Favorite Milk Alternative?

Options
I love milk and have yet to be able to find an alternative I like. I've tried rice, almond, and soy milks.
I am trying to stop using milk, mainly as a smoothie base because of how high-calorie it is.
It recently occurred to me that we are not baby cows and shouldn't drink what they do. Weight-wise, I mean.

Replies

• EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I am an almond milk unsweetened fan. But you see, I don't eat/drink food because it tastes good, I eat/drink it strictly for the micronutrients. You could say I am eating to live not living to eat....
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I love milk and have yet to be able to find an alternative I like. I've tried rice, almond, and soy milks.
    I am trying to stop using milk, mainly as a smoothie base because of how high-calorie it is.
    It recently occurred to me that we are not baby cows and shouldn't drink what they do. Weight-wise, I mean.

Totally agree, milk is for baby mammals and not for adults
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I do unsweetened vanilla almond milk and :heart: it so hard.
  • projectxreborn
    Options
    I tried different soy milks and didn't care for a few but I really like the Original Silk (red carton) or the Almond Fresh Vanilla
    flavored. If you do completely stop using milk and one day try to drink a glass of it you may notice what I did...milk smells
    absolutely disgusting.
  • HealthyNurseK
    HealthyNurseK Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm an unsweetened almond milk fan too. I don't drink it by glass ever, but add it to smoothies or put it in cereal on the rare occasion I eat that.

What are you finding you need milk for? Maybe that would help you determine the best type of "milk" for each food? Have you tried making your own almond milk? You might like that better.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is my fav! I'll do rice as well, but prefer almond.
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm not easily grossed out, but when a co-worker questioned me by asking if I think it is gross that I'm drinking the milk/secretion of another animal ... i almost quit milk cold turkey.

Almond Milk for me baby ...love it. actually look forward to drinking it.
  • sionnain
    Options
    almond is the best - actually if you can find the almond/coconut blend (usually in the refrigerated dairy section. i get a half gallon of unsweetened for drinking and sweetened for baking. yum!
  • bluebug53
    bluebug53 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I love Almond milk!
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Try coconut milk, there are several brand name and store brand varieties, it's a preference thing. I buy either almond or coconut, whatever I have a coupon for. You can get a low as 35 calories/1 cup, great deal!!!!!!
  • amandamaedchen
    Options
    I didn't even know you can make almond milk! I might try that. I usually drink milk in smoothies, although I have a glass occasionally. I crave it, I don't know why. But I'm trying to replace it because I know it's not very healthy.
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I love Alpro Hazelnut milk.....once you get past the fact it's not milk coloured......it's delish and is even nice in my coffee!
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk, both unsweetened and vanilla flavors. I also enjoy coconut milk!
  • amandamaedchen
    Options
    I think I'm going to try unsweetened almond milk. I don't think I ever bought the unsweetened kind. That was what I didn't like about it--it was too sweet.
  • rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I do unsweetened vanilla almond milk and :heart: it so hard.

Me too. Blue Diamond Almond Breeze.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I love Silk unsweetened vanilla almond milk, as well, but not for straight out drinking. I can put it on my cereal, use it with protein powder, etc., but don't care to simply drink it. I've also found that occasionally there are things it just doesn't seem to mix well with. My husband prefers Silk light vanilla soy milk. I still drink skim or 1% milk on the weekends with breakfast. I like it and really don't see a reason to never, ever drink it again.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I'm not easily grossed out, but when a co-worker questioned me by asking if I think it is gross that I'm drinking the milk/secretion of another animal ... i almost quit milk cold turkey.

Almond Milk for me baby ...love it. actually look forward to drinking it.

Almonds are very hard to milk, they have tiny nipples.

Not eating/drinking something because we're not 'baby mammals' is kind of a funny reason. We eat a lot of things that we really shouldn't be, but are available due to agriculture and technology.
  • row_rivers
    row_rivers Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    unsweetened vanilla almond breeze
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Oat milk is pretty good and has 3 grams of protein vs. < 1 gram for almond milk
  • quiltingducky
    quiltingducky Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    We like the vanilla flavored soy milk in my household. The kids have had it just in a glass and in cereal. I have had it in cereal and smoothies. I never was one to just drink milk straight from the glass.