I wish I never became a vegetarian

Options
I am so hungry :(

I don't eat meat, fish.

Don't like tofu ,lentils, nuts, eggs, kidney beans,soya. grr wth is wrong with me.

Sorry,I am frustrated! I feel like im living on fruit and vegetables and vegetarian sausages. Can anyone help? I don't want to go back to eating meat, its gross :(

Replies

• ambervargo
    ambervargo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Do you like eggs in any form? I find I mostly just like hard boiled egg whites.

Try rice dishes or even rice and beans like black beans or red beans. Pasta has a lot of possibilities with eggplant and vegetarian sausages.

You don't like nuts, does that include all nut butters? PB and J is always a good choice if not.

Try some other grains like barley and quinoa. You can try couscous, too.

If you aren't vegan, there are lots of possibilities if you include cheese and other dairy products
  • sineadmm
    sineadmm Posts: 190
    Options
    ''Try some other grains like barley and quinoa. You can try couscous, too. ''

Thank you,I've never tried any of these! I will make sure to :) And. pasta with vegetarian sausages! Never thought to combine those two! Thanks again!
  • Nicmc8
    Nicmc8 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Just curious as to why you became a vegetarian? I read "Skinny *****" and became Vegan for about 3 months! I am with you meat is gross... however I do still have it about once a week... if I don't think about it!

I know you said you do not like soy, I was not a fan either, however I did find a smoothie that I had for breakfast that really filled me up. I used 1 cup of Vanilla Soymilk and 1 cup of mixed berries/fruit... blend and enjoy! Great on the go breakfast.

Also the cookbook "Skinny ***** in the Kitch" has some great vegan receipes.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    My daughter is a vegetarian who has some strong dislikes - she won't touch mushrooms for example and they're a staple in many vegetarian recipes. Here is a link to a booklet she found useful: http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/library/publications/year/1998/vegedge.pdf
    She also discovered East Indian cuisine and found a variety of meals she really likes. Some other ethnic cuisines also have good vegetarian dishes. Give it a try; you never know what you'll discover :wink:
  • pea26
    pea26 Posts: 23
    Options
    Theres lots of veggie options.
    Quorn is probably the best i find, especially if you buy the mince or the chicken style pieces because once you add them to a sauce there lovely! EVen my other half who is always slagging off what i eat, enjoys them too. Perhaps try them with curry? chilli con carne? mexican wraps? spag bol?
    I think as long as you create really flavoursome foods, the meat factor isnt missed anymore, your only really using meat substtutes to bulk out a dish i find.

Also supermarkets do there own brand sachets, such as burger mix, sausage mix, these im not so keen but you might like them

If you have a holland and barrett shop where you are, they have meatfree things like -porkless pork pies, salami sticks, scotch eggs. All i love, just gives my diet some excitement.

I been a veggie for aout 14years now, when i started it felt like my life was stir fry and veg, but with the veggie industry expanding and my cooking skills on the up, i find i can eat almost anything a meat-eating person can.

goodluck, im sure with a bit of hard work youl find some dishes you really enjoy

xxx
  • mdale2
    mdale2 Posts: 79
    Options
    Go read "The Vegetarian Myth" by Lierre Keith.

It may be a good explanation as to why it's not an optimal diet for everyone.... I tried eating faux meat for a while. Then I realized...why? I'm still hungry an hour after eating it and I still crave meat.

(*runs from flames*)
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Why did you become a vegetarian? I have been one for 16 years and really don't miss meat, but I never liked it much growing up to begin with. For me, it was the best choice since my body was never happy after having a steak. It is a personal choice and I have learned all about new foods to broaden my menu.

Have you ever tried tempeh or seitan? Both are excellent if added to dishes. Quinoa is loaded with protein compared to using pasta. You can do so much with it.

You should look into various recipes because eating just pasta and vegetarian substitutes can get old after a while. Try reading Vegetarian Times. There are cookbooks out there for people with much more simple tastes if you want something not too complicated but still good.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I am having similiar issues with my teenage daughter. She is not a vegan, she is not a vegetarian. She doesn't like vegetables but she doesn't eat meat like chicken, beef or pork. She does eat fish and shrimp but sometimes that can be expensive. It's hard to try to accomodate her when everyone else in the house eats meat and I am cooking two seperate meals....again...expensive. She just eats the sides that we have sometimes but if its veggies, she won't touch it...if it is rice or meatless pasta, she'll all over it.

I'm not sure what to do. I cook...I'm not a chef but I get by to feed my family nutritious meals...unfortunately her diet is stressing me out and I don't know what to do.
  • lawkat
    Options
    There are a lot of vegetarian cookbooks out there. There are some out there for kids and teenagers because they can be so picky. They provide a lot of meals that don't just contain rice or pasta, which can pack on the pounds if one is not careful. Can you encourage her to make her own meals so you aren't doing both? That way she can learn to cook healthy meals for herself when she eventually gets out into the world. (I say this because I know far too many people who don't know how to cook healthy or even boil water).
  • pannellkat
    Options
    There are a lot of vegetarian cookbooks out there. There are some out there for kids and teenagers because they can be so picky. They provide a lot of meals that don't just contain rice or pasta, which can pack on the pounds if one is not careful. Can you encourage her to make her own meals so you aren't doing both? That way she can learn to cook healthy meals for herself when she eventually gets out into the world. (I say this because I know far too many people who don't know how to cook healthy or even boil water).

I've seen some cookbooks that I really want to pick up for her but it all goes back to making seperate meals between her and my other two little ones and hubby oh and myself. Maybe I will find a few recipes we can ALL enjoy. Between the teenager, the 7 year old, te 3 year old and hubby...it's hard to find that median and be healthy at the same time. Sure..a CHEESE PIZZA is a median...everyone loves it...but I don't want them eating that crap all the time. I'll start looking on line for some recipes. Thanks.
  • JoyceDoerr
    Options
    I too am a vegetarian. As a vegetarian, I still cook a lot of the same meals I did before, just without the meat.

Morning Star brand has a lot of really good options and a lot of their stuff you can't even tell it isn't the real thing! I gave the Morning Star BBQ Riblets to my teenage son and he didn't even realize it wasn't meat he was eating!
    There are many different products out there now to help vegetarians!
  • lawkat
    Options
    You can certainly make a healthy pizza. Use a whole wheat crust and add lots of veggies to it. There is also veggie sausage and pepperoni that you can use to get more protein. They are equally good and everyone is eating well. You can omit meat from chili and add some vegetable protein that Morningstar makes. If you like stir fry, you can use seitan instead of chicken which is loaded with protein. It can be difficult to make different meals for different people.
  • pannellkat
    Options
    I too am a vegetarian. As a vegetarian, I still cook a lot of the same meals I did before, just without the meat.

Morning Star brand has a lot of really good options and a lot of their stuff you can't even tell it isn't the real thing! I gave the Morning Star BBQ Riblets to my teenage son and he didn't even realize it wasn't meat he was eating!
    There are many different products out there now to help vegetarians!

I've gone thru the morning star almost the entire line, from the bacon to the sausage patties to the bbq riblets to the chicken nuggets and then.......she starts getting tired of it. I will find a way.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I am so hungry :(

I don't eat meat, fish.

Don't like tofu ,lentils, nuts, eggs, kidney beans,soya. grr wth is wrong with me.

Sorry,I am frustrated! I feel like im living on fruit and vegetables and vegetarian sausages. Can anyone help? I don't want to go back to eating meat, its gross :(

I agree, meat is gross. I was full vegetarian for a year or so, and then I added chicken, turkey and a little fish back into my diet. I didn't like any of the meat alternatives, and I wasn't left with much to choose from since I'm not a fan of vegetables. I find eggs and dairy icky too if I think about it. I have a lot of food issues. I'm sorry you're struggling, but think of it this way...not eating meat means a lot less fast food temptation. I was a fast food junkie before I became vegetarian, and now, with my only option being chicken, I rarely have fast food.

Use your veggie sausage in any of the dishes you would have eaten with meat- spaghetti, on pizza (or go with cheese and pineapple...mmm), kidney beans are actually pretty tasteless in chili- all you taste are the spices, lasagna, etc.

Stuffed cabbage with brown rice and vegetable sausage:

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/11094?section=

Cheesy spaghetti squash with veggie sausage:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Cheesy-Spaghetti-Squash-Recipe