IBS GUIDE/Information for people who have Irritable Bowel

Options
I have some great information on IBS if anybody has it and isn't sure what they should eat or how to handle it. My symptoms started happening after I graduated Grade 12. Every once and awhile my stomach would get these terrible pains, it felt like someone was twisting the insides of my stomach it would make me scream and cry in pain. Stupid me just ignored it and I never went to see a doctor.

I never did anything until this year. I woke up one night in the worst possible pain crying on the toilet. I made my boyfriend promise he would make me get a Doctors appointment. So I did, my Doctor told me to try a gluten free diet for a month (which I did) but it made my stomach worse (I had to give a stool sample, but my Doctor didn't tell me it needed to be kept cold so she didn't find anything abnormal when I brought it in) At this time I had a temporary position at Public Health Nursing and one of the Dieticians told me I shouldn't have tried a gluten free diet. Not that it is a bad thing, but it could be hiding the underlinging problem and it's really expensive. She told me I should try a lactose free diet for a week and see how I do. I tried that and it helped out a little BUT everything hurts my stomach doesn't matter if it's healthy I don't feel good within 5 minutes to 1 hour of eating.

I went to see a gastroenterologist. I had to give another stool sample (and keep it in my fridge..blahh gross I know). He informed me there was nothing dangerous going on but my stool was abnormal so I would have to get a colonscopy before he could tell me what was really wrong. He also gave me an appointment to have a lactose intolerance test. I was 100% I was, but I wasn't one bit! Dairy is just a trigger food with my irritable bowel. I eventually got the colonscopy done and found out I have "Diarrheal Predominant Irritable Bowel" it should be called "Irritable Bullsh*t" because thats all it really is. The way he explained it to me is that my washer works but my dryer doesn't I don't absorb any water so I go to the bathroom urgently and fast.

I found this great book on IBS and I typed it up everything that pertains to me. There are some great facts and helpful tips you may like to learn about. Like all this healthy food that you shouldn't eat such as: green peppers, onions, watermelon, honey dew melon, cucumbers, etc. And things you may not have known like if you don't have 3 meals a day it can cause symptoms, say your stressed today but don't have any symptoms, they could show up a couple of days later, or the reason why people with IBS don't feel good after eating is because we feel the muscle contractions which are painful and people who don't have IBS do not feel the contractions. I tried to put my information on this site to help people out but its way to big because it's a typed up book. Please feel free to add me or send me a message and I would be more and happy to send you "My Irritable Bowel Guide" perhaps to your email. I don't wish IBS upon every anyone. You have your good days and your bad days. And the bad days can be very painful and ruin your whole day...work, exercise, social life.

Replies

• Anappy
    Anappy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I too was dx with IBS-D which I always felt was the doctors way of saying "we don't quite know what is wrong but here is a dx". I would be interesting in the info you found out.

Thanks so much
    AnnMarie
  • vanessamcinnis
    vanessamcinnis Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    With IBS if you don't make a diet, exercise, and a way to reduce stress in your own way. It's a lifestyle change if you don't want those terrible painful symptoms. I am not an expert on this but I have great information I typed up from a book. I admit I don't follow the diet I eat food all the time that I know I shouldn't...I just say "I will deal with the pain", then when the pain comes I say "Why don't I ever learn"
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Stress was a trigger for me when I was younger and as I've aged the symptoms don't show up very often. Every once in awhile, though, the knife through the intestines pain hits and I never know exactly what could have triggered it, but I do know that high fat foods are often involved. A high fibre diet, built up over time has helped me.

One thing that helped was when the spraying of sulfite on produce was stopped. I used to eat a salad in a restaurant and barely make it home.

Best of luck to anyone who has these difficulties.
  • phonypony
    Options
    Arrrgh! I totally have this too but not diarrhoea more the opposite and it's resulted in a painful anal fissure before. I find that trying to eat healthily and exercise and try not to stress helps the most. My Dr. told me to try metamucil and I did and I have felt so much better! Mostly I get bloating and terrible cramps so when this starts I feel really embarrassed if I am at someone's house or out because the only way to fix it is to fart a lot haha! Peppermint tea/peppermint oil capsules really help a lot once the cramping has started. I've just had to embrace my farts and get on with life. IBS is a *****, though.
  • icklekimmy
    icklekimmy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I pretty much put up with the side effects of ibs for nearly ten years. My stomach makes some crazy noises when food hits it, it feels like bubbles inflating and popping then shooting around my guts. This was especially a cause for a red face when i was in quiet lectures and it was really audible.
    I finally got medication for it at the start of this year. I take the anti-spasmodic meberverine three times a day before meals and this helps stop the spasms or contractions which cause the pain and discomfort and daft flipping noises. I wish i had gone and gotten meds instead of suffering as my previous doctor just suggested elimination diets. One thing i know not to touch is garlic bread, even with meds oh my days its not a good time!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was going through something very stressful and my IBS was on full attack. It was everyday, all day. And was quite horrible. It made me stress more while going through something else. Thankfully once my stress calmed down, so did my IBS (slowly). I still have issues but nothing like that time period.

Your post has gotten me thinking that maybe my lactose intolerance might just be an IBS trigger. I always thought it was two seperate things.

I usually take miralax (my moms doc & my former doc suggested it). It seems to help. And I always keep imodium or gas-x on hand just in case.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    What was the name of the book and who is the author. That would probably be a more simple solution.
  • rbikky87
    rbikky87 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with IBS this May. I had it for almost a year before that.

I can related with symptoms of other ppl in this post - terrible pain in the gut, and when its time to go, I had to go urgently.

For me, lactose never triggered or increased the symptoms. So is fiber rich foods. I maintain a food diary (on MFP), but I'm yet to identify a food that troubles my IBS.

I started eating healthy, exercising more, which helped me a lot. My doctor prescribed Dicyclomine 20mg to use when I get the pain. Other times I don't use it.

What I noticed is, when I get the pain, mostly it means I need to use the restroom right away. I do that, and also take the tab and the pain goes away immediately and wont trouble me for the day.

One really interesting observation I had is, I used to get the pains sometimes even when I ate healthy. But when I'm on a vacation, and eat out for few days at a stretch, I never got the pains and my system was just fine!
  • vanessamcinnis
    Options
    A few years ago I was going through something very stressful and my IBS was on full attack. It was everyday, all day. And was quite horrible. It made me stress more while going through something else. Thankfully once my stress calmed down, so did my IBS (slowly). I still have issues but nothing like that time period.

Your post has gotten me thinking that maybe my lactose intolerance might just be an IBS trigger. I always thought it was two seperate things.

I usually take miralax (my moms doc & my former doc suggested it). It seems to help. And I always keep imodium or gas-x on hand just in case.

Dairy if definitely a trigger food for me. I drink Lacteeze milk and try not to eat/drink dairy but I find it very hard because I love cheese. I buy cheesestrings now instead of a block of cheese so I try not to eat it as much. Trigger foods for me are ice cream, pizza, and anything that is fast food
  • vanessamcinnis
    Options
    What was the name of the book and who is the author. That would probably be a more simple solution.

The book is called "IBS RELIEF" -A complete approach to managing Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Its the updated and expanded second edition. The author is Dawn Burstall, R.D, T. Michael Vallis, Ph.D, and Geoffery K Turnball, M.D
  • vanessamcinnis
    Options
    I was diagnosed with IBS this May. I had it for almost a year before that.

I can related with symptoms of other ppl in this post - terrible pain in the gut, and when its time to go, I had to go urgently.

For me, lactose never triggered or increased the symptoms. So is fiber rich foods. I maintain a food diary (on MFP), but I'm yet to identify a food that troubles my IBS.

I started eating healthy, exercising more, which helped me a lot. My doctor prescribed Dicyclomine 20mg to use when I get the pain. Other times I don't use it.

What I noticed is, when I get the pain, mostly it means I need to use the restroom right away. I do that, and also take the tab and the pain goes away immediately and wont trouble me for the day.

One really interesting observation I had is, I used to get the pains sometimes even when I ate healthy. But when I'm on a vacation, and eat out for few days at a stretch, I never got the pains and my system was just fine!

With my IBS it doesn't matter what I eat healthy or not healthy my stomach hurts within 5 minutes. I could eat the healthiest thing and be in pain. My stomach pretty much feels better as soon as I go to the bathroom. One thing with me is that I eat then go to the bathroom right away then I am hungry again its super frustrating. I will be getting medical benefits soon and if the pills dont affect my birth control I will prolly get something. I just mostly deal with the pain
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I have ibs too and was looking for others on MFP who's ibs affects our eating - is there a group? My ibs started in my life when I went through a really traumatic event. My dad also has ibs and said when he ate psyllium fiber, it went away. So i eat a serving of Trader Joe's pure psyllium husks every morning, and my ibs is completely gone. If I skip my psyllium for a few days, the ibs comes back. Basically it works because it's easily soluble fiber. Stay away from fiber suplements with additives and citrus flavors because they are worse on the stomach and negate the reason for taking the fiber. The best one I ever found is Trader Joe's - all natural. Dairy is also hard on people with ibs even if you aren't lactose intolerant, because dairy is difficult to digest. We need foods that are easy to digest, which seems like it goes against foods that help us lose weight, so it can be difficult. Part of the reason I gained so much weight actually was because if ibs. IBS pains come because we can't digest the food we ate. The most helpful website I found is www.helpforibs.com - I never bought any of the products but the information there was extremely helpful.

I hope this helps.
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    My IBS was triggered by a virus. I spent years with stomach problems not being able to eat vegetables and I was a vegetarian!!! I found if I exercised too much it would set off a spasm and I would have to go sprinting home or to the nearest bush. I was on medication for reducing the amount of acid in my stomach and IBS meds but it took about 4yrs, a change of diet and learning my triggers to control it. I now very rarely suffer any symptoms and live relatively pain free. Occasionally I get flair ups but I take some meds and look after myself.

My recommendation is find out your triggers. Stress, food types or exercise.

Once you have them, omit or work out a way to control them so it doesn't set off an attack.

Definitely drink plenty of water.

I found coming off caffeine (except green tea but read that there is another amino acid(?) that helps against the caffeine) no dairy, controlling stress all helped against my IBS. I exercise regularly and plan runs with toilet routes :) esp if they are long. I had to learn to eat while running and that was hard due to my stomach shutting down. Testing foods and exercise need to be sorted before racing or going out into the middle of the hills.

IBS is relatively hidden issue. I know many people think folk fake it and I was one of them, until I got it. I didn't realise how important the stomach and bowels were until they stopped working and caused me so much misery.
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I have been suffering with IBC-C since I was 15. I have found the only things that help me are:

- Eat a well balanced, nutritious diet
    - Drink lots of water
    - Consisten exercise
    - Inner Health Plus (probiotic daily tablet)
    - Avoid oily, fried foods
    - Don't stress

Stress is the number 1 trigger for me. As well as not concentrating on my diet. I went on a 2 week holiday at the beginning of this year and as a result of not being careful with what I ate I had horrendous stomach pains on and off for 3 weeks after I returned.

Things that doctors or websites have told me to try but fail:

- Eating loads of fiber or metamucil (my colon doesn't process fibre properly, why would eating more of it help!)
    - Cutting out Gluten or Dairy
    - drinking potions and restricted diet from a natropath, yes it worked really well for about a month...then it went back to normal.

IBS is a very personal disorder. Triggers, symptons and results differ for every IBS sufferer. It's basically a process of elimination to find out what does and doesn't work for you.

By following the above, I have gone from 2-3 days a week of crippling stomach pains. To about once a month, if that! :-)
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    (since i was 15 = nearly 10 years!)
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Ive struggled with IBS as well, i became very sick at age 11, was hospitalized several times and finally was diagnosed two years ago. I find that m IBS is mostly stress triggered. Once I created a steady routine for myself, slept more at night and ate at set times my body was less likely to rebel. The GF diet has only been working for me now, after I got the IBS under somehwhat control. Thank you for your post!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I have been suffering with IBC-C since I was 15. I have found the only things that help me are:

- Eat a well balanced, nutritious diet
    - Drink lots of water
    - Consisten exercise
    - Inner Health Plus (probiotic daily tablet)
    - Avoid oily, fried foods
    - Don't stress

Stress is the number 1 trigger for me. As well as not concentrating on my diet. I went on a 2 week holiday at the beginning of this year and as a result of not being careful with what I ate I had horrendous stomach pains on and off for 3 weeks after I returned.

Things that doctors or websites have told me to try but fail:

- Eating loads of fiber or metamucil (my colon doesn't process fibre properly, why would eating more of it help!)
    - Cutting out Gluten or Dairy
    - drinking potions and restricted diet from a natropath, yes it worked really well for about a month...then it went back to normal.

IBS is a very personal disorder. Triggers, symptons and results differ for every IBS sufferer. It's basically a process of elimination to find out what does and doesn't work for you.

By following the above, I have gone from 2-3 days a week of crippling stomach pains. To about once a month, if that! :-)

The reason why Metamucil may have failed is because it's not an easily soluble fiber and has added flavors and sucralose etc. That aggravate the stomach - it wasn't created for ibs. I guarantee that an all-natural, easily soluble fiber will make a huge positive difference - I eat all- natural psyllium husks every morning and my ibs went away.

I also agree with everyone that stress is a huge culprit. My ibs actually started because of a trauma I experienced, and prayer and meditation (any stress reducer) have truly helped the ibs and other health problems go away for me.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I find that what makes me worse is eating a large amount of food. After eating a large meal, my body decides to get rid of everything in the large colon, no matter if it's ready to go or not. It's agonizing and I feel pain shooting through the entire torso. When I'm on a diet, I do better because my meals are generally smaller and I eat until the hunger is gone, not until I feel "full".
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I find that what makes me worse is eating a large amount of food. After eating a large meal, my body decides to get rid of everything in the large colon, no matter if it's ready to go or not. It's agonizing and I feel pain shooting through the entire torso. When I'm on a diet, I do better because my meals are generally smaller and I eat until the hunger is gone, not until I feel "full".

I have the same problem. Actually, if I eat just one big fat-laden meal I'll be fine. But it's when I go for the 2nd one in a day. Then yup, doesn't matter what was in it, everything's got to go. So now that I eat out once a week or less that's helped.

I find eating healthier is a mixed bag. I tend to get both directions of IBS (speed up, or slow down). Sometimes eating one really fatty food meal will effectively deal with the slow down.

Dairy if definitely a trigger food for me. I drink Lacteeze milk and try not to eat/drink dairy but I find it very hard because I love cheese. I buy cheesestrings now instead of a block of cheese so I try not to eat it as much. Trigger foods for me are ice cream, pizza, and anything that is fast food.

Don't discount the cheese. I'm not sure if my IBS is mostly dairy related or if the two are separate or what. But I find cheese to be my WORST dairy food to eat. Just miserable. Small amounts set it off. Strangely I can still eat ice cream (though not Breyers or anything very "natural") and small amounts of regular milk don't bother me, though usually I stick to Lactaid milk. I've met a lot of other people who are lactose intolerant, and it seems like the particular foods that are the worst (cheese v milk v yogurt v ice cream) can be drastically different per person. So you just need to find what's worse for you. I had to cut out cheese for the rest of my life. I was taking the little lactaid pills but it was at the point where I needed like 20 of them to have a slice of pizza. So no pizza for me. Haven't probably had pizza in 10 years. Sometimes I think about buying the expensive probiotic/enzyme stuff and trying some again, but I guess it's just not that worth it for me anymore.