HRM or User Error?

Options
I've got the New Balance N4 (for women) HRM. I've noticed as a normal on my runs it reads my highest bpm is 240. I'm 99.9% sure I'd be dead if my bpm got that high.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm wondering if perhaps the chest strap is not tight enough, or the HRM is faulty. Maybe it's time to trade it for a fitbit.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have a New Balance N4. How long have you had it? I've only had mine give me crazy readings like that once, and it was the chest strap battery needing to be replaced.

Every so often it will read high or drop the connection, but it's usually because when I'm just beginning my workout, and either the sensors are wet enough, or the strap is too loose, like you mentioned.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    When does it do this in your run? Is it early in the run?

Most HRM straps conduct better when there is moisture between the sensor and your body. So if it takes a while for you to sweat, you can get funky readings. I always solved that by just putting some warm water on the sensor right before I put it on to go out.

If it's a real issue you can buy the same gel they use for doing ultrasounds,etc.
  • WEB3
    WEB3 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    When does it do this in your run? Is it early in the run?

Most HRM straps conduct better when there is moisture between the sensor and your body. So if it takes a while for you to sweat, you can get funky readings. I always solved that by just putting some warm water on the sensor right before I put it on to go out.

If it's a real issue you can buy the same gel they use for doing ultrasounds,etc.

My problem too. I wipe mine after putting it on and problem solved. No more 200+ beats per minute.
    Also I find that when I am sitting and the strap is not tight against my chest, I get incorrect readings.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar, not a new balance. I only get weird readings when the battery needs to be changed. However, to be sure you are using it right, make sure the sensors on the chest strap are wet before putting the chest strap on.
  • Miche11e5
    Miche11e5 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have the same HRM and I think that it picks up interferance of some kind on occassion - maybe from power lines or cars driving by? Have you ever worn yours in the car while driving? It says that my HR is like 240 - sitting in the car driving! Thats why I think that a vehicle driving by may throw it off during a run.
  • MericoX
    MericoX Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    So.. I figured out why my heart rate was off. I carry my phone (plays my music) in the same hand that I have the watch on, and it must have either been picking up interferance or reading the bass from the music as bpm.

So great news, I'm not a zombie out doing the zombie shuffle... just an idiot with an iphone lol.