reebox easytone

Options
Has anyone tried them? I don't like the way the sketchers shoes look-so I thought about maybe the reebox ones. A girl I work with has the sketchers and let me tell you they are hard to walk in!

Replies

• mandymunchies
    Options
    My friend got a pair for Christmas and she said she isn't that impressed.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Since I just did one of these, I will repost it here--some of the specifics are directed at the skecher shoes, but they are appropriate for these as well. :

Whenever you do any type of activity, your muscles are activated in a series of patterns and sequences based on the *specific* needs of the activity. Any change in the conditions of that activity will cause a different response. If the stimulus is different enough--as it is in the case of these shoes--you will feel it. Muscles may become more easily fatigued at first or one might even notice some soreness, depending on the individual.

However, the "new" sensations provide absolutely NO evidence of any actual "training" or "toning" taking place. It's just a temporary response to a new condition. You would get the same experience walking on any uneven or unstable surface.

The question, then, is: is the "stimulus" enough to result in any real change in muscle strength or "tone"? (As opposed to just learning how to walk in these shoes). Basic exercise physiology says "NO"--for the same reason why electro stim pads, cardio exercise, all those goofy "ab blaster" type device, thighmasters, etc don't work. Ultimately, there is not enough resistance to bring about any long-term changes. Theoretically, there might be some improvement in balance and stability, but it remains to be seen whether or not that has some practical application or is anything more than a transient effect. The same with any claims that "increased muscle activation increases calorie expenditure".

I actually looked at the studies displayed on their website and I must say that the research evidence is, well, sketchy.

At best.

The use of EMG to show "increased muscle activation" is a standard smokescreen tool. ANY different muscle movement will show "increased muscle activation". Some of the crummiest ab informercial products have used the same type of research. And of course, they do not provide abstracts or any details which could be used to evaluate the research. I found it ironic that the one study that did show some data actually showed that, at walking speeds greater than 1.8 miles/hr, it appeared that there was little or no increase in the "muscle activation". compared to normal athletic shoes.

Again, it's not like this is a new idea--this concept has been tried in the past. It just takes a few years to raise a new crop of consumers who haven't heard of it before.
  • laurenbausch
    Options
    I like the NewBalance ones. . .They look totally spiffy!
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Since I just did one of these, I will repost it here--some of the specifics are directed at the skecher shoes, but they are appropriate for these as well. :

Whenever you do any type of activity, your muscles are activated in a series of patterns and sequences based on the *specific* needs of the activity. Any change in the conditions of that activity will cause a different response. If the stimulus is different enough--as it is in the case of these shoes--you will feel it. Muscles may become more easily fatigued at first or one might even notice some soreness, depending on the individual.

However, the "new" sensations provide absolutely NO evidence of any actual "training" or "toning" taking place. It's just a temporary response to a new condition. You would get the same experience walking on any uneven or unstable surface.

The question, then, is: is the "stimulus" enough to result in any real change in muscle strength or "tone"? (As opposed to just learning how to walk in these shoes). Basic exercise physiology says "NO"--for the same reason why electro stim pads, cardio exercise, all those goofy "ab blaster" type device, thighmasters, etc don't work. Ultimately, there is not enough resistance to bring about any long-term changes. Theoretically, there might be some improvement in balance and stability, but it remains to be seen whether or not that has some practical application or is anything more than a transient effect. The same with any claims that "increased muscle activation increases calorie expenditure".

I actually looked at the studies displayed on their website and I must say that the research evidence is, well, sketchy.

At best.

The use of EMG to show "increased muscle activation" is a standard smokescreen tool. ANY different muscle movement will show "increased muscle activation". Some of the crummiest ab informercial products have used the same type of research. And of course, they do not provide abstracts or any details which could be used to evaluate the research. I found it ironic that the one study that did show some data actually showed that, at walking speeds greater than 1.8 miles/hr, it appeared that there was little or no increase in the "muscle activation". compared to normal athletic shoes.

Again, it's not like this is a new idea--this concept has been tried in the past. It just takes a few years to raise a new crop of consumers who haven't heard of it before.

Sorry to hijack the post but i just wondered any the ab belts such as slender dont work? I love mine and I do see results so I am interested in your opinion, I hadnt used it since June and instead worked hard using exercise but I lost definition. Used it again for the first time this week and omg I feel like I have been beaten up in the ribs on both sides lol. Once again sorry to the original poster.