Which Fit Bit do you prefer?

Options

Replies

• kittyhug1986
    kittyhug1986 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit ultra which does track sleep. Overall it is fairly accurate in the steps it calculates me taking. It also tracks stairs climbed which is really cool. Overall the sleep feature is kind of neat, especially if you have trouble sleeping at all. At night, your wear it on your wrist (it comes with a wrist band), and during the night it tracks movement throughout the night. Most people dont move during their REM cycles, so it assumes you are awake or awaking when you start moving around at night. With that being said you can track it and change some things around to see if you can improve sleep. It is a cool feature to have, but isnt necessary, so it makes since if you dont want to spend the extra money. Overall, I absolutely love my fitbit ultra!
    Dont know much on the others so can't comment on those.
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I have the ultra fit bit. I love it. I don't know about the other ones. The zip must have JUST came out because I sure would have bought that one since its half the price. The only difference I can see in those 2 is that the zip doesn't have the timer function which is used to track sleep as well as workouts. I do think the ultra is supposed to be water resistant too. I don't think dipping it in water counts for "resistant" tho. I think that more means like getting splashed or resisting sweat, that type of thing.
  • drecubed
    Options
    I have the ultra, but as far as I know the one is fairly similar. From my understanding the Zip does not have the altimeter, so it doesn't track flights climbed, in addition to it not monitoring sleep. The One has the added alarm (vibration, so it doesn't wake your sleeping partner) and is more water resistant.

I didn't think I would use the sleep function, but it has really helped me understand why some days I'm so much more tired than others. I don't use the altimeter much, but it's a nice feature to have, should I decide to go camping, or when I go to the arena to watch sports.

It has really helped push me to keep active. The little flower on it that grows when you are active thrills me to no end. In addition, I have my Fitbit synced up to Earnedit.com, and I get to use the points earned there for discounts on things like sports clothes and nutrition bars. The thing is, when it's late afternoon and I notice I'm only at 7000 steps for the day, it makes me want to get up and do some walking or jogging so that I hit that 10000 mark.
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    I'm planning to get one for my wife for anniversary (hope she isn't reading this!)

The day before I was going to order it, they announced the Fitbit One, which basically replaces the Ultra. So now I wait.

I say wait and get the Fitibit One, as it's slimmer, syncs with BT 4.0, splash resistant, etc. Nothing worse than buying a gadget to find out there's a new, improved version out (especially at same price).

I say stay away from the Fitbit Zip as the batteries are NOT replaceable, so it's "disposable."

TL;DR
    If you can wait, get Fitbit One in October.
    Impatient? Get Fitbit Ultra
    Avoid the Fitbit Zip

^^^^
    I agree with you 100%. Why get the ultra if the one is the latest version. It is supposed to be made better and more durable as well. The only reason I am not getting one now is because I already have the ultra and it is still working fine. Someday I hope they come out with a water proof one or either a water proof case so I can be on the boat or swim without worrying about it.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I just received my Ultra. It seems to work great. I don't how you would compare them except the Zip is a lot cheaper. Also I am not sure yet that the sleep tracking is worth the additional $40 or so. One thing that I really like about the Zip is that it is much more water proof than the Ultra.
  • lady45
    Options
    The ultra, I have been using one for a few years!

The ultra charges on your PC, the newer one uses a watch battery. Don't think I would care for that.
  • CherylGardner
    CherylGardner Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I say stay away from the Fitbit Zip as the batteries are NOT replaceable, so it's "disposable."

I think this is inaccurate. The Zip doesn't have a **rechargable** battery but it IS a replacable battery... one of those circular watch type batteries.
  • JennWeighZen
    JennWeighZen Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have the Ultra and I love it. I got it in June and at first I wore it to track my sleep, but then found that I wasn't really applying that data in any fashion, and I seem to be a wild sleeper, so it would often come out of the wrist holder overnight or the whole wrist thing would come off altogether (again, just because I'm a wild sleeper, not for any lack of design on the product.)

I do like the idea of the One being water resistant. I don't think the Zip tracks stair flights, either, so that isn't cool in my opinion. I like to know how high I climbed! :bigsmile:

So currently I just wear the Ultra during the day and then it occupies my night stand while I sleep and I just log the time manually into fitbit to account for the sleep.... so I'm falsely "100% efficient" on my sleep. Oh well. Maybe if I had some Ambien and some wine before bed each night that would be the case. :drinker:

Anyway, if anyone is looking for new FitBit friends -- look me up! Jennilyn@utexas.edu :heart:
  • susan2me57
    susan2me57 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the Ultra. My understanding is that the Ultra is going to be discontinued.
    Go with the Fit One. Rechargeable, tracks stairs (altimeter), and will sync by Bluetooth.
    The Zip uses a battery and does not track stairs.
  • kasalot
    Options
    I have the Ultra & love it except wanted a couple things that it didn't have - auto sync to phone [vs syncing only thru base station on computer] & durability [can break easily; not water resistant-if you sweat too much, connectors get corroded/stop working so you have to use the belt clip].

One isn't out yet (believe it comes out end of October), but they added in these features & the design of it seems to be better than that of the Ultra. The sync/charge cable is also considerably smaller. If you're debating between the Ultra & One, I'd probably go with the One since they're the same price & it has more features.

Zip just came out so can't comment on it, but it does have the auto syncing to phone. It also looks bigger than the Ultra/One which means it'll probably show more thru your clothing if you wear it all day, but obviously don't know.

Re: sleep tracking - it helps me to know & make adjustments as needed. Sleeping enough is important re: health/weight loss, but guess it's ultimately a personal preference if you want to spend an additional $50 for it.
  • slwunder
    Options
    The ONE isn't shipping until late October and it's the same price as the Ultra. I pre-ordered so, I know that for a fact. If you're not in a rush, I'd go ahead and pre-order from Fitbit's website since they offer free shipping.

I'm upgrading from the original fitbit.
    I have the Ultra & love it except wanted a couple things that it didn't have - auto sync to phone [vs syncing only thru base station on computer

Unfortunately, it will only sync via bluetooth with the iPhone 4S or 5. So if you have the 4 or earlier, you SOL!
  • erinnstreeter
    erinnstreeter Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    There's a Fitbit forum on MPF, by the way.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users
  • ArizonaNonna
    Options
    I would like to know the same thing!!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit ultra, but I would recommend waiting till next month to get the newer version, because they are less moisture sensitive. I have gone through two fit bit's one from washing it (not recommended) and the other didn't last long on a sweaty hike up a mountain. They relplaced the first one for free, I hope they will do the second one also.
    Why I vote for the more expensive one is because it takes hills into account. I like to climb mountains, and it knows how much climbing I do and adds those calories in. A step counter would not have recorded half my workout yesterday.
  • emmie0622
    emmie0622 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have the Ultra for about 1 month. I absolutely love it. I like the sleep feature on it - it gives your sleep efficiency percentage for the night. I am planning on upgrading to the One when my Iphone is eligible for an upgrade in a couple of months, I have Iphone 4 and it does not sync with that, it syncs with 4S or 5 or Android. I guess you need to decide if you would like the sleep function and also take size into consideration. The Zip looks a little bigger to me. Also Ultra is not waterproof, One is although I know people that washed the Ultra and Fitbit customer service did replace it for them! I want the sync function with the Iphone, I think that will help me, there are nights I do not feel like turning my computer on to sync for the entire day. I feel it pushes me to move more; actually I thought I was moving, but not as much as I should. When I am ready I will check the Zip and One and decide which one, but right now I would lean to the One and sticking to it as it is similar to the Ultra. Do not regret getting it - I did put if off for a long time, did not want to pay for it!
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I have the ultra and won't be upgrading. never wanted the zip. The one looks like it will only have a few more bells and whistles and that's just a couple more bells and whistles to then have problems. The ultra is also water resistant. A LOT of people are thinking the " one" is water proof...NOOOO, it's not. You gotta be careful with any of them. The only thing extra I see with the one is being able to sync with a bluetooth (not needed for me) ..and the phone (again not needed for me) and an alarm (again not needed)..plus "I" think the "ONE" looks more fragile. Just my opinions.
  • eknobbe
    eknobbe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Also Interested in this! I am buying a Fitbit once I complete the 30 Day Shred! Level 2 starts tonight!
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I have the Ultra (5 months) and it can be hit or miss. Some-days it works fine, others (like the last month or so) it has not been logging correctly - counting double even when information is only logged on 1 site. I do like it for the "mindless background tracker" part, but if it doesn't start acting correctly, I won't be upgrading it when it dies. Too much money. Oh, bwt - I don't use the sleep feature and lately have been deleting the FitBit entries here on MFP.

My Heart Rate monitor, MFP and Endomondo seem to work better (which sucks as it means multiple tracking/info devices instead of just one).

The difference bwt the Ultra and One - no Bluetooth and no alarm on the Ultra. One looks like the "clip" is built in instead of detachable. Still only 2 color choices.
    Zip, no "sleep" tracker and instead of rechargeable battery, it uses a button cell and more colors.
    Both the One and Zip are supposed to be more sweat proof than the older versions, which doesn't mean waterproof.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Bookmarking this as I'm considering a fitbit for both my wife and me.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Awesome information everyone, thank you!

If the One is replacing the Ultra then I'll probably see about pre-ordering it. I didn't realize that One and Zip were both not actually available yet, seems odd for all of the advertisements you see for them on MFP.

I think the sleep tracking will end up being a bust for me because I could never wear a wrist band to bed. I sleep with my face on my arm/wrist so the band would probably end up waking me up. Anyone else had that problem?

Can you buy them in stores too or just online? I sent an email to their support team and they had mentioned Target as a place to get them but I've never seen them there.