lose weight while pregnant?

Options
I'm a regular at MFP but recently found out I am 7 weeks pregnant. Wondering if anyone still tried to lose weight while pregnant or is that a losing battle all together? Through MFP and one year of hard work I was able to get down to my lowest of 137....but I already feel myself gaining weight..mostly water weight right now but with both my other kids I gained 40+ ..I really don't want to go back to that after all the hard work. My main thing right now is because of a huge cyst I have on my ovary I am not to excersize right now until I get it checked again in to weeks to see if it will go away on it's own... it's pretty painful so the need to even go walking is out the window for me! I did change my goals so that I am in "maintain" mode of a little over 1700 calories... ( I have been going over my 1260 daily for a while now so I figured I should be honest with myself and just change my goals ) Anyones thoughts or opinions would help me out greatly..Thanks~!
Leslee

Replies

• dford5
    dford5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't think you attempt to lose weight because that would probably end up being a losing battle. You're supposed to gain weight with pregnancy. i would probably just focus on eating healthy for your baby and keeping fitness up (maybe walking about 30 minutes or swimming laps) to maintain health throughout the pregnancy.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Talk with your OB, usually it is frowned upon to lose weight while pregnant. Your main focus should be to get all the needs of your baby. You will most definitely need at least the 1700 cals a day. Probably more. Your focus at this point should be nutrition not weight loss. The weight will take care of its self once the needs of the baby are taken care of.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I would not suggest that at all. Your baby needs your nutrients from food and while I think you can choose to eat healthy and maintain or gain just a little, you could endanger your child or even lose a pregancy from something like that.

You should talk to your OB about the idea of losing weight while pregnant.