Calories burned from Snow shovelling

Options
Does anyone know what the calories burned would be from doing one hour of snow shovelling?

thanks

Replies

• jennbissonnette
    Options
    I googled it for you. Your weight is 226-4lb so i put the 222. So, for someone at your weight will lose 306 cals a half hour doing that. Thats great! I put mine in and i would only lose 150! :( So, i say go be nice to a neighbor or friend and get double out of the help. Your doing something nice and losing weight. Keep up the good work! Your doing a good job!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know what the calories burned would be from doing one hour of snow shovelling?

thanks

Using a HRM is best, but if you don't have one, this site might give you an idea. :smile:

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php
  • MissesOfficer
    Options
    I just added that to the MFP database sunday actually :p my weight is 175 and for 35 mins I burned 280 calories.
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I just added that to the MFP database sunday actually :p my weight is 175 and for 35 mins I burned 280 calories.

That sounds right.
  • suef
    suef Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks for the info, guess I am volunteering to shovel the driveway for the rest of the winter!!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    It also depends on the type of snow. I live in the midwest. A few weeks ago I shoveled several times over a couple days. The first time the snow was fluffy, light and fairly deep. Very easy to remove. I burned 210 calories {according to my HRM} in about 35 minutes. The next day after a steady snowfall, the weather warmed up slightly. The remaining snow was about 2 inches, heavy, and slushy. It took me 45 minutes to clear the driveway and I burned just over 400 calories.
  • mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I looked at the caloriesperhour website for snow shovelling - moderate (10-15 lb/min) and it gave me the same results as MFP's "Moving household items - carrying boxes". So I'm going to use that. Makes sense in a way: bend, lift, place, bend, lift, place.
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    Thanks for the info, guess I am volunteering to shovel the driveway for the rest of the winter!!

Wanna come do mine, too? :laugh: You can have all the calories burned, too, as payment. :happy: I won't object!
  • mschelle
    Options
    I would 34at35, but I have to go to my daughter's spelling bee. Drat! :laugh:
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options

Meeeee too :happy: Just started to snow here. I know my husband is going to tell me he will do it, I'll have to tell him those burned calories ARE mine :laugh:
  • mschelle
    Options
    Woohoo! More bonus snow-shoveling exercise today! Supposed to get 9-12"! That's at least 2-3 rounds!
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    For all of those of you who are shoveling that snow (and are young!) , why not get some more calories burned by shoveling the walks of some elderly people in your neighborhood? I'm sure they would appreciate it and you would get the extra calorie burn!