Giving Up on Certain Foods... yay or nay?

Options
I am a soda and sunflower seed ADDICT. Well, junk food in general, but those are my main two addictions. Have them everywhere. Heck, I'll eat salted sunflower seeds in the shell until my tongue goes numb from all the salt. Beginning to see that it's my main intake of sodium. Soda.... well, it's not AS bad as it used to be..... I've downgraded to Pepsi Next due to the smaller amount of sugar/calories compared to reg. pepsi..... but if I don't watch myself I can sometimes have many cans in a day. :/

Just wondering if throwing all the junk away will be at all effective/good idea, or if it'll just cause me to go on a junk food craze one day where I end up constantly eating it one night. Anyone else have to give up on stuff they consumed consistently? Any ideas of what sorts of things I should have on hand if I'm in a "snacking" mood?

Replies

• Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have had a sugar addiction for years. Earlier this year, I gave up my beloved Mt. Dew for Lent. I found that when it was over, I could get by on less. I still enjoy it, just am careful to only imbibe when I can fit it in my days calories. As for healthy snacks, raw veggies with hummus. Low calories and get protein and veggies in - bonus! I also like low fat string cheese when I need calcium. Do a search for past posts on the subject of low fat snacks. You will find great ideas here.
  • RejoicingL
    RejoicingL Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    yay, I had an addiction to candy bars. It had gotten to the point where I could eat 2 full size bars a day, and still be considering getting more. That was when I knew I had a problem, so now I do not eat candy bars. I do not buy them for my kids, I do not buy them for anybody. I still have other sweets occassionally, and might start eating them again once my addiction is under control, but for now it is no candy bars for me :) The problem may be in my thinking not in the candy bars themselves, but for now I am just more successful if I don't have any.
  • ashleyrose90
    ashleyrose90 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Well sunflower seeds are probably not horrible for you.. but pop is a different story. They've done studied that people who drink pop daily and that quit drinking it for a year lose just 10 pounds from quiting drinking it alone. Mind you I myself enjoy a can of diet coke or dr.pepper from time to time :P So maybe just try cutting it down? Maybe go to one a day?? I find not having it in the house makes it easier not to crave it. Do you like drinking water? If you drink lots of water it also helps. I put lemon in mine because I don't like regular water. But it's all on moderation right? A can a day or a can every couple days probably won't hurt you that badly
    Also! Feel free to add me :)
  • MyPaperBleedsInk
    MyPaperBleedsInk Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think the main problem is as a college student... the stuff surrounds me. Especially since things like soda are so expensive on campus, so I stock up on 12 packs at stores when they're under $2. If its around me, the temptation is greater.
    I'm just glad that this year I managed to cut out the soda during lunch/dinner hours. Previous years I would always have a large glass of soda, due to so many fountain drink machines being in our dining building on campus. Now I've managed to make sure I have a bottle of water with me when i go to eat, or I take a small amount of skim milk.
  • Dlyons3297
    Options
    I LOVE sweet stuff and especially this time of year when it's getting chilly, and I want to be baking. I personally dont' believe in giving up the things you love. Dieting is difficult enough as it is without depriving yourself. Couple of things that i've found to help when I have the cravings getting to me. 1. instead of going for a candy bar, I grab 2 regular sized marshmallows OR 2 Tbsp of semi sweet chocolate chips. The marshmallow have only 50 calories for 2 and 0 fat, and the chocolate chips have 140 cals and 8 grams of fat (not great but better than the candy bar) since your average candy bar has over 200 i think these are a great substitue and seem to be working for me pretty well. As far as the sodium intake, you'll need to counteract by drinking more water to flush it back out. Good luck!!!
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're making a plan already. I have had some success with substitution - finding a substitute that fits better with my goals. Maybe switching to raw seeds or at least mixing some in to "dilute" you usual?
  • natashaaevans
    natashaaevans Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm a strong believe of regular (but not frequent) cheating. I have planned, scheduled cheats about once a week on average. They are always social occasions where I want to be able to enjoy delicious food and drink without worrying about counting calories. There is a lot of information out there of the effectiveness, both psychologically and physiologically, of planned cheating in assisting people to stick to their diets/exercise regimes long term. Some people like to do it for a whole day where they just go nuts and eat whatever they want, but I find one meal/night a week is just enough for me to curb my cravings for wine/chocolate/icecream/rich food without disrupting my progress. Usually the next day I have more energy for exercise due to the increase calories, and a strong determination to get back to my calorie-controlled meal plan.
  • BTheGreatest
    Options
    Yay... I have replaced my soda with raspberry lime sparkling water and have replace sugar with stevia, agave, and the occassional honey... Don't eat wheat anymore either... did it cold turkey but did a ton of research on alternatives to not set myself up for failure!!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I have certain food that I know I simply cannot buy, because I will binge on them, but other foods that I've managed to simply cut back on . Everyone is different. You may be able to just cut back, or you may have to get rid of them altogether. Try cutting back first, if that doesn't work, then you may have to get rid of them for a time, or for good.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I don't have any good advice on this one. I still drink way too much Regular Dr Pepper. Part of the problem is that I work Overnights for 2 months, then Days for 2 months, then back again. It's difficult to get accustomed to a sleep schedule, only to have it change right when I get used to it. I could probably find better ways to stay awake, I admit. But it also happens to be my only vice. I can't stand drinking products with aspartame, so no Dr Pepper 10 or Diet Dr Pepper.

I have cut back on it considerably. There was a point that I was literally downing 2liters a day. Now I can get by with 20 ounces or so.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I pretty much have to give up chips unless I am going to have a cheat day.

What happens when I buy chips, is I eat the whole bag. Or at least a big chunk of it.

So I guess I sorta have given up certain foods, but simply because I don't have the self control not to eat the whole bag.
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I will eat certain things only in moderation. A slice of pizza instead of 1/2 a large. A small size ice cream bar instead of a bowl full with toppings. Helps me keep my sanity.