eating back exercise calories

Options
i am a beginner. mfp says i need to eat 1370 calories to lose 2 pounds per week. then it says i need to eat 400 more calories when i ride my exercise bike in the morning. do i really need to eat the extra 400 calories when i exercise? i thought cutting calories and exercising was what made you lose weight in the first place. would it be okay if i ate only the minumin 1200 or should i stick with 1370. 1370 is 1000 cal less than what i need to maintain my weight. i have to lose 100 pounds. please help!!!

Replies

• LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Opinions are split as to whether you should eat back exercise calories. I go by if I'm hungry I will eat up to half of those calories back as MFP sometimes over-estimates what you would have burned.

Stick to 1370. I'm eat 1340ish and lose 1-2lb a week (it's set or me to lose 1lb).
  • cheaton13
    cheaton13 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Opinions are split as to whether you should eat back exercise calories. I go by if I'm hungry I will eat up to half of those calories back as MFP sometimes over-estimates what you would have burned.

Stick to 1370. I'm eat 1340ish and lose 1-2lb a week (it's set or me to lose 1lb).

I totally agree! I don't find as much success if I eat back the exercise calories all of the time. If I am hungry after the workout then I try and eat something with protein to help my body recover.
  • shantay31
    shantay31 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    wow.. mfp tells me to eat 2400 cal and when i work out it gives me more but on an average day for me i eat no more then 1700 cal i didn't even know it was 1000 under for 2 lbs a week thanks now i know why i lost 19pounds in 15 days thanks this helps maybe i can relax a little