Couch to 5K September start!

Options
I just started the C25K workout, via Run Double on my phone... anyone else doing the Couch to 5K and want to keep motivated and on track?!
I am currently doing week 2, but am going slow, so jump on in!

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I just finished Week Two on Saturday, but I'm not actually doing it myself. I'm coaching a woman on my team from work who wanted me to help her run her very first 5K in November. I've been running for almost two years and just finished my second half marathon a few weeks ago and the first time I got on a treadmill I stopped after less than a minute at 4.5mph. I didn't use Couch to 5K when I started, but I essentially just did something very similar naturally as a way to build up my endurance.

The woman I'm coaching is about 325 and had done little to no exercise prior to starting this program two weeks ago. From my experience, no matter how hard it feels when you're doing it, you can probably push through it. Since I'm able to easily run much faster and for much longer periods of time I can help motivate her to keep moving without being tired and wanting to stop myself. And what I've seen her do has been inspiring. On the second day of week one, she got a cramp with five seconds left of the last jogging section. She had to stop jogging but kept walking and as soon as that cramp was gone, she instantly started jogging again and yelled behind her as she went "I owe you five seconds!!" and went and ran 10 seconds to make up for it. :)

But she has jogged every single second of every single jog section, at a steady pace from start to finish. So I'm here to tell you that you can do this, even if it feels like you won't make it to the end of the jogging section, you can. Congrats on starting Couch to 5K and good luck on your journey with it!
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Week 1 this week! It'd be great to have someone to help motivate me. :)
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I start week 3 tomorrow! OY! I can do this, I can do this, I can do this!

YOU can do this too! I'm in!
  • Mickey229
    Options
    Thanks all for commenting!
    I used to run a lot, without any issues, and never timed it, just went till i felt i had run out my stress, and it was such a great stress reliever for me.
    So, in August, i thought, i can run again, and i will!

Thank you WolfChild59 for the inspiration! i have done all the jogging, even if i feel i can't.. and the last session i did felt almost *gasp* too easy! so i'm excited to keep going.

MoniMoni2U and FitFabFlirty9 - Let's do this!! : )

Today i am going to do Week 2 Day 3. I have been working week 2 for about 2 weeks, and i feel great about my accomplishment, i wanted to feel like i was ready to move on to week 3, not force myself and so far it's worked out well! I will let you know how today goes. :)
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I am starting week one this week too! Hopefully we can all motivate each other and help each other stay on track!
  • Mickey229
    Options
    Awesome RubyAutumn4 - yes, i am excited to have some motivation and accountability... have fun on your day 1! just enjoy it, don't get to strict with it, make it fun!
  • Mickey229
    Options
    Treadmill run tonight: 1.75 miles in 31 minutes
    Getting ready to head to week 3! whoo woot!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Started week 1 on Sunday! I'm doing the treadmill version.

C25K was my reward to myself for reaching Onederland LOL. I got there quicker than I expected....
  • chicbuc1
    chicbuc1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I did my first night tonight. I'm really skeptical how far I'll make it (I'm REALLY overweight)...but I'm determined to try!
  • calamity71
    calamity71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Well how exciting! I just did my first training yesterday! I am not a runner, and never have been able to run....Not even in high school. So starting this at 40 seems crazy to me! I am looking forward to some mutual support here!
  • Clarissia_Nicole
    Clarissia_Nicole Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I attempted to start this today but my stupid phone timer kept messing up in the middle of it and so i did just my normal routine :/
  • LuckyTerrier
    LuckyTerrier Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm doing a similar program but it's 10 weeks and goes up to 10k. Tomorrow is week 2 day 2. I'm really pushing myself, but I also feel that each run makes me stronger. I can't wait to build up the strength and lung capacity to enjoy long runs!

Feel free to friend me if you're doing C25k or C210k, it definitely helps to connect with people in the same boat.
  • dream_big
    dream_big Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was 1/2 way through week 2 day 2 tonight when my iPod decided to go for a run on the treadmill too an reset my day so guess I'll redue it next time!
  • Thin1979
    Options
    I want to do this.... How do I sign up?
  • as153
    Options
    im starting mine tomorrow!
  • calamity71
    calamity71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    google couch to 5K and you will find an app for your smart phone.
  • anggxo
    anggxo Posts: 102
    Options
    I started today! And it kicked my butt, but I got through it. :) I'm definitely not a very good runner but hopefully by the end of this I will improve :)
  • jecberry
    jecberry Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 2 of training for my first 5K. I'm not using the program you are. Instead, I'm using a Shape magazine training plan: http://www.shape.com/fitness/training-plans/beginner-5k-training-schedule-go-couch-finish-line.

On my phone, I'm trying Endomondo and MapMyRun. Not sure which one I prefer to track my progress. The calorie counts seem to really vary between the two, even though the personal data on each matches and they're obviously picking up the same GPS signal and run data. Any tips on which one might be more accurate?
  • running_mum
    running_mum Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I finished D2W1 :)

I had to pep talk myself all day - really trying to convice myself that I would not stop when it got hard - and I didn't!

I finished it and I couldn't be more proud! :):)

If I can do it, ANYONE can!
  • hellotherecupcake
    Options
    I'll be starting W7D1 on Wednesday. When I started I found it really difficult. Today I was able to complete 27 minutes without stopping! Great program for sure. Feel free to add me. :-)