Diet and oral care

Options
I've always had bad teeth (not like terrible and grimey, but not the best, like cavities and such), thanks to my Dad's side of the family. And I know part of it is due to my addiction to sugar! I hate it. I hate that I'm so dependent on it. I try to break away but I can't. I know you're suppose to eat more protein or whatever to combat those cravings, but aside from that what else can I do (eat) to get my teeth strong again? I rarely (almost never) drink sodas anymore, I brush twice a day and rinse twice a day, floss at least 3 times a week but still I feel like my teeth are rotting away (gross, I know).

Anyone else out there have this problem? I know it may not seem weight loss/diet/fitness related, but it does impact my health. Do you have any tips on breaking my sugar addiction?

I know someone will say go to the dentist regularly, and I use to but now I've moved and finding the perfect one is EXTREMELY important to me so it's taken a while. Also, I can't really afford to go right now... other bills have taken precedence!

Replies

• Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say it anyways: go to the dentist!

If you go now, you will have to pay a lot less than when you HAVE TO go because your teeth are falling out.
    Better to prevent tooth decay than having to have everything ripped out and replaced.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    exactly what previous poster said. Go to the dentist! I dont have any teeth problems to speak of. But my huband did, he is all implants now, my duaghter is in her 3rd year of braces. Never lost a tooth on her own, we were pulling teeth since she was 3. My son is well on his way to having braces in the next few years.. So family hereditary may be a cause but go and see, esp if you are losing teeth! If were you are having health issues you'd make it a priority to go. Make a small savings to at least go get a consulatation. Your teeth do show part of your health and what is going on as well..... Somtimes refocusing on you as a priority so all the other things can get done is important too :flowerforyou: