Post-workout nausea

Options
So I'm a bit of a newbie to working out. I've been a lazy thing for the last 2 years or so although before that I was pretty active and fit.

I've been working through the 30 day shred and have just moved up to level 3 a few days ago. This level kicks my butt, but it feels great. I'm sweating heaps and feeling the burn and I can tell it's doing good things for my body.

My only complaint is that after the cool down I get a little dizziness and sort of feel like I'm going to throw up. I haven't actually thrown up from it, it's only mild. I always refuel with plenty of water and a protein shake after the workout and usually feel better within 10-15 minutes.

Just wondering what the biological reason for this is and is there something I can do before/during/after the workout to avoid it?

Cheers!

Replies

• jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I don't know the reasoning behind it, but someone on here will.

I know that when I've taken prolonged breaks from training and then get into a very intense workout, this will happen. I've puked after boxing more than once. I've seen people puke after training hard as well. My body will usually adjust after getting back to the routine for a couple weeks and the nausea will go away.

Sorry, no real answers here - just a "you're not alone".

Edit: It might be helpful if you open up your food diary for us to see, as well.
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I feel when my blood sugar level drops too low. Maybe your extreme workout is using more energy than your diet is supplying at that time. Try a "little something" about 20 min before exercising. Or just drink some OJ or something after, but watch calories.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I am also interested to see the reason for this as it sometimes happens to me too. :sick:
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i just started a new program, cross fit, and i drank a bunch of water during and i swear i thought i was going to throw up. i didnt, thankfully. it could be because its a new routine. i know when i first started zumba i felt that way too. maybe your body is not used to it so making sure you dont work out too hard. hubby said if you feel like you are going to be sick then you are doing it right. i think hes nuts. just take it easy until you get a little more used to it. good luck.
  • JIGGLYbellyPUFF
    JIGGLYbellyPUFF Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the nausea, but when I started running long distances I couldn't go from "run" to "walk" anymore without feeling lightheaded. The solution for me was that I had to exaggerate my "slow the **** down" portion to the point where I do this walking speed jog motion thing before I actually walk. Perhaps the solution to your dizzyness is to pause the dvd after the workout to gradually slow down instead of going from "THAT WAS INTENSE!" to "stop completely to stretch" too fast.
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I had something very similar happen when I first started working out. Make sure your calorie intake is adequate and that you are hydrated. I think if you're ok on these things your body will acclimate soon... good luck
  • strbryt
    strbryt Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    It happens to me sometimes if I don't eat some type of healthy carb about 20-30 min before I work out. I find that oatmeal or some healthy wheat toast or something gets me through the workout without the icky feeling......well at least not so bad.
  • Isaanne
    Isaanne Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Eat something before but be careful what it is. I don't usually have an issue and have protein powder mixed with water before a workout, then recently had my morning coffee before a workout (because I went later in the morning than usual) and I got that awful sick feeling.

I have now realized that coffee before working out is bad for me!

Also I have switched to coconut water mixed with protein powder 20 min before i work out - it works great for me!! The carbs in the coconut water help absorb the protein and give me energy for the workout but I don't feel urky at all.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the cool down protocol for 30DS is, but I would suggest you extend your cool down time. Double whatever it is you're doing for cool down now.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Do you limit sodium in your diet? If so, do you really *need* to? Sounds like an electrolyte issue to me. Eat more veggies and allow yourself a pickle here and there. Or try an electrolyte replacement beverage.
  • ktno1
    ktno1 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for all the replies, guys! Very interesting and helpful.

From reading all of them, I think for me it may be a bit of a blood sugar low. I usually eat 1-2 hours before working out but maybe I need to throw in some carbs around 30 minutes before the workout to get me going?

Also extending the cool down seems like a great idea. Jillian does tend to go from ridiculous high intensity workout straight to sitting on the floor stretching. Maybe I could go for a walk around the house or something before doing the cool down stretches?
  • ktno1
    Options
    hubby said if you feel like you are going to be sick then you are doing it right. i think hes nuts.

haha this is probably what jillian would say too! :grumble:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

From reading all of them, I think for me it may be a bit of a blood sugar low. I usually eat 1-2 hours before working out but maybe I need to throw in some carbs around 30 minutes before the workout to get me going?

Also extending the cool down seems like a great idea. Jillian does tend to go from ridiculous high intensity workout straight to sitting on the floor stretching. Maybe I could go for a walk around the house or something before doing the cool down stretches?

Walking is a good idea. Maybe start with a fast pace and slow down after a couple minutes. If 30DS goes from 60 to 0 it might be affecting you. Also, if you're just starting out, likely your body will adapt and you won't feel as badly after a few more sessions
  • ktno1
    Options

Walking is a good idea. Maybe start with a fast pace and slow down after a couple minutes. If 30DS goes from 60 to 0 it might be affecting you. Also, if you're just starting out, likely your body will adapt and you won't feel as badly after a few more sessions

Thanks very much for the tip, I'll try this next time I do the workout and see if it helps!