Need some help guys

Options
Ok so here is the problem. I am doing some arm exercises but i am not sure what to label them as really in the exercise part of this site. basically what i do is bend over at the waist and hold a weight in each hand. the i pull my arms up so that they are even with my back. it stretches my arm muscles and keeps me from getting the flabby arms that everyone gets when they lose arm fat. How should i enter that into the exercise list.

Also, i was wondering if carrying weights when you walk helps to burn calories. i know these are both two very silly questions but to be honest i am not the smartest cookie when it comes to this stuff (math is my strong suit :wink: )

Replies

• BigGirlB2008
    BigGirlB2008 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ok so here is the problem. I am doing some arm exercises but i am not sure what to label them as really in the exercise part of this site. basically what i do is bend over at the waist and hold a weight in each hand. the i pull my arms up so that they are even with my back. it stretches my arm muscles and keeps me from getting the flabby arms that everyone gets when they lose arm fat. How should i enter that into the exercise list.

Also, i was wondering if carrying weights when you walk helps to burn calories. i know these are both two very silly questions but to be honest i am not the smartest cookie when it comes to this stuff (math is my strong suit :wink: )
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I believe they are tricep curls. Can someone confirm this cus I'd hate to give the wrong info. :smile:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Enter the weights as "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" under cardio.

It is generally not recommended to carry weights when you walk. It will burn more calories, but may cause shoulder issues. Walking on an uneven surface will burn a lot more calories than on a flat surface.

Best of luck.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I believe they are tricep curls. Can someone confirm this cus I'd hate to give the wrong info. :smile:

Tricep kickbacks, I believe.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    They are actually called tricep extensions. When you log your strength training, just type in tricep extension. It is on there. You will find that any strength training you log in will not deduct calories. There are too many variables to actually know how many calories are being expent. Hope this helps.
  • BigGirlB2008
    Options
    Yes, thank you all very much that was exactly what i needed to know! Also thanks for the tips about the weights causing shoulder damage i already have bad shoulders so i am glad i knew that before i made it worse
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    They are actually called tricep extensions. When you log your strength training, just type in tricep extension. It is on there. You will find that any strength training you log in will not deduct calories. There are too many variables to actually know how many calories are being expent. Hope this helps.

Actually, when I log in my strength training, it does deduct calories - you have to put it in with the cardio - it only deducts 100 cals for 20 min. The bottom portion, I guess is just for charting or something :smile:
  • Anise6789
    Anise6789 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I bought Joyce Vederal CD " The complete bone building , body shaping work out. They even sell it on ebay. Its a beginner start to weight lifting. IT explains and gives names to excercises. IT is done with dumb bells. I think anyone could do it,and you can increase weights,and customize your workouts. I'd reccomend it. Good Luck
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    tricep extensions are done sitting and with the dumbell behind your head, raising it up over and behind your head; or if you want a front extension it should be done standing straight up using a nautilus machine and you push down from your chin to your waist keeping the upper arms locked.

I think your talking about butterflys. But they should be done lying on a bench. Or at a minimum, I hope you have a weight belt on when you do them.

here is a link.

http://www.shapefit.com/chest-exercises-dumbbell-flyes.html

careful with that Bonnie, from what you explained, that sounds brutal on your back.
  • BigGirlB2008
    Options
    my mom and i both are doing them and they aren't that bad. I am not strong enough to do weights with it so i use cans of soup ( it actually works ) and its not to bad on the back that i have noticed yet. i also do the sitting down kind that was metioned where you lift the weight over your head. thanks guys
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    What you are describing are called tricep extensions OR kickbacks. The ones banks described are also called extensions as well. FYI
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    What you are describing are called tricep extensions OR kickbacks. The ones banks described are also called extensions as well. FYI

Well -geez are they just trying to confuse us??? Different exercise = different name people who make this stuff up!!! :tongue:
  • SoupNazi
    Options

Well -geez are they just trying to confuse us??? Different exercise = different name people who make this stuff up!!! :tongue:

I actually think it is a conspiracy. I love a good conspiracy theory. HMMMMM:laugh:
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If you are only pulling your upper arm up with the elbow still bent toward the ground then that is a bent over row not triceps.

If you are keeping your arm straigth the whole time, it is shoulder extension (works more combination of muscles: posterior deltoid, less tricep, rotator cuff for stabilization, etc.)

Kickbacks or extensions can be done in a variety of positions: bent over in the same position as row with upper arm glued against your trunk, then only move the elbow to a straight position; standing grasp weight over head/slightly behind, dip down and back up keeping your upper arm/ elbows against your head the whole time; tricep pull downs on any equipment as well.

Yes, everyone has different names for exercises, but the muscles worked are typically the same! Never feel that you can't ask, that's why we're here! :flowerforyou: