elliptical training calories

Options
Today I burned 260 calories in 20 minutes on my elliptical machine. I was thinking that is a lot. I am happy don't get me wrong, but is that accurate? I can do this twice a day but not 40 minutes altogether because I have a newborn and a 2 y/o. I have to exercise the first time when they are both sleeping in the afternoon and the second time when my husband is home to watch them since they are awake at that time. So, would this be alright?

My fitnesspal has me on a little over 1200 calories a day plus my exercise, which I only committed to 10 minutes I think because you never know around here what I can do.

So, will I really lose weight this way?

Replies

• aisha786
    aisha786 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Today I burned 260 calories in 20 minutes on my elliptical machine. I was thinking that is a lot. I am happy don't get me wrong, but is that accurate? I can do this twice a day but not 40 minutes altogether because I have a newborn and a 2 y/o. I have to exercise the first time when they are both sleeping in the afternoon and the second time when my husband is home to watch them since they are awake at that time. So, would this be alright?

My fitnesspal has me on a little over 1200 calories a day plus my exercise, which I only committed to 10 minutes I think because you never know around here what I can do.

So, will I really lose weight this way?
  • prettyinpink
    prettyinpink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Anytime you are doing cardio and eating properly, it will help towards weight loss. The cardio helps burn fat calories to help lose weight. On top of cardio, I recommend doing some strength training. It doesn' have to be much!! This will help build muscle and burn even more calories.

I have a 14 month old so I know that there is not a lot of time. When she is awake, I get on the floor and start doing situps and other floor activities. Your babies will join in on the fun, maybe even add a little bit of extra weight (resistance) to your workout. I have so much fun with it and so does my daughter.

Just an idea! :oP
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Yes you will and yes that is correct on the elliptical. That's why we love our ellipticals, right mfps?
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Yep, the elliptical is a powerhouse for burning calories. Sounds about right, I usually burn about 580 calories in 50 minutes.
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Yep! That's right- It does depend on your intensity. For the last three days I've done 600 calories in 53 minutes- I've kicked some elliptical butt though!!
    If your machine has a Calories per minute, you cant glance at that throughout the workout to see what your rate is.