Lifting weights, might be a stupid question...

Options
So bear with me here. I've been doing a lot of reading, and I keep seeing that its very difficult if not impossible to gain lean muscle mass while eating at a calorie deficit. If that's the case, then whats the point of lifting heavy while trying to lose weight if its not going to do much.

Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy lifting although I'm very new at it. I was just wondering. :smile:

Also, if anyone has any books or websites they could recommend I would be very grateful!

Replies

• heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Because it makes your body feel all tight and smooth! :heart:

ETA I am doing "New Rules of Lifting for Women" and there is also a group here on MFP. Other people also recommended "starting strength" and "stronglifts 5x5" (also a group here).
  • sdm242
    sdm242 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I justed made a similar post, a few minutes before you. So if it's a stupid question, I'm right with you! (I titled my thread: Heavy lifting at a calorie deficit).

The one response I had so far says that it will help you preserve the muscle you have now.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    While you're not going to see a bunch of muscle mass, your strength can and will increase dramatically. Being strong is extremely underrated in my opinion. You can easily double or triple your existing strength within the first 6 months. Easily. Plus you will gain a bit of firmness and size (mainly due to water retention) in your muscles, giving the illusion of slightly bigger muscles.

Furthermore, lifting while in a caloric deficit will help ensure that you don't lose what muscle mass you have. People who lose weight via diet alone and/or with lots of cardio end up losing lots of lean body mass. Lean body mass is aesthetically pleasing AND helps burn more calories so this is an extremely important and often-overlooked aspect of weight loss.

Books? Starting Strength is a great one. There are New Rules Of Lifting books out there too which are often recommended.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    It's so that you'll preserve as much LBM as possible.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    You wont be able to put on mass (build them up), but you will make your muscles stronger and firm! So, when you lose the fat, you will look tight!
  • TonkaDanteFriend
    TonkaDanteFriend Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    There are probably some fit people more in the know who can give a better answer, but I weight train along with my calorie deficit in order to maintain lean body mass (toning may be a bonus). I'd be fine if I didn't gain an ounce of muscle because maintaining it (or at least most of it) means the majority of what I lose is fat.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    you will still get stronger and maintain what you have already...compared to straight cardio which helps to lose fat but you lose muscle with it
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm doing both. Proof is in the photos and my daily food diary. Judge for yourself.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    So bear with me here. I've been doing a lot of reading, and I keep seeing that its very difficult if not impossible to gain lean muscle mass while eating at a calorie deficit. If that's the case, then whats the point of lifting heavy while trying to lose weight if its not going to do much.

So you retain the existing muscle you already have. If you don't lift, a larger % of your loss will come from lean muscle. You don't lose just fat as you lose weight. This way at your goal weight you have a loer BF%.
  • fierceangel1982
    Options
    I recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women, it's a book, there is also a group on here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w , they have several threads that answer questions about lifting.
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    on a deficit...lifting and eating enough protein will allow you to maintain you're muscle mass instead of doing excessive amounts of cardio where you can lose the muscle mass
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    im guessing muscle maintenance! pure cardio def eats it up, happened to me :/ and theres no such thing as a stupid question :)
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    ... so you can maintain what muscle you have, and get stronger!

Being strong is so important, especially as you get older and start losing bone density!
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I think it might depend on how much you have to lose, what nutrition you're sticking with. I'm overweight, lifting 3x/week heavy duty cardio 3x/week, eating at a deficit, but 40% of my calories are protein a lot of the time, and my lifting numbers are steadily increasing, everything is getting bigger (because I'm a guy), and I'm losing bodyfat. Don't be afraid to lift, and don't be afraid to start off light, with form comes performance. You don't want to get up to benching heavy weights with improper form, because you WILL hurt yourself.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Gaining strength is a function of your central nervous system. So resistance training will help you get stronger whether eating at a deficit or not.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    ... so you can maintain what muscle you have, and get stronger!

Yup
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I lost my last stubborn 15 lbs lifting heavy weights and netting 1200-1400 calories a day. I use all of the plans in New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Hope that helps!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    all above is true, but there's also additional reasons that haven't been mentioned.

this is especially true for women. Lifting heavy weight helps maintain bone density. For women, osteoporosis is a serious issue as you age, yes, nutrition is a big part of it, but so is staying active, bone density is improved greatly when weight training. And women shouldn't wait until they are in their mid to late 30's to worry about that issue, best to start the process in your 20's. The same argument is true for connective tissue to a lesser degree. The body will only keep what it uses (with the exception of fat), if you don't use muscle or tendon, or ligaments or bone, it'll shrink them down to the smallest viable size to save on calorie consumption.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    For muscles the phrase is "use it or lose it".
    Apart from which the workout will help with toning and calorie burn. It's about health and fitness as well as weight loss.