Dropping weight for wedding (as a bridesmaid)

Options
This weekend I was asked to be a bridesmaid in my best friend's wedding. I am thrilled. Now it's time to buckle down and start losing the weight. After being surrounded by the rest of the bridesmaids who are all fairly small it gave me motivation to really start focusing on my weight loss. No more excuses. I want to look amazing in those pictures, not just for me, but for my beautiful bride-to-be best friend. I'm shooting for 50 lbs gone by August 2013. I think 5 lbs a month is not an unachievable goal. If anyone else is doing this as well, feel free to add me. I'm not looking forward to going dress shopping at the size I am now, but I am looking forward to going and getting it taken in a few dress sizes later.

Replies

• ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    One of my best friends is getting married next July and I refused to be the fat friend in the pictures. I had 70 pounds to lose when I started in February but I've 40 of those gone already and aim to get at least another 30-35 down by the wedding. I think 5lbs a month is a very attainable goal. Add me if you like!
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    Same thing got me to really start focusing on getting in shape - and I've kept it up! Now, my Grandmother's vowel renewal is coming up and I'm focusing on that! Great motivator! Good luck! :)
  • Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have to be a bridesmaid in January and a Maid of Honor next October. I understand the motivation! Add if you'd like :smile:
  • ullgetthere
    Options
    Hey everyone!!! I don't have a wedding to attend but I am taking a trip to Cuba in september 2013 and I would like to have dropped 50lbs by then (I have 100 to drop in total). So I am totally in with ya all!! Don<t hesitate to add me!! I love and support all of my gang!
  • katieg2289
    Options
    I'm a bridesmaid in May, and would idealy have 50lbs dropped by then. Not sure that's realistic, but any loss would be great, as the other two maids are super skinny!
  • megsprettyinpink
    Options
    :smile: Being asked to be a bridesmaid re-motivated me in January to get back to dieting/execising. My bff bride was super supportive and told me she'd want me in her wedding no matter what size I was (in my head I swore I wouldn't ruin her pictures!). When we tried on bridesmaids dresses I was a size 20 dress at David's Bridal and I wore a size 16 the day of the wedding! I started January 3rd and wedding was May 27th and I was able to drop 45 lbs. Set small attainable goals. I decided that Nutrisystem was the best way for me to diet and I started exercising 4-5 days per week. You can do it!
  • nzenczak
    nzenczak Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I too am using an upcoming wedding for a friend to motivate me to lose weight. She is getting married June 15, 2013. I think I currently am the fattest girl in the bridal party, so I'd like to avoid that if I could. I have alot of weight to lose and I don't think I can reach my ultimate goal by then, but if I could be under 200 lbs (which is about a 60 pound loss) that would be awesome.

Please feel free to add me. I love getting and giving support. It really, really helps.
  • ladyojessikah
    Options
    I am the "fat friend" in a wedding next June. I am the maid of honour actually. All of the other girls are toothpicks next to me lol. I have lost 35lbs already but I would like to drop another 30 by June. We did a bit of dress shopping already and I felt like a cow. And the "plus size" styles kind of suck. I would love friends and support who are going through the same. Feel free to add me :)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    It's funny there are so many of us! I'm a bridesmaid in May 2013. When we got our dresses at Davids Bridal, I got a snug size 8. The girl helping us made me promise I wouldn't gain weight! She said that because of the material of the dress it's impossible to "let out" but it can be "taken in" if I lose weight. That's really when I started losing weight. 17lbs down and it's already too loose! I plan on losing another 15lbs or so, so hopefully I will have to exchange it for a 6 or 4 by then!
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    My sister decided to slim down for my wedding last month. Sadly she did so secretely after I'd bought her dress. She went from a size 20 to a size 14! We very nearly had to buy her a new dress! Luckily we found a dress maker who saved the day. But was a really wierd experiance because she also did my dress which was heavily beaded and my sisters dress still took more time and cost more money!

Anyway, good luck with it all! My sister looked stunning after dropping all that weight and it was so nice to share the picture with her rather than have the picture dominated by her. It's a really nice gift to both yourself and the bride! I wish you all the best and if you need support just drop me a friend request ^_^
  • 5illy
    5illy Posts: 1
    Options
    Ladyojessikah & all you ladies, I know how u feel.. Made-of-honour to be, also the fattest un-fittest, single chick of the bridal party. Really don't want the pitty party on my best girls special day!

We can do it :)
    Add it you want an extra buddy!
  • sarahg2290
    sarahg2290 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Same story here! My best friend just got engaged and the wedding is set for September 2013. That gives me just under a year to reach my goal. I'd like to lose about 30 lbs and tone up so I can look good in the dress! She is super supportive and is even willing to join my gym (although she is basically in perfect shape already!) Feel free to add me too!
  • yelldan22
    yelldan22 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bridesmaids unite!!! My bride-to-be is very supportive of me losing this weight for her wedding, but she would have me in it either way. This is more so for me. Plus it gets me going on getting to my goal weight.

5illy-Thankfully I got married this July otherwise I would have been the fattest, single bridesmaid as well. It's getting rather cold here so I'm going to have to make the decision soon on joining a gym or not. Been walking the dog on long walks multi times a week recently. I'm starting to feel lighter even though the scale hasn't really moved.
  • sarahg2290
    sarahg2290 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My bff bride would have me in it no matter what my size too...and I actually am not the biggest bridesmaid she has. But I think it could give me a very tangible goal that could really jumpstart my motivation! Let's do this!
  • aussiecaseylee
    Options
    Bridesmaid to be here! One of my best friends is getting married in April 2014. I know it's pretty far off but we will be starting to look at dresses already!! Time to get fit :happy: Feel free to add me :smile:
  • MeABride2B
    Options
    Hi Ladies....

I'm a March 9, 2013 BRIDE :) YAY!
    And a Sept. 7, 2013 BRIDESMAID :)

I'm incredibly motivated and just keep chugging along.
    More than the weight I want to "look good" and "feel good". So we will see how it goes!

Sending you all luck on this journey and together let's keep each other motivated!