Question for people who have lost weight who were overweight

Options
Do you think that having been overweight makes you less likely to judge an overweight person? Instead of the resorting to the usual negative comments most overweight people have been exposed to, would you be more likely to consider the person’s reasons for being overweight as opposed to immediately assuming they’re lazy or name calling?

I wonder if, while detrimental to one’s health, being overweight can be beneficial in the sense that it exposes people to that negative judgment so that, in turn that same person refrains from judging others based because of their own experiences. Maybe experience breeds empathy.

Just curious.

Replies

• EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. IDK. I think it goes both ways for me. If I see someone who is overweight but who is also clearly trying hard to change that, I definitely don't judge them! When I see overweight people who constantly complain about it, and do nothing to change it, it really gets on my nerves and I'm probably calling them "fatty" in my mind. lol
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    nah, if anything I'm more judgemental because I did it...(JK)
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I don’t think it makes much of a difference. There will be those will empathize more because they’ve been through it and there will be those who will be more judgmental because they’ve changed so everybody can.
  • possibri
    possibri Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I try my best not to judge people one way or another... can't say that being overweight all of my life (so far) really made me feel that way, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was partly why I think it's so important not to judge others based solely on looks.
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    When I see overweight people who constantly complain about it, and do nothing to change it, it really gets on my nerves and I'm probably calling them "fatty" in my mind. lol

This. But I'd use stronger, more colorful language.
  • dadzpeach
    dadzpeach Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. IDK. I think it goes both ways for me. If I see someone who is overweight but who is also clearly trying hard to change that, I definitely don't judge them! When I see overweight people who constantly complain about it, and do nothing to change it, it really gets on my nerves and I'm probably calling them "fatty" in my mind. lol

^^^THIS!

I don't judge people either way, but it does bother me if they complain and then not try to change
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options

agreed
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    It has caused me to have more empathy because I know how hard it is to lose weight.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options

agreed

whoops nevermind you said jk....im not judgemental but i hate hearing the excuses i think because i was the one who used all of them before and now ive done it so it can be done
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Of course you judge them. What you say to them or how you act will depend on the person and yourself.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    When you see an overweight person, why would you even wonder how they got that way? It's none of your business. And, no, it's not beneficial to be overweight so people like you can come to a negative judgement on how they got that way. It's bad enough being treated like crap when you are overweight.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    the first time i lost all the weight i was extremely judgmental towards fat people. I was in my 20's and lost it pretty easy. THEN i gained it all back due to a health issue and all the lovely meds i took getting that under control. Honestly, even then, i thought it was punishment from God for being to mean to fat people.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Unless there is a medical reason for them to be obese, which there rarely is, then there is no reason why I should treat them with more courtesy or respect than I do any ordinary person.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    As a person who has gone from anorexic/bulimia to obese and back to a healthy weight...I don't judge anyone by their size. In fact, I believe that I am MORE compassionate towards them. Last week I saw a very obese woman trying to get out of her car and I stopped and asked her if she needed help. She was embarrassed but happy I was willing to help her. When I was super skinny, younger and dumber I probably wouldn't have done that, thinking that she needs the exercise and could work on getting out herself.If anything, I feel sorry for them and wish they would have their 'ahah' moment like I did, because until then, they wont do anything a bout it. Shame on me. Anyway, people are obese (and too thin) for many reasons. It could be sexual abuse, emotional abuse, depression, medical conditions, caused by medications, who knows? But, I am a human being and so are 'they'. I will help anyone, regardless of where they are in their journey (on their way or not) to better health and being slimmer.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    If I see an overweight person at the grocery store stocking up on frozen pizza, soda, and chips I probably will quietly judge them in my own mind. That's just reality. I will, naturally, feel just as judged when I am shopping for a birthday party and my cart is stocked with ice cream, cake mixes, frosting, and all that party food stuffs. If we aren't at the grocery store I do my best not to judge, and when at the gym I actually try smiling a LOT at the people who are overweight and clearly trying their best to work on it. I'm turning into one of those people that want to hug everyone who tries their best, which is totally contrary to my personality. So ya, Id judge in a store with someone having a grocery cart full of crap.
  • smkey
    smkey Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have a completely different view on overweight people, especially when I see them at the gym. Before I'd lost my weight, I'd think more negatively about larger people (like me) who were at the gym. Now I find myself inwardly and sometimes outwardly encouraging them. I know it can be done. Success is just a few more workouts away.
  • JennytheWicked
    JennytheWicked Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have a completely different view on overweight people, especially when I see them at the gym. Before I'd lost my weight, I'd think more negatively about larger people (like me) who were at the gym. Now I find myself inwardly and sometimes outwardly encouraging them. I know it can be done. Success is just a few more workouts away.

I love this outlook.
  • babymine55
    babymine55 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hmm, it surprises me that "fatty" is a term used...for me, it doesn't matter what stage a person is in, my heart bleeds for those that are overweight and merely surviving, rather than living.

We don't always know the details of what someone is walking through. Death of a loved one, sexual abuse (this was me), eating disorder (this was me too). While eating the two drive through meals at McD's...all the while hating myself, I know there were those calling me "fatty", sometimes out loud...sometimes in their head. Did any one of those people stop to care that I was wounded on the inside?

I can say now, I don't give a damn about those haters or judgemental people...I learned a lot from my journey to a LONG TERM healthier life-NEVER, NEVER, NEVER judge a book by its cover, no matter what they happen to be doing. When I see an overweight person, regardless of what they are doing, whether they are finally ready to begin healing, or if they are still broken and hurting, I chose to love them and show encouragement where ever they might be.
  • JennytheWicked
    JennytheWicked Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hmm, it surprises me that "fatty" is a term used...for me, it doesn't matter what stage a person is in, my heart bleeds for those that are overweight and merely surviving, rather than living.

We don't always know the details of what someone is walking through. Death of a loved one, sexual abuse (this was me), eating disorder (this was me too). While eating the two drive through meals at McD's...all the while hating myself, I know there were those calling me "fatty", sometimes out loud...sometimes in their head. Did any one of those people stop to care that I was wounded on the inside?

I can say now, I don't give a damn about those haters or judgemental people...I learned a lot from my journey to a LONG TERM healthier life-NEVER, NEVER, NEVER judge a book by its cover, no matter what they happen to be doing. When I see an overweight person, regardless of what they are doing, whether they are finally ready to begin healing, or if they are still broken and hurting, I chose to love them and show encouragement where ever they might be.

I agree.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options

I'm not saying all overweight people. People that complain about it yet do nothing to change it. It's not like I'd say it out loud or be mean to them. This is just the thought that pops in my mind lol. I can't stand when people complain about stuff that is in their control.