pedometer or heart rate moniter

Options
looking for something to keep track of the calories ive burnt through outthe day but which is the bet to use a pedometer or a heart rate moniter my main form of exercise is walking but i also use my exercise bike 2 or more times a week so wanting something that i could also use with that what ould you reccommend?

Replies

• Sick_Beard
    Sick_Beard Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    HRM, nowadays you actually get one that does both...
  • keasarge
    keasarge Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    heart rate moniter more acurate and able to use for all excerice
  • c2h5m8h6
    c2h5m8h6 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    HRM, nowadays you actually get one that does both...
    ohh didnt know you could get them that did both thanks
  • c2h5m8h6
    Options
    heart rate moniter more acurate and able to use for all excerice
    thank you very much i shall go and search for one now :D
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I started out with a pedometer, a really cheap one, just to give me an idea of how many steps I was taking in a day. I pretty much have a desk job and, although I expected it to be low, I was shocked at how low it was. That gave me the incentive to just start moving more. Once I got into the habit of walking more, I started going to the gym and doing more 'intentional' exercising, as opposed to just moving more. In a short while I found that I needed more information and I just recently bought the Polar FT4 HRM. It's a really basic but accurate HRM for a decent price ($65-70) and very easy to use.

A lot of people here have the FitBit and are really happy with it, too.

So, I guess it's all about what kind of inormation you're looking for.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You want something that you can use with the exercise bike. Surely you know that a pedometer does not work with an exercise bike, so why are you even asking?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You want something that you can use with the exercise bike. Surely you know that a pedometer does not work with an exercise bike, so why are you even asking?

Yawn.
  • charkane
    charkane Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i recently bought a pedometer online...@pedometersusa.com I love it not sure how many steps I need to be taking but I wear it often
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    HRMs aren't designed to calculate your calories for the whole day, just while you're exercising. I believe what you want is the FitBit because that tracks steps and calories all day so it will work while you're walking and biking. If you just want an HRM for when you're actually exercising, I would suggest the Polar HRM.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know... can a doctor "prescribe" a HRM for weight loss so my flex plan will pay for it? They can be kind of pricey.
  • c2h5m8h6
    Options
    thanks all for those of you that were rather rude wanting something i can use throughout the da im not everso bothered about using it on my exercise bike as i get most of my exercise throught walking but i didnt know if ther was something that did both thank you al who posted useful information by the ay what is fitbit??