To Shop or Not to Shop, that is the Question

Options
I am down 31 lbs and my clothes are all too big, but every time I go in to a store and pick up an item of clothing, I end up putting it back down again because I don't want to waste my money on something that will only fit for a short while. Does anyone else deal with this? Do you buy the clothes so that you have clothes for now or do you just wait it out? I'm only 12 lbs from my ultimate number goal, but I'm not really sure where the inches are going to end up yet.

Replies

• aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live thrift store clothes are a viable alternative. They're pretty cheap for the most part and keep you from being naked while waiting to get down to your goal weight.

Also remember that the last 10-15ish pounds are usually the hardest for people to lose. They may take longer to lose than you expect, but stick with it. They WILL come off eventually.
  • tavelavl
    tavelavl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What a good problem to have! Have you considered maybe thrift/consignment shops or discount shops, even Target? All you really need are a couple of basic pairs of pants/skirts that will get you through a few weeks. Nothing too expensive, but at the same time, you don't need to feel frumpy wearing clothes that are too big. Save the fancy outfits for when you hit your goal weight. Keep up the good work!
  • srpthlgy
    Options
    Girl, go shopping! It won't hurt to buy a few items that fit you well now and then you can do a big shopping trip when you reach your goal weight. I just packed up my "in between" clothes and I have not an ounce of regret about spending the money on them. It felt good at the time to put on clothes that fit and it felt even better when they started getting baggy. You could always look for clearance items or buy from a consignment shop so the expense isn't too much.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have also lost 30 and hope to lose another 40. I have given a lot of my old clothes away to Thrift stores and am picking up intermediate items to wear from those stores. However I also am buying some items that are on sale and also items that might look good a little bit loose as I drop more weight in the upcoming months. Surprisingly I also had a lot of "too small" clothes in my closet that now fit.

I also plan on buying a few "too tight" items to use as my goal clothes. Thought I had bought one last week (a size 12 - at Costco where I couldn't try it on) but when I got it home I could fit into it. Another 5 pounds and it will look better but still it fits right now.

I waited until 30 pounds were gone because now I can shop in the regular section and not the "womans" section. Now that I am into regular clothes I will probably not restrict myself as much from shopping. PS I hate wearing belts so I get rid of my pants as soon as they start dropping to my hips. :blushing:

So go shopping - just fit it into your pocketbook and your weight loss plans. A nice new item can perk up your mood and get you some nice complements from others as it will highlight your progress. And consider a piece as a goal. It is really uplifting when you can fit that item.
  • hbaby2
    hbaby2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Go shopping! It will keep you motivated when you feel good in a smaller size!

Old navy is the way to go! They have tons of coupons, too!
  • dannytrees1
    dannytrees1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I say go shopping as well, and buy just a few things. I bet you will feel great doing it.
    You are doing great keep it up!
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    what about picking out a few items and finding a tailor to bring them in and every 3 or 4 weeks, you take a few more items (until they can't be taken in any more). should be cheaper than buying new stuff and you also don't have to find new stuff you like! My current size, I don't particularly love my clothes, but the next size down in my closet was before my daughter and I LOVE that stuff, so as I pass thru that size, I'll do just what I've described, I can't imagine being able to replace that stuff for even a fraction of what I pair (I had a Saks problem for a few years). Once that stuff is gone, I'll have no choice but to shop ;) (I obviously have no problem shopping, I do have a new-found problem with parting with my money for something I don't absolutely LOVE)
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I will go check out a couple places for sales tonight and see what I can find. Personally, I HATE shopping and finding clothes has always been a struggle for me (no matter what size). Finding really long pants is brutal and I would think almost non-existent in the thrift stores so I tend not to bother with those places. I'm also a single mom so there will probably not be any major shopping sprees at any point, but rather a slow increase in what I own once I get to where I want to be. We don't have Target in Canada (yet) so that's not an option, but I AM going to Minneapolis in 3 weeks and fully intend to do some shopping at the Outlet Mall. Maybe I should just hold tight until then.

As for taking things to a tailor, I don't really like any of my clothes enough to care to 'save' them, lol.
  • wendygutie
    wendygutie Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Buy clothes tight....has been working for me so far :) Also I shop in the clearance section at Target, or places like Ross or Kohls or even Kmart with their clearances, just because I know I will not last long with them. No full price items until I am at goal weight.

Happy shopping!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    My dry cleaner charges $15 to take in trousers, way cheaper than new and custom fit to your shape. I have one pair I'va had taken in twice:)
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have lost 50lbs in the last 5 months and all my clothes are to big/falling off me :/

I was able to go to the thrift store and buy clothes for 50% off that day and ended up buying clothes for now/smaller clothes. I think I got 22 items for 15 bucks?! I have only bought 2 items the last year that were brand new. I go to the thrift store 1-2 times a month and I look in sizes I dont fit into now and if its new I buy it :)! Another thing I do is give my clothes that dont fit me anymore to people I know who are losing weight also ;)
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Well I spent more money than I wanted to tonight, but I bought 2 pairs of dress pants and 2 sports bras...both are major necessities.

Unfortunately I don't have Target, Kohl's, KMart, Ross or any of those stores because I live in Canada, but heading to the US in a few weeks so I will get to shop more :smile: I just thought dress pants and support for the girls were things that I would like to do now. I also checked Walmart for cheap tops, but found nothing that really jumped out at me.

Did I mention that I hate shopping?
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada also. You might want to check out Zellers as they are going through a large liquidation (closing about 75% of their stores). I also find Reitmans has good prices and good sales quite often for the dressier stuff. Walmart can be fine for the casual stuff. If you are near a major center there are some factory outlet malls. Good luck.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I carried bare minimum to get me through, and I wore them until they looked silly.

For me though, I was getting back on the dating scene during my journey and I needed clothes that not only fit, but that I felt comfortable in. I would usually have 2 pairs of pants and 3-4 shirts on hand that fit. I also needed scrubs for work, but I really pushed the limit with those.

Good luck.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Well I spent more money than I wanted to tonight, but I bought 2 pairs of dress pants and 2 sports bras...both are major necessities.

Unfortunately I don't have Target, Kohl's, KMart, Ross or any of those stores because I live in Canada, but heading to the US in a few weeks so I will get to shop more :smile: I just thought dress pants and support for the girls were things that I would like to do now. I also checked Walmart for cheap tops, but found nothing that really jumped out at me.

Did I mention that I hate shopping?

If you are into Ricki's sign up for their emails, you get coupons and specials ALL the time. Also Old Navy always has a sale or a coupon. Reitmans has alot of sales but I find I am not into their styles anymore. If you are in a big city do you have outlet stores?
  • katescurios
    katescurios Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've started keeping a fashion fund, whenever I save any money on anything, like when I don't have to pay for car parking or when I get discounts on the food shopping.....I chuck it in my fund ready so when I need new clothes I can buy them. I also plan on holding a clothes swap at work, we have them at one of the local bars here, you bring in good quality clothes, shoes and accessories and get a ticket for every item you bring. You can then use those tickets to "buy" things other people bought in. Anything left over goes to a charity shop.
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I usually go ahead and buy stuff and I make sure it's on sale. I deal with 'if I buy it, am I saying it's ok to not lose anymore?" and the answer is always "you'll lose more, but you'll look decent in the meantime!"

Go ahead and treat yourself - just don't pay full price and know that this is only temporary!
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on the clothes...

If you can find a size smaller with stretch that fits (even if just barely) then that would be my first choice... so it fits now and still fits at goal.

Things like bras I typically buy 1 or 2 in my size and 1 or 2 in the next back size down so that I have one to try on periodically to see if it fits yet and then have it for the future when I need it.

Thrift/consignment stores are also a good choice for intermediate clothes. I also agreed with another poster that said clearance items from Target, Kohls, etc. are great. Save the splurges for your goal weight and just buy the necessities in between.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I shop thrift stores as I can't stand buying something that I won't fit into down the line.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Just buy a few inexpensive items that you can rely on for a short amount of time.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!