Upset with myself..

Options
Ugh, I find it physically impossible to stick with a diet.. I recently got married this past May, I lost 23 lbs and looked and felt great.. sure enough right after the wedding i gain back about 23 lbs. I need some advice how to start simple with the losing weight process and different tips that help yourselves. anyone reccomend a beach body program?? please add me!!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Don't start a "diet" - think of it as a lifestyle change. Eat healthy food and exercise. Log everything you put in your mouth. If you want it, you'll do it. Don't think you have to completely change EVERYTHING at once. Start simple - drink more water, log your food, move more. As you log you'll see where you should make other changes in your choices.
  • sueframe
    Options
    I agree with rocket, just make one change to get your brain into the right space. Today I will drink 6 glasses of water and walk for 20 minutes and then JUST DO IT! You will feel so empowered again that the next day's goal will be easy to reach too. One day at a time.
  • Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest thinking about the foods that you really like, and what you can reasonably cut down on, then find an eating plan that works with this. For me, I love carbs, so any low-carb diet would be doomed to failure. On the other hand, I can live without most fatty foods. So a low-fat diet works - and the one I'm following has enough leeway that I can have the occasional chocolate/crisps/whatever without it being a problem.

As said above, too, try not to think of it as a diet. A diet is usually a temporary method of losing weight. A change in your eating habits can stay for life. :)

The other side of it is exercise. Do you get much in your daily life? Can you find a way to increase it a bit? But if you find it hard to keep going with the major changes, I'd recommend changing either your diet or exercise levels first, and getting used to that change first before introducing the other.

I'm not expert at all - this is just what's working for me so far!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    -Plan ahead as much as possible. Pack lunches, make ahead/pre planned dinners, pre portioned snacks.
    -LOG EVERYTHING. especially when its bad. For me, it motivates me to do better.
    -Find excersises you enjoy doing.
    -Don't cut anything out completely. Have indulgences. You will wanna rip your eyes out if you give up the things you love most.
    -drink lots of water. more than you think you should drink.
    -Make yourself have time to excersise.It is hard, I know. But if it is important enough to you, you HAVE to do it.

Good luck!!!
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Don't start a "diet" - think of it as a lifestyle change.

Bingo!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Don't start a "diet" - think of it as a lifestyle change.

Bingo!

yep!
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    "Diets" don't work! You may lose weight initially but this will not stay off as it can't be sustained for long.

Change your habits for life and you will be successful. I've lost 50lbs+ and i still eat chocolate, eat out, eat whatever i like basically. The difference now is i have the knowledge of how to do it all in moderation.

Add me if you like and i can support you.
    Jx
  • TonkaDanteFriend
    TonkaDanteFriend Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I would add not to be too hard on yourself. Negative feelings often encourage or lead to more bad habits while positive tends to lead to real change. Gaining weight happens to the best of us, even hundreds of pounds of it. Just take things one day at a time until you feel comfortable in your own skin again.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    as was said by others - dont think of it as a diet - most diets fail. Make a lifestyle change - I started with calculating my numbers, here's a great link to help with that.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I log EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth and I increased my water intake. I also really watch the sodium (thats a hard one since its in everything) - Then I eat within my numbers (or macros) making sure that I keep my protein up (45%)- carbs low (25%) and fats at about 30% - I know this sounds like a lot but I break it down to 10% each saturated / monounsaturated / Omega 3's

and I work out 3-4 times a week minimum at the gym and try to get at least 30 minutes of at home exercise (like cleaning) / walking in every day. So far Im down 5lbs and 6 1/2" in about a month. But I've already got more energy then I've had in forever, am sleeping better and clothes are definately fitting better.

Food wise the biggest thing that I've changed is that I try not to eat things that come out of boxes / cans / bags - the less processed food you eat the better. I've also figured out how to make the things that I used to buy premade myself so I can cut out a lot of the fat/sodium and get in some extra flavors that I really like. Anything that is designed to have a long expiration date will be full of things you dont need that will pack on the weight. Once in a while is ok but we all pay the price for that convenience.

As a life style change this works for me because I can eat whatever I want as long as I keep within my numbers - I dont to 'cheat' days or meals because I dont feel deprived of anything - and as long as I keep my proteins up I dont ever feel hungry either - unless it's getting close to lunch or dinner...lol...so I'll be able to keep this up forever.

Find what works for you - if it doesnt fit you then you wont stick with it regardless of what you call it.

Good Luck!!
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Yep, change your lifestyle and the weight will drop.

I did exactly the same as you. I lost 30lbs for my wedding and gained it back once the honeymoon was over :( I lost it doing the Cambridge diet and it just wasn't something I could maintain long term.

Make smaller changes at first, maybe cut out soda, or limit your eating out to twice a month or walk half an hour a day, Little changes that aren't too difficult, then when you have them mastered add in a few more. Before long you will be eating much healthier and exercising and losing weigh.

I lost 30lbs in 9 weeks on the Cambridge diet before going back to my old ways and gaining it back. It's taken me since Nov 11 to now to lose just over 40lbs. But the difference is I haven't felt totally deprived and still enjoy treats and foods I enjoy. I can eat out with friends and go for a family Sunday roast, I just make little adjustments and allow for them. And this "diet" is one I can do up to my goal weight and at maintenance for the rest of my life. So I think finding something that works that you can stick at forever is the most important thing.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    First, avoid the term "diet"!

If you are not willing to make a lifestyle change you will continue the weight roller coaster for ever.

You want a beach body? Well I hate to be the one who breaks this to you but a beach body is the result of a low fat / carb, high protein / fibre eating regime along with regular exercise (cardio & strength). There is no quick fix or magic pill to accomplish this goal!

To get on track, start logging everything you eat. As you get a sense of the "cost" of what you eat, start modifying to get to a balanced and healthy eating regime. Say good-bye to as much processed foods as possible. Especially things like , Colas, fast food restaurants and bagged, boxed and frozen foods.

Then as you are re-adjusting your eating, start exercising. Start slow if you do not currently workout regularly. Try different things if you are not sure what to do. Running, biking, swimming, yoga, weight training, pilates, martial arts, dancing, etc, etc. etc. There are lots of great classes to get a start and to start learning about your body and how to improve it. If you are shy, there are lots of great home workout programs, Insanity on DVD and BodyRock on the internet. The point being that with very little research or commitment, you can find a lot to chose from and try.

Lastly drink lots of water! As you start on changing your diet, plan your daily food. When you are hungry between "meals" go for a glass of water.

And, most important, have fun!!! If you look at this as a chore or as something negative, you are bound to fail.

All the best on your journey!
  • thinjustfabulous
    thinjustfabulous Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree with NO DIET thing. Just make a lifestyle change.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Just as a for example on what I was saying. My hubby just messaged me and said he really fancied pizza. I managed to talk him out of it for tonight (he has lost over 120lbs over 4 years so didn't take much convincing) but instead we now have a movie and pizza night planned for Friday night.

We are both going to save our exercise calories for the next few days and have pizza on Friday night with a movie. I will eat lighter during the day and although will probably go over calories on the day, over the week I will still be at a calorie defecit and should still lose weight.

So this kind of "diet" I can deal with. I'm not missing out and totally cutting things from my eating plan, just been sensible and planning more and making adjustments to allow to eat certain things as occasional treats instead of 3 or 4 times a week.

You can do it! x
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I agree with those about it not being a diet.I have tried many diets,but the weight always comes back. It needs to be a lifestyle change. I have switched to eating whole grains,brown rice.quinoa,vegetables,some fruits and high protein chicken,turkey and fish like salmon,tuna. There are days when my friends want to go out and I go too,but I use portion control,what I used to eat in 1 sitting,I can eat 2-3 times.I made myself make time for exercise,we all can find at least 20-30 minutes a day.Drink lots of water, don't get too obsessed w/a number on the scale,live to be healthy first.Take one day at a time and be accountable,log what you eat. YOU CAN DO THIS>We are all here to support you!!:)