QUESTION

Options
Ok, so everyone says its so bad to eat past 8 o'clock.. right? But why, I don't go to bed until like 10 or 11 or maybe even 12 or 1 am i don't understand why everyone has to stop eating at 8 o'clock. i get hungry! is this bad if i have snacks late at night? I usually don't eat 2 hours before i go to bed. I just need some clarification.. THANKS :)

Replies

• Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    It's not. Prepare for 50 other answers.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters WHEN you eat, just how much you eat overall. I always eat whenever I want. I usually eat something before I go to bed.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Doesn't make a difference for me - if I need a snack before bed, I have one.
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I think it's different for everyone - - and it also depends on what you eat. I quite often have a yogurt before I go to bed so that I don't wake up in the middle of the night with hunger pangs. If you're truly hungry, eat something. Be sure to track it - - and track what the outcome is (maybe you need carbs rather than protein or maybe bread is bad but crackers are OK).
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I don't stop. Time makes no difference. I'm hungry, I eat. Period. Hasn't stopped me from losing yet.
  • ar1ms
    ar1ms Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    yes i still stay within my calorie intake so i don't see the problem! calories are calories no matter what time of day!
  • NiagaraCheryl
    NiagaraCheryl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Basically what people are doing when they don't eat past a certain hour is merely limiting the calories they eat in a day. Some people believe that anything you eat after x:00 won't get burned off so it stays as fat. That's not how our bodies work. We even burn calories while we're sleeping.

What they are doing is limiting the amount of calories they're eating in a day. Same thing we do with MFP. There are many times I want a bowl of cereal before bed so that I can sleep through the night. If I'm hungry at bedtime I won't sleep well.
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I've read that it's good to stick to protein..a couple ounces of chicken breast, a small glass of milk, a protein shake...sometimes if I can't fight it I'll go the yogurt or banana route.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I usually have a snack before bed - I just make sure it's something fairly healthy, and with a bit of protein.

- some fruit and a cheese stick
    - greek yogurt
    - wheat thins with a laughing cow light wedge of cheese
    - a glass of milk (I drink skim milk)
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    It's good to question. Read and educate yourself. Make sure it's real, peer-reviewed science. Lots of disinformation and bro-science out there.

Last I saw, meal timing was debunked. It's all about what works for you within your daily calories and macros. I'm a swing-shifter and have to adjust my eating times accordingly.

More frequent meals work better for me, because I make poor choices if I get too hungry. I sleep better with a full tummy, so no matter when my bedtime is, I make sure to have calories left for a snack before bed.

What works for me may not work for you. Learn as you go, and you'll get there!

Have fun and good luck!