My W/M Nurse has told me to eat 1000kcals a day?

Options
I don't understand. I thought 1000kcals was bad. I am only on 1,450 as it is now and I don't understand why my weight management nurse will tell me to 1000kcals. She has told me to drop 'one calorific item' from each meal (she also said drop 500kcals a day), so I guess the meat from meal times, banana from breakfast and maybe a yoghurt from lunch time.

The diet I have been on has been working, but she appears to just want it to work faster. She said this 1000kcal a day will help speed up the weight loss. She also suggested more exercise (I know I don't do much, but I haven't come here for people to tell me to do more!) but she told me not to eat back my calories, she just told me to leave it.

Should I try this 1000kcal diet? If so, what kind of diets are there for this? I thought I was eating healthily and doing fine but she seems just to want to speed up the process. I'm confused. :(

Replies

• DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? 1200 is a standard number for a standard height, my friend is 4"6 and she's healthily on 1000 to lose weight
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    That's crazy. Why fix what isn't broke? If you are already losing weight I don't see the point in speeding it up. I did a really strict diet and lost 40 kg in 9 months and even that was 1200cal a day. I fail to see how you will have enough energy to exercise on 1000 cal a day. I think she's being irresponsible.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Are you losing weight for something specific such as surgery and need to lose it by a certain date? If not and I was in your shoes I would carry on doing what you are doing. If your weight loss stalls then you could re-visit her idea but if there isn't a reason you need to lose it quickly then a slow steady weight loss is the way to go and the way that most health professionals recommend. (obviously morbidly obese people are ok losing it quickly but it's more beneficial to them to get the weight off fast than worry about the slow steady healthy way).
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? 1200 is a standard number for a standard height, my friend is 4"6 and she's healthily on 1000 to lose weight

I am only 5'4, so I'm quite short, just not quite petite!

@Kimothy - I agree. I'm a little confused about it, because I read topics on here and it doesn't make any sense at all.

@Jgriffiths198 - I'm losing weight just for my own good. I was overweight, but I am not really, really big. But I want to get back into a UK size 10 and I'd be happy. I'm doing it for health reasons and that is all.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

@Jgriffiths198 - I'm losing weight just for my own good. I was overweight, but I am not really, really big. But I want to get back into a UK size 10 and I'd be happy. I'm doing it for health reasons and that is all.

I guess it depends on what those health reasons are and if they are serious enough that she thinks you'd better loose faster.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. I thought 1000kcals was bad.
    If you're taking the advice of a Weight Management nurse then I would err take the advice ?

There's group-think on here about 1200 calories based on some American sports college recommendation or something. Medics regularly use harsher diets to achieve faster weight loss for medical reasons (eg in order to operate or to reverse Type 2 diabetes) and it's all approved and legit for a few weeks in obese people.

If that's the recommendation ask what to eat if you can't see a way forward.
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    She doesn't even class me as obese, she does not think I'm at risk of anything like diabetes.

Her advice was just to drop 'calorific' items my meals which.. generally that will be meat off of my plate.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Discuss her suggestions with her and/or your doctor, rather than a bunch of loons on the internet ;-)

Here's the UK NICE advice on weight loss :-

Adults

1.2.4.29 The main requirement of a dietary approach to weight loss is that total energy intake should be less than energy expenditure.

1.2.4.30 Diets that have a 600 kcal/day deficit (that is, they contain 600 kcal less than the person needs to stay the same weight) or that reduce calories by lowering the fat content (low-fat diets), in combination with expert support and intensive follow-up, are recommended for sustainable weight loss.

1.2.4.31 Low-calorie diets (1000–1600 kcal/day) may also be considered, but are less likely to be nutritionally complete.

1.2.4.32 Very-low-calorie diets (less than 1000 kcal/day) may be used for a maximum of 12 weeks continuously, or intermittently with a low-calorie diet (for example for 2–4 days a week), by people who are obese and have reached a plateau in weight loss.

1.2.4.33 Any diet of less than 600 kcal/day should be used only under clinical supervision.

1.2.4.34 In the longer term, people should move towards eating a balanced diet, consistent with other healthy eating advice.
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    Discuss her suggestions with her and/or your doctor, rather than a bunch of loons on the internet ;-)

Here's the UK NICE advice on weight loss :-

Adults

1.2.4.29 The main requirement of a dietary approach to weight loss is that total energy intake should be less than energy expenditure.

1.2.4.30 Diets that have a 600 kcal/day deficit (that is, they contain 600 kcal less than the person needs to stay the same weight) or that reduce calories by lowering the fat content (low-fat diets), in combination with expert support and intensive follow-up, are recommended for sustainable weight loss.

1.2.4.31 Low-calorie diets (1000–1600 kcal/day) may also be considered, but are less likely to be nutritionally complete.

1.2.4.32 Very-low-calorie diets (less than 1000 kcal/day) may be used for a maximum of 12 weeks continuously, or intermittently with a low-calorie diet (for example for 2–4 days a week), by people who are obese and have reached a plateau in weight loss.

1.2.4.33 Any diet of less than 600 kcal/day should be used only under clinical supervision.

1.2.4.34 In the longer term, people should move towards eating a balanced diet, consistent with other healthy eating advice.

Thank you!
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    As far back as i remember and my mother remembers, in the UK 1000cals was always the standard dieting amount, not 1200. You could try both and see which agrees with you best. I don't think your'e suddenly going to stop losing weight if you eat 200 cals less a day, and eating the 200 higher a day won't do anything 'bad' either. Its really an individual matter.
  • NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. I thought 1000kcals was bad. I am only on 1,450 as it is now and I don't understand why my weight management nurse will tell me to 1000kcals. She has told me to drop 'one calorific item' from each meal (she also said drop 500kcals a day), so I guess the meat from meal times, banana from breakfast and maybe a yoghurt from lunch time.

The diet I have been on has been working, but she appears to just want it to work faster. She said this 1000kcal a day will help speed up the weight loss. She also suggested more exercise (I know I don't do much, but I haven't come here for people to tell me to do more!) but she told me not to eat back my calories, she just told me to leave it.

Should I try this 1000kcal diet? If so, what kind of diets are there for this? I thought I was eating healthily and doing fine but she seems just to want to speed up the process. I'm confused. :(

If you are successfully loosing steadily.I agree that if ain't broke don't fix it. ..How much weight have you to loose??
  • kellehbeans
    Options

If you are successfully loosing steadily.I agree that if ain't broke don't fix it. ..How much weight have you to loose??

Almost 2 stone in about 3 months. This may sound drastic, however I have lost a hell of a lot in a shorter space of time. I have done this to get a flatter stomach, which appears to be working. Last time when I lost a lot of weight, I was just left with a lot of flab. :(
  • jamface11
    Options
    I'm not sure how the nurse works, but will you be seeing her on a semi/regular basis? I guess the difference is when people eat that little and don't know when to stop. Under the guidance of a health professional this kind of diet seems reasonable although I could never eat that little. Good luck :)
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I would fire your nurse for being stupid. You know more about your body than her/him. Eat when you are hungry and listen to your body.
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    I'm not sure how the nurse works, but will you be seeing her on a semi/regular basis? I guess the difference is when people eat that little and don't know when to stop. Under the guidance of a health professional this kind of diet seems reasonable although I could never eat that little. Good luck :)

I was seeing her every week, then it got to 2 weeks (which ended up being a month as she was ill one day and the receptionist conveniently cancelled my appointment the other week). I am now seeing her in 3 weeks time.

I am one of those people that does not know when to stop when it comes to not eating enough. I will keep going until I eat basically nothing, which is not good.
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The last thing I would remove from my diet would be meat. It's not high in calories, and your body really needs it. Cut the carbs if you need to cut somewhere.
  • 0MissErin0
    0MissErin0 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would fire your nurse for being stupid. You know more about your body than her/him. Eat when you are hungry and listen to your body.

haha was thinking the same thing :P
  • Iceman1800
    Options
    She doesn't even class me as obese, she does not think I'm at risk of anything like diabetes.

Her advice was just to drop 'calorific' items my meals which.. generally that will be meat off of my plate.
    so she wants you to take in less protein? Is she stuck in the 1970's?
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    The last thing I would remove from my diet would be meat. It's not high in calories, and your body really needs it. Cut the carbs if you need to cut somewhere.

That's the problem. She never told me what to cut. Yes, I have a lot of carbs but I tend to keep them in the 'recommended' from this site. However, I don't know what to replace these carbs with, as I mentioned I tend to eat them a lot. Without them I don't think I'd be eating very much at all.
  • ljwskinny
    Options

2 stone (thats 28 pounds to those on the other side of the pond) IS a bit drastic, to be honest. in my experience, whilst you dont want to hear it, losing the weight slowly (i would expect to lose about 10 pounds in two months), is easier, makes me less miserable, and when i have BAD weeks, i dont tend to pile the weight back on like i do if im on a severe calorie deficit day after day.

Almost 2 stone in about 3 months. This may sound drastic, however I have lost a hell of a lot in a shorter space of time. I have done this to get a flatter stomach, which appears to be working. Last time when I lost a lot of weight, I was just left with a lot of flab. :(