Lunch Time Troubles

Options
I'm a teacher and only get 30 minutes for lunch (if I'm lucky). I am constantly struggling to find quick, healthy items that are filling yet low in calories. I don't usually have time to get to the microwave, so it needs to be safe cold and/or at room temperature. Does anyone have any suggestions for items or recipes? I haven't yet, but I'm always tempted to run down to McDonald's because I know what I've packed isn't going to fill me up!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Replies

• CharlotteLucy22
    Options
    Hey :)

Im a nurse so i totally get where you are coming from!

Before i found out i was allergic to gluten, i used to make pasta salads, I would mix pasta, low fat mayo, tuna and sweetcorn or sometimes, pasta spinach, smoked salmon and low fat mozerella

Hope that helps x
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    80 cal low carb wrap filled with PB2 and 1/2 banana. 1 hard boiled egg. Cut up veggies with bolthouse farms ranch dressing mixed with light sour cream to dip.
  • gonna_do_it_56
    gonna_do_it_56 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I make wraps...have all the ingredients ready the night before and make one up cut in half and wrap in cling film.... also read on a froum here...make your salad the night before[ no dressing] layer paper towel on the top.. and store upside down in the fridge overnight. Stops salad from getting soggy...can add fish/meat/etc in the morning.Hope this helps...
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    You can always go for a smoothie. Make it at home and bring it with you in a shaker cup. Takes very little time and if your lunch gets invaded by a student or other teacher, you can still have it without issues.
  • beckyplummer
    beckyplummer Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For Lunches when we camp I put boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the slow cooker during the week. After they cook for the day while I am at work I put them in the refridge. Right before we leave I chop it up and put fat free mayo and celery in it . I sometimes take this work for lunch on the little wheat dinner rolls that you can get at the grocery store or just the chicken salad as is. It stays great in an insultated lunch bag and you can eat it when ever..and it is get on Protein.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher too, so I understand the challenge. My typical lunches are:
    -spinach salad with either turkey, chicken, or edamame
    -deli turkey breast and reduced fat cheese on an arnold sandwich thin or cedars 80 calorie wrap, with sliced veggies (cucumbers, peppers, or carrots) and hummus or guacamole (love the 100 calorie snack packs!)
    -egg salad or tuna salad sandwich with the above described veggies. I don't like the taste of mayo so I tend to make them very dry, which helps keep the calorie count down.
    The key for me is to get some good protein and fiber, with a little bit of fat - this combination helps to fill me up.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Get one of those coolers that have the space for the ice pack. Then you don't have to worry about room temp if you want something with mayo or whatever. A sandwich on whole wheat bread, and some veggies and fruit, yogurt, whatever. Get a thermos for soup to keep it hot.
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher too and for 25 years I skimped on lunch, always easy to do when helping kids or running show rehearsals. This year I am not allowing anything to erode the 40 minute lunch time which is in our contract. I am not only eating better and losing weight, I am fresher when I'm back in the classroom working with my students. Added bonus--eating breakfast and lunch has almost elminated my post-dinner snacking. (Seriously, I used to eat from dinner to bed....)

That being said, an insulated lunch bag is a great investment. Salmon on pumpernickel, hard-boiled eggs, bananas, oranges, snap peas, apples, grapes--all very handy and healthy. While I watch tv, I often weigh and bag small portions of walnuts, etc. so that they're ready to grab on the run as well.
  • alaliberte
    Options
    I am not a teacher but also have 30 minute lunches. I pride myself in being uber organized to make my lunch work for me. running or biking on my lunch and eating at my desk when I get back...not sure if that is an option for you or not. half the time I'm eating the new raw bars that you see everywhere. they pack a caloric punch with no drag afterwards...perfect for working with energetic kids in the afternoon!

hard boiled egg...yes...essential for topping a spinich salad with cucumber and carrots. all will stay fresh in your lunch cooler until it's time to eat them. trick is to not put dressing on salad the night before. In fact just skip the dressing (or use a little olive oil and salt).

I also agree with the post about the smoothie....but, it will get room temp and not taste as good. Maybe try ice to keep it cold?

I hope this was helpful.