Running for beginners

Options
I have tried several times to start running, but the longest I have ever lasted without wanting to pass out was 2 blocks. The few times I've pushed myself longer I've felt sick for a couple days afterward (which has put me off running). So, I have lots of questions!

Does anyone have any running/jogging tips for the most beginning of beginners?

AND:

How do I strengthen my ankle muscles?

How do I breathe correctly?

Do I carry water with me, or drink before/after?

What kinds of stretches do I do before a run?

Is jogging better than running? What's the difference?

Why do I feel so sick when I push myself really hard? Is there a way to prevent that, or do I just need to build up endurance?

Any tips/suggestions/advice, etc. are most welcome!!

Replies

• tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I have tried several times to start running, but the longest I have ever lasted without wanting to pass out was 2 blocks. The few times I've pushed myself longer I've felt sick for a couple days afterward (which has put me off running). So, I have lots of questions!

Does anyone have any running/jogging tips for the most beginning of beginners?

AND:

How do I strengthen my ankle muscles? Run

How do I breathe correctly? Breath in and out it helps

Do I carry water with me, or drink before/after? you don't need water

What kinds of stretches do I do before a run? none

Is jogging better than running? What's the difference? If you pass someone you are running if some one passes you you are jogging

Why do I feel so sick when I push myself really hard? Is there a way to prevent that, or do I just need to build up endurance? Run slower

Any tips/suggestions/advice, etc. are most welcome!!
    Start Slow and slow down until you can jog and talk.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml

You'll start off running just one minute at a time, then walking, then running, etc. If that's too much, run slower. So slow you could almost walk faster. If that's still too much, go for 30 seconds instead.
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Try the couch 2 5K running app. I have never been a runner either - EVER but I hated exercising and I figured running would get it done the fastest! Take it slow (your pace) and rest when it says to rest. I finished the app about 2 months ago and I'm now running 4-5 miles almost every day. I'm still not fast about a 10 - 10.5 min mile and thats OK I prefer to run distance than speed. I have done 3 5K's, again not to try and win but more to say "I did it" and I love getting a free t-shirt.
  • shannonmci
    shannonmci Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Good Morning. Good for you for wanting to jog/run. I have only been running since May so I probably can't offer the best advise out there. I did the Couch to 5K program. From someone who has never ran before, I swear by this program! There were a couple of the weeks that I had to repeat as I did not feel comfortable moving to the next level, but that is the great thing about this program. If you need to repeat a week, so be it. I do not take water with me as I only run about 2.5 to 3 miles each run. I really don't feel like I need it. Run/jog at your own pace, especially starting out. If I start out too fast, I can definitely tell in my breathing! As far as how to breath 'correctly', I don't have an answer for that. I just breath. It does take about the first half mile or so for me to feel like I am breathing steadily. I'm sure you will get some great advise on this site in regards to running. Just have fun with it!
  • stepmark
    stepmark Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I started in late August 2012 on MFP and "Jogging"; the below helped me:
    1) Go to: http://www.mapmyrun.com/ sign up and then find your neighborhood and map out a short route (say .5 mile).
    2) Buy good running shoes, everyone has different selections for their feet, it might take you a couple of shoe brands to find yours. Note: buy at least a 1/2 to one full size larger running shoe than your normal shoe size...when you jog/run your feet expand and you'll need that extra room.
    3) Jog (not 'run') as far as you can on your route in step 1); then walk to catch your breathe; then jog again as far as you can, then walk to catch your breathe. Repeat for as long as you can (goal could be: at least 30 minutes to 45 minutes). Don't push yourself too much in the first week or so.
    4) repeat step 3) at least 3 times a week.
    5) log everything you eat in MFP :)

I read a quote on MFP that really helped me...."Your mind will give out before your legs will...". I hate 'running' or jogging and I keep reminding myself everytime I go jogging..."Your mind will give out before your legs will".

It's taken me 3 weeks, but I can now Jog 5k without walking to catch my breathe.

You can do it!
  • DMUND
    DMUND Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If I can do it....you can do it!!! I just started back up after a few year absence from running, but really have never been serious. What I know now and what I knew back in 2009...world of difference!!! Before, I just ran, didn't worry about form, breathing, strengthening muscle, etc....it bit me in the *kitten* and ended up with knee trouble (that's why I took a leave from running). After I started MFP, I soon realized I wanted to once again incorporate running into my weekly regimen. I started C25K and truly loved it, but felt I could skip some weeks and well, never finished it, but instead focused on strengthening my leg muscles, squats, lunges, bike rides, anything to get my leg muscles strong. Once they were strong, everything else fell into place. This past weekend I ran the longest that I had which was 3.6 miles, but I easily could have done at least 4 miles if not 5. Once you find your stride, your breathing, and learn to RELAX...it will come naturally. You shouldn't have to "force" yourself to run. I am now starting to push myself to go a little faster, but I am also listening to my body and slow down a bit to catch my breath, but never stop jogging...just slow up the pace.

I wish you the best of luck with your running!! Feel free to add me for support! I am always up for keeping everyone going!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I posted this in another thread this morning.....
    A year should give you plenty of time to prepare.

At the risk of stating the obvious the best way to get started is to (assuming you have a decent pair of runners already - if not go to a running specialty store to get fitted) is to lace up your runners and get out the door.

Depending on your current level of fitness you may start with walking alone or walking and brief (slow) running intervals (when I stared it was 10 min walking, 1 min "running"*). As your fitness improves add time to your running intervals and shorten the walking breaks until you can run 10 minutes with a 1 minute walk break. When you can comfortably do that start adding time to your running intervals.

1) Progress at a conservative rate. Most running injuries are the result of trying to do too much, too soon too fast.

2) Run consistently - 3 or 4 times per week (on alternating days) Focus on endurance rather than speed.

3) Cross train - strength, core, bicycling, swimming will all help you improve your overall fitness. Strength and core will both make you a better, more injury resistant runner.

4) Be patient with yourself, listen to your body. Dynamic stretching / warm up before a run and static stretching / cool down after a run.

5) Consider entering some shorter distance races (5K & 10K) between now and your target half marathon.

6) Have fun!

* I was so slow to start with most people would have probably called it red-faced, sweaty shuffling :laugh:

don't worry about the differentiation between jogging and running, humans either walk (one foot constantly in contact with the ground) or run (both feet, no matter how briefly, off the ground at some point in the stride). Iforget who is supposed to have said it but (I'm paraphrasing) "The difference between a runner and a jogger is the signature on a race entry form"

As to breathing, focus on relaxed, deep breathing. If you're short of breath or gasping for air slow down.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml

You'll start off running just one minute at a time, then walking, then running, etc. If that's too much, run slower. So slow you could almost walk faster. If that's still too much, go for 30 seconds instead.
    This. I've always been an athlete, but have HATED running. Now, after doing C25K, I'm running 3x a week and loving it.
  • awilmeri
    awilmeri Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I posted this in another thread this morning.....
    A year should give you plenty of time to prepare.

At the risk of stating the obvious the best way to get started is to (assuming you have a decent pair of runners already - if not go to a running specialty store to get fitted) is to lace up your runners and get out the door.

Depending on your current level of fitness you may start with walking alone or walking and brief (slow) running intervals (when I stared it was 10 min walking, 1 min "running"*). As your fitness improves add time to your running intervals and shorten the walking breaks until you can run 10 minutes with a 1 minute walk break. When you can comfortably do that start adding time to your running intervals.

1) Progress at a conservative rate. Most running injuries are the result of trying to do too much, too soon too fast.

2) Run consistently - 3 or 4 times per week (on alternating days) Focus on endurance rather than speed.

3) Cross train - strength, core, bicycling, swimming will all help you improve your overall fitness. Strength and core will both make you a better, more injury resistant runner.

4) Be patient with yourself, listen to your body. Dynamic stretching / warm up before a run and static stretching / cool down after a run.

5) Consider entering some shorter distance races (5K & 10K) between now and your target half marathon.

6) Have fun!

* I was so slow to start with most people would have probably called it red-faced, sweaty shuffling :laugh:

don't worry about the differentiation between jogging and running, humans either walk (one foot constantly in contact with the ground) or run (both feet, no matter how briefly, off the ground at some point in the stride). Iforget who is supposed to have said it but (I'm paraphrasing) "The difference between a runner and a jogger is the signature on a race entry form"

As to breathing, focus on relaxed, deep breathing. If you're short of breath or gasping for air slow down.

This is great and said in such a positive way! I am trying to integrate more running into my work out routines(mainly do elliptical but want more of a challenge). I made it three miles mostly running Saturday but took yesterday off. Man I felt it! Which was awesome. :)
  • tephey
    tephey Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm another fan of the C25K program. I have never ran/jogged in my life. I'm a big girl and never thought I'd be able to run 25 mins at a time without stopping, but here on Week 7 of the program, I'm doing it. It's not easy peasy, but I'm getting done. My jog is as slow as a walk, but right now, all I care about is to jog the whole time. Once I complete the training, I'll work on speed. - I guess that is my best advice. Go at your own pace. Working on going longer than faster. I've already downloaded the 5k210k app and plan on starting it once I've completed this program. -- Have fun out there. It may be hard while your doing it, but the satisfaction of getting it done is so worth it!