Today is the day i stop smoking!

Options
Hey! Today i am going to attempt quitting smoking along with losing weight. I can forsee how much of a grumpy git i am going to be already!
I am therefore looking for a wee bit of help and motivation from my fellow new non-smokers. Feel free to add me!

Replies

• dididede
    dididede Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You can do it babes! Have you got patches?
    xx
  • Lindaendall
    Lindaendall Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hi there, you do not have to be a new-non smoker to be supportive of you stopping. I have not smoked for over 25 years but can still sometimes fancy the odd drag - especially when having a drink. I remember that I gained 2 stone when I did stop smoking but hey-ho, it just went along with the yo-yo dieter that I used to be.

Good luck on stopping the dreaded weed, feel free to add me as a supportive friend :drinker:

Linda
  • il_duce
    Options
    I gave up 5 years ago, make sure youve got some support. It makes it so much better and easier
  • icklekimmy
    icklekimmy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have that nicorette inhalator. I will probably end up biting it in half by the end of the week!
    Thanks folks, going to try and replace *kitten* with exercise instead of sweets. Wish me luck!
  • sueb12345678
    sueb12345678 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I gave up 9months ago one of the hardest things i have done but so glad i did it.. I smell better, i can run now and my skin looks great.
    I put on nearly a stone but what go's up must come down and im now less than when i was smoking just need to find good nibbles...
    Good Luck :wink:
  • luelmo
    luelmo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I stopped smoking two months go and the first few days are hard, but once they are over you'll be fine. I promise it isn't as bad as it seems and you'll feel so much better.
  • you can do it!!!!! :) xx
  • chrissiij
    chrissiij Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Good for you! It's this type of attitude which helps people to succeed.
  • icklekimmy
    Options
    Thanks folks!
  • mab0669
    Options
    I quit smoking on 7/30/12. I used the patch for 6 weeks and now I'm chewing nicotine gum. It is amazing how much better I feel in just 2 months. You will do fine...just keep in mind how much better you will feel, how much better you will smell (smokers stink so bad, i'm realizing now) and how much better you will breath.
  • skidlock
    Options
    Hi!

I thought I'd respond to this as someone who stopped smoking in May and has gone on to lose an additional stone since then.

Firstly, giving up smoking is amazing! I was on a 20-day habit, 30 at weekends for 5 years and since stopping I'm just so much more healthy, motivated, I can exercise better. You don't have to put on weight as you'll find exercise so much more enjoyable when you're not coughing and hacking up.

I would 100% recommend purchasing this if you haven't done so already. It's fantastic (as 818/900 5* reviews on Amazon attests) and makes you realise what nicotine is and what it does.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/014103940X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348477582&sr=8-1

Good luck!!
  • icklekimmy
    Options
    Hi!

I thought I'd respond to this as someone who stopped smoking in May and has gone on to lose an additional stone since then.

Firstly, giving up smoking is amazing! I was on a 20-day habit, 30 at weekends for 5 years and since stopping I'm just so much more healthy, motivated, I can exercise better. You don't have to put on weight as you'll find exercise so much more enjoyable when you're not coughing and hacking up.

I would 100% recommend purchasing this if you haven't done so already. It's fantastic (as 818/900 5* reviews on Amazon attests) and makes you realise what nicotine is and what it does.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/014103940X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348477582&sr=8-1

Good luck!!

Thanks! I actually bought that book a few years ago and still didnt stop smoking when I finished it :o
    I am determined to actually stop this time, its actually disgusting and totally pointless so I have no idea what has compelled me to keep smoking for so long.
  • MattBoySlim
    MattBoySlim Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I also stopped using Alan Carr's easy way to stop smoking.

I stopped Nov 11, and since then have lost around 60lbs. Dont think of it as quitting, think of it as gaining.

I cant imagine wanting to smoke full time again now, even though I smoked at least pack a day for 15 years, sure i still think about having the odd one, but the thought of being consumed by smoking again stops me.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I quit using Champix , just over 2 years ago and was one of the best decisions I ever made!
  • mneel5
    Options
    I also used to be a pack a day smoker. I am slowly decreasing the time of day I have my first cig. and it seems to be working very well! I want to be able to run again and not feel like Im going to pass out. Today I'm going to try going the first full 24hrs! Wish me luck!
  • icklekimmy
    Options
    I know its a horrible habit. Really want to stop as my dad has smoked for years and he had a TIA (mini stroke) cause by his artery being clogged up and fluffy from smoking. He had to get an operation to have it cleaned out. The thought of that actually makes me want to vomit. I think because cant see some of the damage smoking does its easy to be a moron and pretend it wont happen to you. So I WILL stop today and am stocked up on NRT so here I go!
  • icklekimmy
    Options
    I also used to be a pack a day smoker. I am slowly decreasing the time of day I have my first cig. and it seems to be working very well! I want to be able to run again and not feel like Im going to pass out. Today I'm going to try going the first full 24hrs! Wish me luck!

Good luck!
  • VickyClare75
    Options
    Hi Congrats on deciding to quit, I wish you all the best. I will be getting patches from my pharmacy in a few weeks as I too want/need to stop.

Let us know of your progress x
  • hyndsie
    Options
    i quit smoking and started my lifestyle change on the 1st of june his year, best 2 decisions ive made this year!!!
    4 months on im smoke and patch free and 44lbs lighter!!
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I never smoked, but have known plenty who have. My husband finally quit for good by using Chantix (the entire series). His first 2 attempts, he felt secure so he didn't complete the series and ended up starting back. The last time, he did the whole thing and hasn't smoked since, and I bet it's been 6 or 7 years now.

I've also known those who quit cold turkey. It likely has to do with how much you smoked per day.

I wish you all the best. I'm so glad I never started, because I see how hard it is for people to stop and I know I'd struggle too. You can do it! Re-read those people who are telling you how much better it is without that crap in your system.

Peace. :flowerforyou: