Young adult girls trying to lose weight

Options
13»

Replies

• peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    "Young adult" generally refers to middle school, I believe. The term you're looking for is "young women". You're an adult, stop calling yourself a girl.

OH you're a troll, good to know :)
    I actually agree with this. I thought the title was misleading. "Young Adult Girls" sounds .... strange.
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Well I think it depends on the person. I've seen way too many kids/ young adults that are obese. Then you have the normal kids who don't want to be fat to they'll do anything to be thin. Vanity has taken over. We should be teaching over health not just the numbers on the scale. I've even see some grown women say they want to get back to there high school or college weight. I'm like really. Seems like there's just no middle ground. It's extreme left or extreme right.
  • altacosturabeth
    altacosturabeth Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I was saving up for the surgery where you get fat from one part of your body and put it into your butt -.

No, no, no. You don't want to add fat to your glutes, add muscle. You'd be saddened to know that your body could simply choose to absorb the extra fat you have injected in. It's a lot of pain and risk for little to no results.

Deadlifts, squats, lunges. These will improve the size and composition of your glutes more than surgery ever will. Your glutes are a major muscle, not fat.

I said 'I was', that was in my previous mindset :) now I'm not even bothered about adding anything to it. I'll keep it the way it is :)
  • misfitswayoflife
    misfitswayoflife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    When I was in Grade 12 I was so upset to be 120 pounds... I wanted to be the 95 pounds I was when I was 15!! Stupid I know.. Now I'd love to be at 120 :P BUt it may not go that way...
  • areufnkiddingme
    areufnkiddingme Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm 18 since March of this year. And I realize that I am still growing in some areas but when it comes to my body, I don't think that what I have is still considered "baby fat", it's just actual fat. I have excess weight for my height and body built. I'm here to finally control my eating habits and hopefully lose weight in a healthy way. I want to be able to maintain good eating habits throughout my life. And I doubt that my height and other body parts will grow more than what they already have.

And I don't think you should be judging young women, because you don't know them personally and what they might go through, health wise, because of their excess weight. If everyone thought like you then all the young kids (10 and up) wouldn't be put on programmes and summer camps to help them early on to lose the weight and improve their healths.

Honey, I didn't shed all my baby fat until I was 24. I gained weight and still had people telling me I looked thinner just because I was shaping out differently and losing that baby fat.

Secondly, I don't think the OP attacked all young girls the way you seem to be implying. She didn't say that if YOU ARE CLEARLY OBESE you should do nothing about it just because you are young. All she said was that during your younger years you should maybe be forgiving and realize that your body STILL changes. It's not true in all cases, but it never gets talked about, so why not put it out into the open so that someone who hasn't considered it and thinks that all hormonal changes come to a dead stop at 16 years old could re-evaluate and figure out if they are trying to lose weight or just go back to a shape that is no longer possible?
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I think I'm probably one of these girls.

I'm 17 and about 7 months ago I was 130lbs (at 5'3) so not massive but I could have lost a few pounds. Which I have and I'm now 112lbs. I was never over weight but I would always carry around an extra 10lbs or so that I could have lost if I'd have tried.

I know I've suffered from body image problems from around the age of 8 at the minimum. And they grew and grew and grew until I suffered really badly from mental health issues. I didn't even want to be around anymore because I just thought everything about me was so ugly that I had no reason to be here.

So anyway, those 7 months ago I decided that maybe I could lose some weight and all my problems would be solved and I'd be happy. But I was completely wrong. Now I still feel as bad about myself. I probably should have realised that my weight wasn't the biggest thing that needed to change, it was my brain. And I think that's probably the same issue that quite a few other girls around my age are dealing with.

That probably sounded like I was rambling on in a 'woe is me' manner but I just wanted to share my wee story!

This is so true! Thank you for being so honest!!
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    If "second phase" of puberty means "start eating like *kitten*" then yeah, I went through exactly that.

What I think is important is to not generalize ANYONE from any age group.. That's like me saying, "well you're getting old so it's normal to get fat."

I'm 22, I've lost just over 20 lbs that I gained from eating garbage and empty calories, and I've never been this physically fit in my life. In my opinion, I needed to start eating right and exercising NOW before it's too late.. My mother, my grandmother, and even my great grandmother are ALL overweight. By a lot. They have numerous health problems. I'll pass on that. So instead of waiting til I'm 30 and obese, I'm working on myself NOW.

My mother was SKINNY when she was my age. And she slowly let herself deteriorate. It's not even about an IMAGE thing, it's a health thing for me. She's only 45 and had cancer.. Not that I'm saying that by being fit and healthy I won't get it myself.. But I'd like to lower my chances.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'd imagine many if not most of the girls who list their age as 18 or 19 are really 15 or 16. Sadly.
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. While I'm also in the 18-25 group (getting ready to turn 19 in December!), I do see a lot of that on here. Many girls are worried about "looking right" or something, but they fail to realize that their bodies are changing and growing in ways they aren't accustomed to.

Personally, my weight gain was caused by medication and I'm at least 35 lbs overweight and plan on figuring out where to go with my weight when I reach 150-ish, so I'm not on here unnecessarily...as far as I know.
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    "Young adult" generally refers to middle school, I believe. The term you're looking for is "young women". You're an adult, stop calling yourself a girl.

I disagree. Middle school ages are basically children. Barely reaching their early teen years.
    "Young adult" signifies that they are an adult, but barely making their way into adulthood...meaning a teenager, who is leaving their high school phase and learning to be an adult. At least, that's my opinion.