Eating healthy on a budget?

Options
2»

Replies

• pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I wish you had a 99c Only Store in your area but I did not see any in Denver. These stores are amazing! Lots of fruits and veggies for a dollar and sometimes you can find some really good name brand items in the frozen section while supplies last. Definitely works out on a budget.

How about Fresh n Easy? They have a 50% off section for meats, bread, fruits, etc. that has the same day expiration. If it is meat, as long as you freeze it on that day, it is still good. I've gotten a loaf of bread for 50 cents, 8 ounces of salmon for $3.00, 2 lb bag of apples for a dollar, etc. when I look for their deals.

Make sure you precious baby has formula first. Good luck!
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    I didn't read all of the other posts, but have to mention southersavers.com - my sister spends $150 a month for her whole family on groceries including their specialty needs like goat milk using "extreme couponing" tactics. Other than that, I highly recommend dried beans (like a dollar for a pound and cook up a huge pot-full), brown rice (just bought organic yesterday for .86/lb and again, cooks up to make a ton), in season produce (bought a 10 pound bag of potatoes for $2 a couple weeks ago and 3 pound bag of onions for $1.50, bunch of bananas for $1.11 - .39/lb.. you get the idea). And forget the packets of oatmeal, buy the canister. It'll come out cheaper by the ounce AND is healthier.
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Hello! I just came across this article and I thought it might help :)

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/eatthis/39474/americas-cheapest-health-foods/
  • bosanka
    bosanka Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I agree 99 cents only store is great ! i have one in my area and i always check them otu first before any thing else- because they get always different products and have lots' of organic produce and other things. Amazing ! .. Other week got a whole basket full for 42 $.. and there was at least 90$ worht of food.. So if you have one anywhere in your area- defenetely check it out- this is not a regular " dollar " store- i like them cause they seem neat and clean.. and not as dusty as other dollar stores :)