Losing motivation as confidence grows

Options
I'm just wondering if I'm alone here. I've lost almost 60 pounds..I still have around 40 to go but I feel so much happier in myself. For the first time I'm not the fat friend, I can buy nice clothes and like what I see in the mirror.
This increase in confidence though, is making it so difficult to shift the extra 40 pounds. There's no sense of urgency within me anymore because I'm not unhappy. Even though I know I'll be happier another 40 pounds down

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you overcome it? I'm getting worried ill put weight back on

Replies

• mhanners127
    mhanners127 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i'm interested in this too - i have lost about 50 lbs with 30 to go and can't get motivated like i used to. i am on/off every few days and can't seem to keep it together. i've gained about 10 lbs back from what my lowest was and need help getting back on track but i have no idea what to do!
  • apetranovich
    apetranovich Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You are not alone here. I have lost 67lbs, and about 12% body fat. I'm so confident and happy with myself. But I would really like to lose about another 40lbs. The urgency has also went down with me as well.

I guess I am overcoming it by giving myself new fitness challenges. Next year I'm in a friend's wedding which is also motivational. I'm also worried about going back the other way sometimes. I definitely don't want to go back to where I was!. Good luck:)
  • JediSwan
    JediSwan Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I am having that same problem right now. I am 56 total down (36 since this site) and have 44 to go and I'm actually feeling more comfortable with myself than I can remember and I'm finding I'm not as stressed about working our and some days motivation is lost. LOL Could you imagine feeling this way when you began your journey? I sure didn't. BUT I know that I will be ecstatic when I lose the last 44 AND I will look smokin' hot on our cruise October 2013.

So I feel what you are all feeling. I have a plan though and I'm going to do it no matter what happens to my motivation. We can do this ladies. :) Confidence is awesome. I'm so glad to hear you have that. The fear of putting any of my weight back on is partially what is keeping me going. I want to like me, like how I look in the mirror, buy cute clothes, not be the fat friend, etc. :) WE CAN DO THIS!!!!
  • kizzaii
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not alone!! It's so frustrating. When I started, I wouldn't even think about chocolate because I had the desperation to lose weight there. Now I can't keep chocolate out my mouth!!
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    went through this.....when i hit the 200 mark form 260......after a month i decided ive come this far and im not getting any younger if i wanna get in best shape of my life gotta do it now or ill never do it....now im at 185 and still trying to lose last 5-10 and get my abs
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    bump..curious
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Options
    YES! I HAD 2.5-7.5 pounds to go, now I have 12 lol. I feel generally happy with myself so it's not as important for me to be strict.

BUT I also feel I needed a little break so I took one for a few weeks. I am back to it so far this weekend though :)
  • btanton27
    btanton27 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bethgames
    bethgames Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    This is the main reason I was/am a yo-yo dieter. I get really good at losing it...to a point. And then I am good, I feel fine, and I start to put a bit on at a time and before you know it...there I am all fat again. Wish I had better advice, but still struggling myself. Good luck!
  • chicky26
    chicky26 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    lol, we are not alone!! that is for sure . . . . . I have lost 92lb so far and have at least another 8lb. This last 14lb has been the hardest, as you have said the urgency has GONE, DESTERTED ME, LEFT THE BUILDING!

Im trying super hard now to stick to the calories and exercise plenty, its really hard but I just keep telling myself 'your not where you want to be'

I know its hard and for the first time ever IM NOT FAT and its amazing but im sure with persaverence I will get to my goal. Just keep logging and trying and hopefully we will get there. :happy:
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Could have written this post myself. I'm just taking things slow. If I end up losing 1lb a month then so be it. Yes I still have some to lose but I feel the best I've felt EVER! I haven't weiged what I do now since I was about 13 lol. I say just take things at your own pace. I'm not gaining, I'll lose bit by bit. Any loss is a bonus right now so I'm happy :) I say chill. This is meant to be a new way of life rather than a quick fix diet, so I'm treating it like that x
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I've also experienced this. I still workout 5x's a week, i eat anythng i want but i haven't gained any weight back in three months. I am loosing weight here and there but nothing like before. I do want to shed the last pounds but omg i have no motivation. The good news is that i am keeping it off and i keep telling myself do you want to go out and run everyday for nothing. Sooner or later i will get back on the right track.
  • mizcat
    mizcat Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am the same way!! 50 lbs gone... Still have at least 20 to go. But I feel better so I'm having a harder time pushing myself!
    Good luck to you!! Well, to all of us that feel this way!!
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Yep - in the same boat. I lost 33 pounds in about 8 months, then gained back 2-4 in the last year or so. Really want to get down another 5-10 pounds (well, really just want to decrease body fat, the pounds are less important). It's been so hard to get myself to really stick to my calories and eat really well. I'm slowly getting back to a focused point.

I started strength training and lifting heavy, so that has helped me get back on track - when I get up at 7 to work out, I don't want to have a poor eating choices day!

I'd suggest trying a new workout routine or set up a calendar where you get gold stars for keeping yourself on track/meeting your personal goals (logging, eating 5 servings of veggies in a day, etc) and getting a reward (mani/pedi, new top, new outfit, adventure trip, etc) which might get you into the swing of things.
  • MiniCooperDeb
    MiniCooperDeb Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Exactly how I feel! I thought it was just me. I hope some good tips come out of your post.!
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 50lbs and I am finding that I am having the same problem! I have dropped 10 sizes from a 28 to an 18 and I am liking what I am seeing in the mirror but it is hard to keep it going!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    The more pounds you lose, the harder it gets to lose more. The bod just wants to hang on to the old fat. It is like they are old friends and they don't want to each other up. Now is the time to shake things up. Change your eating ruts. Change your exercise ruts. Go and do more. But never go back to the old ways.the true definition of insanity is to do the same things and expect different results.
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing is to be happy. If you're happy with yourself right now, give the weight loss a break and switch to maintenance. That way, you won't undo all the good work you've done, but then you'd get to relax a bit.

But keep on logging so you won't go overboard. Then when your motivation returns, then do a calorie deficit again. But because you have been logging the whole time, it won't be as huge of a lifestyle change as when you started.

You may keep losing, if just more slowly, at maintenance. It seems like if lots of people do on here.
  • Sammyjo4486
    Options
    Yep - in the same boat. I lost 33 pounds in about 8 months, then gained back 2-4 in the last year or so. Really want to get down another 5-10 pounds (well, really just want to decrease body fat, the pounds are less important). It's been so hard to get myself to really stick to my calories and eat really well. I'm slowly getting back to a focused point.

I started strength training and lifting heavy, so that has helped me get back on track - when I get up at 7 to work out, I don't want to have a poor eating choices day!

I'd suggest trying a new workout routine or set up a calendar where you get gold stars for keeping yourself on track/meeting your personal goals (logging, eating 5 servings of veggies in a day, etc) and getting a reward (mani/pedi, new top, new outfit, adventure trip, etc) which might get you into the swing of things.

This calender and sticker idea sounds like a great way to keep motivated! Thanks!
  • abigailmariecs
    abigailmariecs Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have lost about half (19 of the 40-50ish I want to lose). I really struggled with going any further since the 20 lbs put me at pre-pregnancy weight and more importantly the weight I have been for more than 12 yrs. I finally found something that worked. I decided to no longer be scale obsessed and instead be fitness obsessed. Cardio has always been my weakness. I can lift and walk all day and get (what feels like) little out of it. So I signed up for a 5k for a deadline and a progress measurement. Once I have accomplished the cardio fitness that I am looking for I plan to switch to focus on lifting but I wanted to create a new challange and tackle what I consider the biggest obstacle for me personally first since I have a habbit of going for the lifting and figuring I will add the cardio at a later date (which never seems to happen).

I guess what I am trying to say is focus on something else you want to improve and the motivation to accomplish something comes back.