Looking for inspiring friends

I have my router up and about at last which makes posting on my ipad so much funner. Or it would be, that is, if I had some friends to encourage me! :) I am 2 months into my weight-loss journey. I have lost 8 lbs and 2 inches from my chest (figures). Hoping the weight will start to fall off in more desirable places, like my waist! I am 5'9' 242 lbs. My goal is to get to 160, because I cannot remember what being thst small feels like. Once I get closer to that, I am sure my goals will change a bit.
Currently I am walking 5 days a week, 3 miles at a go. I am also using my stationary bike for 45 minutes 5 days a week, averaging a little over 11 miles each time. The weather is getting very brisk out, and soon it will be too cold and icy to go for my normal walk. Does anyone have any suggestions? I thought about increasing my time on the bike to make up for it, but with the added weight that gets too hard on my hips. I recently aquired a pedometer and I am hoping that will be a good incentive to be more active. I am open to any advice MFP followers have to add. Please feel free to add me as a friend.

Replies

• aydreeswyers
    aydreeswyers Posts: 1 Member
    Good Morning! I just started on this website and am very excited. :) I also love to walk, but with the chillier temps it does make it more challenging to do outside. I have a walk away the pounds dvd that I do that I LOVE!! It is called Walk Away the Pounds with Leslie Sansone. She has all different ones. It is walking in the home and you do different "moves" throughout-but nothing too crazy. :)
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Well, there's the obvious join a gym or ymca option if you can afford it. You could also check with your local town recreation department to see if they offer any indoor fitness classes (most do, and for a reasonable fee!). You could get some workout dvds to do at home. Or you could look into cold weather exercise - cross country skiing, snowshoeing, ice skating.
  • I just purchased an iPhone in August and came across myfitnesspal as a app on my phone. While cutting back on my caloric intake I needs help counting complex carbs, fats, protiens, potassium and other nutrients!I started out some 2.5 years ago along with my Mom on a weight loss reduction program. On April 1, 2010, I started this weight reduction program @603.0lbs, height 5'9" waist measured 76", with an BMI of 88.1. Having 11 health issues inwhich I'm treated by my physician with 31 prescription medications. After 18 months I had lost a good amout of weight, inches. I had in 18 months lost I had lost 187 pounds, 13 inches in my waist and and dropped down to a 62.8 BMI, but due to my congestive heart failure I started retaining fuild regained 105 lbs. in 5 months, 6 inches in my waist and a BMI of 73.7!! Just horrible. Finally in May 2012, I had to admitted back in the hospital for fuild having to increase my Lasix, but while in hospital putting it straight in the artery for quicker results!! Since the first of June (16 weeks) I have re-lost 60lbs and 5inches from my waist-line! I am feeling and breathing much much better!!! I've set a goal for myself back in 2010 that I needed to lost down to 250lbs, which would be a 353lbs weight loss and having a waist-line below 54inches, and a BMI lower than 40!! If any of you are on Facebook my name is Jimmy Van Jolly, look me up and I have contact # there or we can video chat on Facebook. I needs all the supprt I can get for this has been a battle all my life since my teenage years of life! weighing 300lbs when I entered college some 31 years ago!!! May God Bless us according to He Will and Way!!!
  • cbellanger
    cbellanger Posts: 25 Member
    I have re-lost 60lbs and 5inches from my waist-line! I am feeling and breathing much much better!!! I've set a goal for myself back in 2010 that I needed to lost down to 250lbs, which would be a 353lbs weight loss and having a waist-line below 54inches, and a BMI lower than 40!!

That is just great! Good job not giving up and pushing forward!
  • Can you be an indoor mall walker? Look for shopping centers with large concourses and walk there in the winter.
  • Feel free to add me!
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Hello and welcome to the family. Because my arthritic knees, I use the Walking Away the Pounds series. I have a few dvd's. All of them have toning bands, so I get great cardio with whole body toning. There's so many at home series you can do now. Good luck on your new adventure of weight loss, you have a great family on this site.
  • darcompagnon
    darcompagnon Posts: 4 Member
    Hi There,

I started this back in March, i weighed 175 lbs, I am now 137lbs, it takes alot of dedication and hard work. At first I was burning off about 450- 500 calories a day just doing 30 minutes on the elliptical and jump rope for 30 minutes. I was also sticking to eating about 1200-1300 calories per day. some days after i exercise i had burned off more that i ate, that net calories. Now i only burn off about 250 a day on the elliptical and do weights and ad coaster to tone up. my advise to you to watch your calorie intake and carbs, keep for carbs below 200 a day to start and your calories to whatever they recommend . I weighed everything i ate and still do. Best of luck and dont give up, this journal will really help.

Dar
  • kubyshechka
    kubyshechka Posts: 75 Member
    I use exercise videos. My favorite are Turbo Fire, Jillian Michaels Banish Fat and Janet Jenkins Cardio Bootcamp and Kickboxing Bootcamp. You can send me a friend request.
  • Hi I love Rosemary Conley dvd's they are a bit more relaxed than a lot of the 'celebrity' bandwagon ones so don't put too much pressure on hips and knees, each one has several people working at different levels so you can work at your own pace. When I started this journey I struggled just to do the warm-up of most dvd's but 6 months on and wearing my all important Skechers I can jump jack with the best of them(although it's still not a pretty sight). Also varying your exercise seems to keep the weight coming off, so somedays I walk, some I use exercise dvd's and some I do the RC salsacise DVD or EA on the WII or more usually a combination of those. Good luck with finding something that suits you.
  • Starting program on Thursday 9-27-2012 and I know it's going to be very very hard. I need to loose 67 pounds to get to my goal
    weight of 135....can't wait to wear a pair of jeans and a clean white tee shirt again. Wish me luck!

Sheila
  • vguynes
    vguynes Posts: 794 Member
    Hello. I love working out at home using DVD's. Any and all of Jillian Michael's DVD's are my favorite DVD's to workout with. Zumba DVD's are also fun. I guess you just have to find something that you like to do and stick with it. Best wishes.
  • amea412
    amea412 Posts: 15 Member
    keep up the work everyone we will lose it
  • Rockenrobbin
    Rockenrobbin Posts: 1 Member
    I just started working out 9 days ago and joined beachbody team.I have a coach I meet and work with once a week.Then the rest of the week I do 45 mins to 60 mins of Rocken body DVDs with Shawn T.So far I lost 6 pds.I wish everyone luck with losing weight it is a hard road but it is worth it.I am 42 yrs old with two kids and I weigh 234 when I started.I would like to weight 165.so I will keep pushing to get there.Just remember anything you do is better then doing nothing.Just keep moving.
  • We are all in this journey together. I am looking to be inspired and hopefully inspire people myself. Anyone feel free to add me!