Workout schedule

Options
So about 3 years ago I worked out with my older brother for the Summer and he knew what he was doing in the gym so I just did what he told me. 3 years later I'm starting to actively go to the gym (by myself), but mostly doing cardio to burn fat. I'm trying to create a routine for lifting weights to start gaining some muscle along with burning fat, but I'm having some trouble because I'm not too familiar with all the machines and techniques. When I was working out with my brother I remember we switched off with these three areas each other day.... abdominal/back(legs), Chest/Shoulders, and Biceps/Triceps. I remember that this style was very effective for me. If there are any people out there (Hopefully guys) who are regulars at the gym or maybe study exercise science who can make me a schedule similar to this or something that worked well for them I would BEYOND appreciate it. If someone makes me a schedule, I might ask some questions throughout the process to make sure I understand everything. I can even keep you updated on how your schedule is working for me.

P.S if you want to throw in some cardio that's alright also. As of right now all I'm doing is 30 minutes each time I go (about 4-5 times a week)

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So about 3 years ago I worked out with my older brother for the Summer and he knew what he was doing in the gym so I just did what he told me. 3 years later I'm starting to actively go to the gym (by myself), but mostly doing cardio to burn fat. I'm trying to create a routine for lifting weights to start gaining some muscle along with burning fat, but I'm having some trouble because I'm not too familiar with all the machines and techniques. When I was working out with my brother I remember we switched off with these three areas each other day.... abdominal/back(legs), Chest/Shoulders, and Biceps/Triceps. I remember that this style was very effective for me. If there are any people out there (Hopefully guys) who are regulars at the gym or maybe study exercise science who can make me a schedule similar to this or something that worked well for them I would BEYOND appreciate it. If someone makes me a schedule, I might ask some questions throughout the process to make sure I understand everything. I can even keep you updated on how your schedule is working for me.

P.S if you want to throw in some cardio that's alright also. As of right now all I'm doing is 30 minutes each time I go (about 4-5 times a week)

Very true the weight lifting will burn fat better than the cardio.

Here is great place to start. Just follow down the steps, deciding how many days you can give to the lifting, the routine style, you can select exercise and see proper form with method to do them, ect. Even a template to print out with your desired stuff in it.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Instructions.html
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Here's a great place to get started. There's also Starting Strength, but I really like the fact that SL 5x5 has an iPhone app