Healthy snack suggestions?

Options
13»

Replies

• Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots. 3 oz bags (or make your own 3 oz bags). They are sweet and crunchy, and they help.
    Plain greek yogurt mixed with a diced plum, peach, or nectarine. Outtasite.
    Packet of oatmeal (plain), with a box of raisins and a sprinkling of pumpkin pie spice (or even just cinnamon).
    8 oz kefir (seems to fill me up). Pick a nice fruity flavor - I like the blueberry-pom-acai.

The hard way, I've learned not to have the following, even though they are ostensibly healthy:
    Dates, figs, other dried fruit - they are good for you, but it's easy to binge on them if you have a sweet tooth. And the calories can really pile up.
    dense "healthy" snacks, like date-sweetened bars, chocolate-date-coconut-nut clusters, etc: These are all ostensibly good for you, but they're really little calorie bombs, just waiting to explode your food plan. Treat with CAUTION!
  • Marie31450
    Marie31450 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have several favorites...
    A sliced apple with peanut butter
    Mini rice cakes with peanut butter
    Sliced strawberries,blueberries with Greek yogurt
    Laughing cow wedge with wasa rye crisp
    Popcorn
    Frozen banana blended into ice cream consistency
    A fiber one brownie or protein bar
  • fancyacuppa
    fancyacuppa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Mmmm rice cakes - either sweet with cottage cheese & fruit, or savory with edam tomato & cucumber
  • bellalavita11
    Options
    Go to bodybuilding.com and check out the diets from some of the amateurs of the week. From that site I've learned alot about portion sizes, how often to eat and what to eat, as well as workouts. I eat about every 3 hrs and my favorite top three snacks are: 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese with cherry tomatoes, 3 oz of fage yogurt with flax seed, berries, & peanut butter, or 1/2 protein shake with almond milk and 1/2 banana.
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • nikkinoonarr
    Options
    Popcorn

Not sure if serious...

Popcorn:
    100grams : 382kcalories

what kind of popcorn is 382 cals??

"Snacks - Popcorn, air-popped, white popcorn"
    from the MFP database!

Yeahhh, sounds like someone made a mistake when adding that one. :S If you Google, most websites are coming back with around 35 calories per cup. That's a pretty big discrepancy.

This is true but you have to be careful of how many cups of popped popcorn are in the bag because it's not going to be the same as the number of unpopped servings. That's where a lot of people mess up when entering them into the database. I wish MFP would monitor that stuff a bit more because unless you have the nutrition information directly in front of you, you have no idea if the entries in their database are correct.

I love popcorn, The value of 382 cals is correct for a 100g bag of Popz microwave butter popcorn after it is popped. To be fair you would have to be really hungry or greedy to eat a whole popped bag of it yourself. I share it with my 3 children. 25g fills a standard cereal bowl piled high and is way plenty for 1 person and is 95 cal!

Brilliant snack.
  • 2boypeas
    Options
    Popcorn

Not sure if serious...

Popcorn:

what kind of popcorn is 382 cals??

"Snacks - Popcorn, air-popped, white popcorn"
    from the MFP database!

Yeahhh, sounds like someone made a mistake when adding that one. :S If you Google, most websites are coming back with around 35 calories per cup. That's a pretty big discrepancy.

This is true but you have to be careful of how many cups of popped popcorn are in the bag because it's not going to be the same as the number of unpopped servings. That's where a lot of people mess up when entering them into the database. I wish MFP would monitor that stuff a bit more because unless you have the nutrition information directly in front of you, you have no idea if the entries in their database are correct.

ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size about 6 cups popped (40g unpopped)
    Servings Per Container about 21
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 120Calories from Fat 10
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 1.5g 2%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 0mg 0%
    Total Carbohydrate 29g 10%
    Dietary Fiber 6g 24%
    Protein 4g
  • jenadams1993
    Options
    Bump?
  • kenny_johnson
    kenny_johnson Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I often keep cuties (small mandarin oranges) at my desk.
    I regularly buy pistachios
    I absolutely love beef jerky

These are my main snacks... but at home I'll have other fruits (berries, grapes, bananas, etc).

I also have less healthy snacks on occasion too. :)
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Popcorn

Not sure if serious...

Popcorn:

Totally serious. I get those 100 cal bags and they are perfect for a snack.
  • sugar free popcicles, sugar free apple sauce or jello pudding

I also enjoy watermelon and grapes.. It is a easy way to get fluits in while eating and is low in calories.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    What I usually have for snacks:

Mixed fresh veggies with light ranch
    Pretzels (or crackers) and a cheese stick
    Pretzels with mustard
    Pretzels (or crackers) with peanut butter
    Cup of sugar free pudding
    100 calorie pack of cookies
    Glass of soy milk
    Glass of soy milk with a half scoop of protein powder