding muscle and the liver. So do not be shocked if and when the scale jumps up a bit - it's just your body adjusting and it will stabilize after a few weeks.
  • mollylaremeter
    Options
    TDEE is the total amount of energy your body expends the entire day based on the activities you do. There are four components to TDEE, but only 3 can really be estimated.

1. Resting Metabolic Rate - this is the amount of energy needed to sustain normal biological function when at rest but awake. It is the single largest component of TDEE and can assume nearly 70%.
    2. Thermic Effect of Food - energy is needed to process food you eat. TEF generally amounts to 10% of TDEE.
    3. Thermic Effect of Activity - planned exercise calories. Wear a HRM to more accurately estimate aerobic expenditure.
    4. Non-exercise Activity Thermogenesis - these are the mundane rituals you do daily including brushing teeth, bathing, etc. Aside from wearing a pedometer to track total steps taken, it is impossible to estimate energy expenditure for all daily activities. Thus, equations typically leave this portion out which could be the case if one leads a sedentary life outside of exercise.
    To make it simple, look at your predicted TDEE that it gives and deduct about 20% of that to establish your total deficit. If your TDEE is, say, 1900, then a 20% deficit would be 380 calories under 1900. You can partition the deficit by eating 200 calories below TDEE and engage in 180 exercise calories - mainly moderate to heavy weight training and limit cardio to maintain lean body mass. So in this example, you would eat 1700 calories and exercise for 180 calories.

It is important to note that these equations provide a prediction that may under or over-estimate caloric needs. If you have been engaging in chronic calorie restriction for a year, your RMR may have slowed down some and leptin levels reduced. If you calculate 20% below TDEE and eat the partitioned deficit value, be aware that you will gain water weight due to the increased calories as well as glycogen refeeding muscle and the liver. So do not be shocked if and when the scale jumps up a bit - it's just your body adjusting and it will stabilize after a few weeks.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. I feel so much better with a little more knowledge. I didnt mean to "restrict" my calories or be in "starvation mode." That is so creepy. Now I know I can eat more and not feel like crap. Hopefully this will give me more energy too. It said I need to eat @ 1300 calories a day excluding exercise, I believe....I think this is doable and a better goal for me. It's so hard to get correct and healthy information on the internet when everyone's body and frame is so different.