Breakfast!

Options
Well, for several years now, I have mostly done fruit smoothies for breakfast. I will use about 2 servings of fruit (any fruit, though usually blueberries). I started with soy milk years ago, then went to non-fat milk, on to different types of juice. I started using Greek Yogurt in them about a year ago, and a couple of months ago I started using kefir for my liquid. I take a multi-vitamin (1/3 serving) with this, as well as eating .5 serving of dark 70%+ chocolate. I also drink one or two cups of coffee with it as well. What are your ideal ideas for smoothies? What do you add (if anything) to make it a better power and health booster? Thanks!

Replies

• Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cheaton13
    cheaton13 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love this question! There are so many options for smoothies. I started doing research and playing around with them about 2 years ago. Some things are going to sound strange, but I promise work somehow! I got a lot of ideas from the book More Smoothies for Life. I have used cottage cheese(lowfat, which I can't eat plain) is a great way to add creaminess and protein. I normally use water for liquid or sparkling water because I don't like the extra calories from juice. I always put flax seed meal in any one I make. If you like the berries an easy add is 1/2 cup of spinach leaves and 1/2 cup carrots. I plan on trying avocado, which others have said is good. I have done a pumpkin smoothie, that had 1/2 c pumpkin purée, a banana, a scoop of vanilla protein powder, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon to taste, 1 tbls flax seed meal, and 1 c of almond milk. Other fruits I have tried are pineapple, peaches, bananas, and nectarines. Cucumbers were not such a good addition.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I did an avocado, ginger, hemp milk smoothie a couple weeks ago and it was great! I used a little too much ginger, though. I have used a huge variety of fruits. I have oranges and clementines frozen up right now, along with the blueberries. I used to do huckleberries a lot, but I am not in an area that has them wild now. I have used peaches, nectarines, kiwis, strawberries, bananas, and many more. I never disliked any of the ones I have made so far. I really like your pumpkin idea. That sounds really yummy. I wonder if it would be good with raw pumpkin rather than puree?
  • evolutionbyariana
    Options
    I like to add hemp hearts, chia seeds, oats, or soaked almonds for extra energy!
  • Topher1978
    Options
    I like to add hemp hearts, chia seeds, oats, or soaked almonds for extra energy!
    How expensive are hemp hearts?