Feeling Discouraged

Options
Well I had such a good day yesturday, have been staying within my calories since Sunday, worked out Sun and Mon. Took Yesturday off (to stiff to move) but plan to get back at it this morning. I am doing Bob's Biggest Loser Boot Camp Dvd.

I weigh in on Fridays (which is a scary 2 days away) so I thought I would jump on the scale today, and I was very discouraged. I was up a pound. I couldn't believe it. But I am going to stick with it, and hope that I am just retaining water.

Replies

• happybrooke
    Options
    You may be trading fat for muscle too...which we all know weighs more. Just hang in there!!
  • ourgang
    ourgang Posts: 229
    Options
    I hear ya!!!! I weight this morning also just for a peek at what to expect on Friday and I was up too:cry:

I am sick of hearing muscle weights more than fat, I want to see the scale go DOWN!!!!! I too am doing a mixture of Jillian work outs, Bob Biggest loser, pilates, walking and running... and this is just maintaining my current weight. What will it take to see the scale move!!!

Keep up the work I am sure you hard work will pay off
  • tntrav44
    tntrav44 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when your body gets used to your workout, it plateaus. I have to switch up my workout about every 2 months. I do kickboxing classes twice a week all year, but then I also run, swim, walk, do yoga, dance dvds, step aerobics, etc. as a switch every couple of months just to keep it new and keep my body guessing.

Hope that helps!
  • safiresp04
    Options
    Worrying about 1 pound isn't going to get you anywhere. 1 pound could be from a number of things. Maybe you're retaining water. Maybe you need to go to the bathroom. Maybe you're weighing yourself at a different time of day. Maybe you had on clothes. Maybe your body just wants to hang on to the food you're giving it.

Always make sure you eat enough when you workout. Your body needs fuel to keep going to encourage it to lose the weight. If it doesn't think it's being fed enough, it's going to hold on to everything. Feed yourself the right foods - lean protein, low-fat or fat-free dairy, healthy oils (olive oil, flaxseed, etc), fruits, vegetables, & complex carbs (brown rice, sweet potatoes, whole wheat pasta) - and your body will release the extra pounds.

Also, don't worry about what the scale says today. If Friday is your official weigh-in day, then Friday is the only day that counts. Checking-in mid-week is OK, but it's not the be-all, end-all of your weight loss. Keep up what you're doing and see what the scale says on Friday.

p.s. as sick as people are of hearing that muscle "weighs more" than fat - within a given volume - it's more dense and so, while you may not be losing pounds on the scale, your body may be getting leaner & smaller all the time. Take your measurements and when you seem to be stagnant on the scale, check your measurements. You may be pleasantly surprised...
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Your body has not developed that much muscle this quickly. You will find that your weight fluctuates depending on the amount of sodium you have had, water you have drunk and exercise you have done. I always find when I do weight lifting, I gain weight as my muscles hold onto a lot of water. It is not that I developed 2 lbs of muscle in one workout. ( I would be like the Incredible Hulk if I did):laugh:

Give it a day or two, drink lots of water and keep the sodium low.
  • WShope
    WShope Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    havingitall is right. Sodium can make you retain a lot of water. I recommend that when you drink your water add just a little bit of lemon. It's a natural diuretic. It could flush out all that water you maybe retaining.
  • renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your comments. I would have to say sodium would most likely be a problem. I have changed my diary to track sodium. And it was oh so bad yesturday. Will try to work on it.
  • FitnessOver50
    Options
    Do not get discouraged.

Here is a big tip. Follow it to not become discouraged

Do not place too much importance on the scale. Instead, place much more importance on what you see in the mirror. People have been conditioned to live and die by the scale. As long as you are satisfied with the fit and toned figure in the mirror, who cares what the number on the scale is.

Also, as you exercise, you will lose fat and develop muscle. Muscle simply weighs more.

Both my wife and I stayed around the same weight when we went on our training programs. Neither of us were overweight. We were, however, out of shape. Not anymore.

You can see the difference in the mirror.

Worry about your fitness and strength levels, the weight will take care of itself.
  • breezy81
    breezy81 Posts: 186
    Options
    I do not weigh in more than once a week, if that often. My numbers dont go down very well but my inches drain off!!! I just did a boot camp and lost 7 lbs in 7 weeks, I was hoping for more but...I lost 17lbs of FAT, and that is a great number. I lost tons of inches and said screw the scale. I know how my clothes fit and I know they are litteraly falling off me right now :) Dont put importance on that scale, put in you and how you feel.