Fact or Fiction? Starvation mode?

Options

Replies

• MommaSpunk
    Options
    If you're overweight, then throw all concern about "starvation mode" out the window. It won't happen.

LMAO This had me rolling!
  • LeeLee0415
    Options
    To an extent its true. When I was 15 I went without power for two weeks with no money just canned food. I wont get into details but I went to school just to eat free school lunch, and in those two weeks i lost 15lbs. No exercising.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    True "starvation mode" is when your body begins to burn lean muscle for fuel, due to a lack of fuel availability elsewhere, either in calories consumed, or stored in fats. It is an actual thing, and it does not happen until you're as lean as you can be - about 6% body fat for men. So most of us here don't need to worry about that kind of starvation mode.

However, it's still true that if you consistently net less than your body needs to function, your body will assume this is the "new normal" and compensate by slowing metabolic function. It'll still burning fat for fuel, but your rate of weight loss will slow. This is not "starvation mode," but it's usually what people mean when they talk about it here.

Agreed with one clarifying point. Your body can and will burn lean muscle for fuel at higher percentage BF% if there is a large calorie deficit and/or no resistance training. At a very low BF% is will basically burn primarily muscle.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    sorry but its been proved a myth

not.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

You keep saying that... why? I'd love to see a cited source.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/pdf/postmedj00315-0056.pdf

This study indicates that you will not stop losing weight assuming you are in a calorie deficit. It is one of the definitions used on here as 'starvation mode' - this interpretation of it is a myth. It does not address body composition or metabolic adaptation though.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    True "starvation mode" is when your body begins to burn lean muscle for fuel, due to a lack of fuel availability elsewhere, either in calories consumed, or stored in fats. It is an actual thing, and it does not happen until you're as lean as you can be - about 6% body fat for men. So most of us here don't need to worry about that kind of starvation mode.

However, it's still true that if you consistently net less than your body needs to function, your body will assume this is the "new normal" and compensate by slowing metabolic function. It'll still burning fat for fuel, but your rate of weight loss will slow. This is not "starvation mode," but it's usually what people mean when they talk about it here.

And that's the important part. It doesn't matter what we call it--the term as we have come to mean it represents a physiological response that is absolutely TRUE.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    When weight loss has stalled in the past, I discovered that I was under-estimating my calorie count. Sure - I'd measured out 1200 calories for meals but had also "tasted" food while I was preparing meals. Those little nibbles can really add up! I assume this happens to other people, too.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options

Ahh the other myth..................you can't eat below BMR
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Why anyone would want to be hungry while loosing weight is beyond me so who cares if it's real or not. Eat 10-20% below your TDEE than getting to goal is so easy!
  • careyannal
    Options
    I don't think "starvation mode" is real, but I do know that I plateaued after eating to low calories and didn't start losing again until I increased them.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    So is it real? Or just an excuse to eat more?

Fact - although I hate to refer to it as 'starvation mode'. But consistently eating below your BMR will cause your body to adapt to the shortage of fuel slowing down your metabolism causing plateau's.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

I'd love to see the proof.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options

The last paragraph explains why a significant portion of people on MFP do not see noticeable results. Specifically, they purposely or unknowingly engaged in chronic calorie restriction for much of their adult life and then cut energy availability even further when actively trying to lose weight - the result is a very depressed RMR and impaired satiety signaling.
  • Lookingforfitat40
    Options

You keep saying that... why? I'd love to see a cited source.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/pdf/postmedj00315-0056.pdf

SAVED!!!
    Thank you.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Read "Then Just Say Fat" by Shannon Sorrells (£3.25 on Kindle)

I have been pondering on the number of reiterating threads starting "I have been following the MFP 1200 rules but I haven't lost any weight for months, what am I doing wrong". This usually provokes a plethora of "X-spurts" writing about eating the wrong sort of calories.

and I am thinking that maybe this should be telling us something?

I am currently on 600 to 700 Monday to Friday with a treat of up to 1300 or so at weekends.
    I haven't lost any muscle - but I can see them better without their adipose overcoat.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Read "Then Just Say Fat" by Shannon Sorrells (£3.25 on Kindle)

I have been pondering on the number of reiterating threads starting "I have been following the MFP 1200 rules but I haven't lost any weight for months, what am I doing wrong". This usually provokes a plethora of "X-spurts" writing about eating the wrong sort of calories.

and I am thinking that maybe this should be telling us something?

I am currently on 600 to 700 Monday to Friday with a treat of up to 1300 or so at weekends.
    I haven't lost any muscle - but I can see them better without their adipose overcoat.

Why are you starving yourself? You don't need to do that to get to how you want to look.

1300 is NOT a treat day, it's still way too low for even a normal day for a man especially!
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

^^^This is how I understood it. Maybe we just need a new name for the process described in the second paragraph above. How about "Conservation Mode"? That more accurately describes what is going on anyway. Our metabolic rate slows down to attempt to make the most out of the food it is receiving.

One other thing: this will NOT happen if you go under 1200 calories once or twice. You would need to be at a significant deficit for awhile. You are not in starvation mode today because you only ate 1100 calories yesterday.
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options

Amen to this, so very well explained. Starvation mode is over used on this site.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

But losing weight almost ALWAYS results a loss of muscle with fat. How you eat and how you exercise will determine how much of that is muscle and how much is fat.

Eat well, with an appropriate calorie deficit for the amount of weight you have to lose, get plenty of protein and add some strength training, and you'll limit the amount of muscle loss.

Eat minimally and do a pile of cardio, and you won't lose as much fat, and say good-bye to a good chunk of your muscle.
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options

Ahh the other myth..................you can't eat below BMR

It's not a myth at all. Of course you can eat below your BMR. But knowing what you know about it, why would you ever want to?

Why would you ever want to consider eating below the amount of calories your body needs to survive in a coma? Why would you want to deprive your organs and muscles the fuel they require? Why would you want to inflict that sort of damage on your body just for the sake of weightloss? That's a horrible way to treat your body.

As Lorina says, and I'm going to re-iterate it here almost word for word: eat well with a smaller deficit, with plenty of protein and strength training and you will still lose weight without losing too much muscle. And you won't be compromising the health of your body by depriving it of what it needs to stay alive.