to gym or not to gym?

Options
i am a beginner. i am in need of some exercise tips. do i really need to join a gym to lose weight? i do water aerobics and i ride my exercise bike. i have dumbells for my arms and i do leg lifts and squats and what not for legs and bottom. Will i be better off going to the gym to work out? The water aerobics are very low impact because i have back problems and need to build up my core. the exercise bike is moderate. should i continue doing what i am doing for starters and join a gym later? or should i drop everything to join a gym now. i have 100 pounds to lose

Replies

• tranquilpaths
    tranquilpaths Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    No, you don't have to join a gym to lose weight. I would say you would if you want to tone your muscles, but if you have 100 lbs to lose you aren't going to see those muscles until you get your body fat percentage way down.

I would suggesting keep doing what your doing. Riding an exercise bike, walking, any aerobics exercise really to get your heart rate up, get you sweating and moving will help you lose weight fast. However, diet is more important than exercise when it comes to weight loss. You need both, but you have to eat at a calorie deficit and stick with it, in order to lose weight. This is regardless of any exercise you may be doing! :)
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You dont have to. I like the gym because it motivates me.. and i love working out with the bf! makes me feel good i can almost somewhat not really keep up with the bros lol ^^ and my brother he is fun to work out with. I see other women and see how amazing they look and it makes me want to try even harder.

If you feel like all that is working for you outside the gym then stay with that if its working. If not try out the gym bring someone to workout with you :) so you dont feel all alone and leave.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    If you already have the motivation......and the set-up to get fit at home....then I'd just ditch the gym. But yea, I like the gym because it gets me motivated.....and well, for me the Planet Fitness is only about 10 mins. away so it's all good.
  • Slimat30
    Options
    No, you don't have to join a gym to lose weight. I would say you would if you want to tone your muscles, but if you have 100 lbs to lose you aren't going to see those muscles until you get your body fat percentage way down.

I would suggesting keep doing what your doing. Riding an exercise bike, walking, any aerobics exercise really to get your heart rate up, get you sweating and moving will help you lose weight fast. However, diet is more important than exercise when it comes to weight loss. You need both, but you have to eat at a calorie deficit and stick with it, in order to lose weight. This is regardless of any exercise you may be doing! :)

^^^^^ I totally agree with this. Just get yourself moving more and track your calories. Do whatever exercise you enjoy and keep at it. Good luck honey!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 40lb and I have never been to a gym in my life!
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Honestly Gym is the most efficient solution for keeping yourself in shape.

Yes you CAN do push ups/pull ups runs OUTSIDE but that requires outside to be good weather.

You also will not get the same results just doing push ups etc that you would at a gym (assuming you are strength training)

I understand if you truly cannot afford a gym, not to get a membership, but it really is the most efficient way to achieve your goals.

If you can spare the cash, there really isn't a good reason not to.
  • erica6732
    erica6732 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    you say i have to eat at a calorie deficit. are the calories that mfp is giving me to eat already at a calorie deficit? and the more i exercise the more i have to eat?
  • erica6732
    erica6732 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your responses.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym - I refuse to join. Instead I spend my 30-40pounds a month on gym equipment at home (I've got quite a lot now and next will be weights & bench) I do a lot of cycling and jogging outside too which is sooo much nicer that sitting in a room surrounded by sweaty people. x
  • uclown2002
    uclown2002 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    you say i have to eat at a calorie deficit. are the calories that mfp is giving me to eat already at a calorie deficit? and the more i exercise the more i have to eat?

It depends on how you set up mfp to lose your weight. By default mfp doesn't factor in any exercise when you select lifestyle activity, so projected weight loss is independent of exercise.

That being the case any exercise you do, can and should be eaten back. Of course you should be mindful of inaccuracies with recording calorie burn so many people eat back somewhere between 50-100%
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I agree - you don't have to join a gym to lose weight.

Everyone is different but, for me, if I'm not going to gym it's way to easy to make excuses and not do it. There are plenty of things you can do without going to a gym.. i think it's all just personal preference.
  • needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    to loose weight you need aerobic activity not gym. gym is effective when you need to add muscles.
    swimming also is a good choice to staye in shape
  • naschulze
    Options
    I don't go to a gym but I am addicted to classes. Here's why
    1) you usually pay more for them (Although I do try to find groupons/living social deals) but because I pay more I make myself go so I get my money's worth

2) I am more motivated when I am doing the same exercises as other people. I can see people who are fitter and try to keep up with them and I just feel more a part of something when I'm in a group knowing we are all struggling with the same thing.

3) I can keep variety. I have done many kinds of classes, yoga, bootcamp, pilates, zumba etc and I love them all. I find a online deal for 30 days doing something and I just do it, it keeps my workouts interesting and I learn new things.

You just have to find what works for you. Exercise is exercise, doesn't matter if you're just walking outside for 20 minutes or lifting weights at home, just do it (and preferably enjoy it)!

:smile: