good fats in your diet - question from newbie

Options
i've been reading about good fats vs. bad fats. what are the good fats that we need to eat on a daily basis? can anyone give me some suggestions on how to incorporate them into my diet? is it true that your body needs these fats in order to burn fat? i was told that if you don't eat the good fats your body will hold on to the stored fat?

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Lard is actually good for you and heart health. Studies have found that lard lowers small particle LDL (the worst kind), raises HDL (the good kind) and lowers triglycerides.
    One of my doctors is a vegetarian with high triglycerides. (Oh the irony).

Unnatural transfats are probably the only fats with evidence showing bad health impact.
    Butter is healthier than margarine. But you will never hear this from the food czars in DC. To bureaucrats there is only their way which is often divergent from the correct way.:bigsmile:
  • crazyACElady
    Options
    Almonds, avacado, olive oil, chia seed, flax seed etc- all good fats. My trick to incorporating them into my diet is using flax seed or chia seed and putting it in my meal replacement shakes.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Omega 3 fats - you can't make them you have to eat them. Eat fish 3 times a week.

Something will go wrong if you're short of them, but I doubt it's specifcally about using fat from your reserves.