How did you lose the weight.

Options
I have been reading alot of the success stories this past weekend. Can you please tell me what you did to lose the weight.
And how much and how long it took. Thank you

Replies

• akylios
    akylios Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    start with drinking mostly water. get rid of most of your calorie loaded drinks like juices and sodas. best advice I can give ya. ive lost 36 pounds in about 3 months doing that, moderate exercise (walking or jogging on a treadmill for 30-60 minutes 3-5 times a week), and keeping a food log.
  • kenny_johnson
    kenny_johnson Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've been actively trying to lose since the End of Feb 2012. I've lost 82 lbs so far.

I have not drastically changed my diet. I count calories. I will still eat hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza, etc. I just eat less of it or modify my other meals to make my calorie goals. Or, I will make it (or choose) a lower-calorie version. For example, if we make pizza at home, I'll use turkey pepperoni. When we make hamburgers at home or use ground beef, I use lean ground beef (93% lean). We buy lean hot dogs, etc.

I also added a lot of activity. I generally walk about 3 times a day during the week during my work breaks (2 15-min and 1 lunch) and I do a morning work-out video before work 5 times a week.

My lifestyle didn't make a 180 -- which I think is important, because it's been VERY easy to sustain this. I don't feel deprived or have crazy cravings. If I want to splurge and have mexican food with Enchiladas suizas and chips and salsa. I do. I just count the calories and watch what I eat at other meals. Simple.

But I'm also (still) a big guy (279 lbs) and have quite a few calories to spare. People trying to just lose 20 lbs may find it a lot harder to be as "liberal" as I am with my diet.
  • jessakittyis
    jessakittyis Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    So far I've only lost 14 lb in about a month and a half but what I've done is keep a very accurate calorie log and make sure that I was eating when I'm actually hungry and not just because I'm bored. I've also been doing about 30-40 minutes of walking at a pretty moderate pace as many days a week as I can (usually 4-6). I've tried to used healthier substitutions for my favorite foods too. So now instead of soda I'll have seltzer for the fizz and Ive replaced most rice with cauliflower rice (which is amazing actually and I don't miss rice at all).
  • ctgirlscout
    ctgirlscout Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I agree...drink mostly water. I used to like to get the McDonald's sweet tea--huge cup for $1--when I was about town doing errands, until I realized it had almost 300 calories! Also, log in EVERYTHING you eat, and most importantly, don't give up. You will have ups and downs, but if you give up, you will never get there!
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Wow each and everyone of you have done such a wonderful job in such a short time.
    congrats..............

I only drink water and coffee. I gave up soda along time ago.
    thanks for your reply
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I started exercising regularly. I try to get some activity every day, with a formal routine of 30-60 min 5-6 days per week. I vary the type of exercise, but in general it's probably about a 65/35 % mix of cardio/strength.

I've eaten a pretty healthy diet for decades, though I tend to eat more calories than a sedentary person of my age and sex needs so I didn't make many dietary changes.

I am female, 51 yo (though I was 49-50 when I lost weight) and lost approx. 27 lbs. I've maintained that loss for about 1.5 yrs.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I lost 42lbs total. It took me from October 2010 until May 2012.

I did it the SLOW way. Started changing my habits. Cut out soda, stopped ordering fries with sandwiches, no fried foods, etc. Then the weight just started coming off. I lost 20 pounds from October 2012 to May 2011. That summer I started not to watch and by January 2012 I had put 10 pounds back on. On January 1st I said, enough is enough. I dedicated myself to improving my diet. Which meant making better choices and cutting back on portion size and drinking water. I found MFP in February and by then I hate 10 pounds I wanted to get off. I started walking and using the elliptical and incorporating body weight exercises. Dabbled in 30DS and other videos. I did this 3-4 times a week (or when I needed some more calories) I ate between 1450-1600 cal/day. Well, by May I had lost the 10 and by Mid-June I lost another 10, going 12 pounds under goal. I'm working now to keep my weight between 145-150. Right now I'm not in a exercise program, but I plan on soon starting NRFLFW.

I totally advocate the "change in lifestyle" for the best transformation. It gets your brain and your body working together.
  • Selunca
    Selunca Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I've lost 10lbs in 2 months, by cutting out soda, logging absolutely everything, and making sure that I'm letting myself eat things I still enjoy, but with moderation. (I.E, that king sized chocolate bar, I used to eat the whole thing in one sitting. Now I eat 1/4th of it and set the rest aside)

and of course, I used to not work out at all, and now I work out for 30min-1hr a day.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I only ever had 20-25LBS to lose.

I did a few things that finally worked (FOR ME):

I upped my cardio (I was already lifting and doing cardio)
    I cut out white bread, white rice, white potatoes, beer and a few other fast carbs (and sugars)
    I upped my protein
    I upped my green leafy vegetables
    I upped my fiber
    I upped my water

That was 12 years ago.
  • RobertCu
    RobertCu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have not been starving myself. I just started watching my portion sizes and counting calories in my log in MFP. I also added in a nightly walk of 60 minutes, dedicated ME time at 10pm. At 10pm I can do whatever it is, walk, skate, run. I just have to stay outside for an hour.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I finally figured out that I don't have to starve myself or kill myself in the gym...just have to cut down a bit on the eating and log to be conscious/accountable and exercise for 30-60 minutes 5x a week. I still eat all the foods I love, I just tweaked things a bit and cut down on portions. And I try really hard to ignore my taste buds who are constantly screaming at me "that was soooo yummy, eat more of it to make us happy!" (=

I've been at this for nearly 3 years and have lost 89 pounds so far. Would like to lose at least 14 more then we'll see. I'm in no rush though, it'll probably take me at least another year to get to goal.
  • RobertCu
    RobertCu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I finally figured out that I don't have to starve myself or kill myself in the gym...just have to cut down a bit on the eating and log to be conscious/accountable and exercise for 30-60 minutes 5x a week. I still eat all the foods I love, I just tweaked things a bit and cut down on portions. And I try really hard to ignore my taste buds who are constantly screaming at me "that was soooo yummy, eat more of it to make us happy!" (=

I've been at this for nearly 3 years and have lost 89 pounds so far. Would like to lose at least 14 more then we'll see. I'm in no rush though, it'll probably take me at least another year to get to goal.

I really envy your progress. I'd like to be the one someday to post that onto this board. I am also in search of a 115 lb loss. You're right, you do not have to starve yourself. Just eat good calories, not empty calories. I try to do some activities nightly, but with 2 kids it's hard some nights. But when I do , I really kick up the pace. I love it outside, because I get to see the moon and stars at night.
  • msmissylowe
    Options
    I've lost 50 since January. Still have about 25 to go.
    I think the key is this is a lifestyle change and not a diet. Because of that slow and steady WILL win the race.
    I eat 1200-1500 calories per day (depends on the amount of exercise for the day). I drink a gallon of water a day and don't waste calories on drinks. (except the occasional mocha frappacino light :)
    I eat 3 meals a day, with smaller calorie snacks in between so that I never get to where I am starving.
    As far as exercise goes, I do Zumba, Run, Walk, and kettlebells. I exercise 5-6 days a week.
    You really really do have to change your mindset on eating and exercise and see it as a lifestyle change and the way you are going to live for the rest of your life.
    Good luck! You can do this! I know everybody says, "If I can do it, anybody can do it", but I really really do feel that way!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!