For Vegans/Vegetarians

Options
I have considered going this route but have food allergies and not sure how to work around that and still get all the nutrients. Plus I live in a small town where not a wide variety is available. I am attempting to grow my own food but have no idea what I'm doing, so help there would be great if you can. I'm allergic to avocado's, bananas, apples, kiwi, most melons, and seems some nuts are starting to bother me. Veggies don't seem to bother me though, so I'm ok there. What would y'all suggest that I do to become vegetarian/vegan or to at least incorporate some vegan nights for dinner?

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Honestly, with all your food allergies, I would talk to a real life nutritionist, not someone that plays one on mfp
  • laurwillbelovely
    Options
    I'm with lesasass! You need to check with a nutritionist to be sure but I'd be happy to offer some vegie recipes once you have! :)
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Vegan here, with a little v.

I would ask yourself why you want to make a change, and how much you love meat. Because I usually try to talk meat lovers out of being veggie ... you feel too deprived.

Having said that, your list is not that long ... yet. I started developing allergies in my late 20s, including dairy. Allergies can certainly grow in number with age.

Nuts aren't the best protein source, but they are a good fat source. They aren't needed, so you won't miss them, but they are certainly a good food in moderation. Almonds and pistachios seem to have some of the best nutrient contents. You have lots of other options for fats as well, hello olive oil and all those seed oils.

Typical meals for me are tortilla, beans, broccoli, corn, peas, salsa; lentil and quinoa casseroles; tofu scramble (there's a spice one from about.com that is great); and just about anything with tempeh.

Your fruit allergies seem to stem from a common protein found in all those fruits. I don't think berries share the same problem - I buy a lot of frozen berries for smoothies, desserts, and snacks. How about oranges and mangoes?

I don't anticipate it being difficult to meet your nutrition needs with your current allergy issues.

I have several favorite cookbooks, I would check anything you can find out of the library, try some recipes and see if this is a switch you really want to make.

Dreena Burton's "eat drink and be vegan" and "let them eat vegan"

Colleen Patrick-Goudeau's "Joy of Vegan Baking"

Madhur Jaffrey's "World Vegetarian"

Robin Robertson's "Vegan Fire & Spice"

Andrea Chesman's "366 Delicious Ways to Cook Rice, Beans, and Grains"

Additionally, many cookbook authors have websites and recipes online. Check out Isa Chandra Moskowitz, Nava Atlas, Lindsay Nixon, vegetariantimes.com.

And ask lots of questions.
  • popslice
    Options
    Learn to cook with different protein sources, like beans, lentils, tofu, quinoa, TVP, tempeh. Replacing your meat with different sources of protein isn't hard, just takes a little research and effort, and your allergies shouldn't be a factor at all. It's never a bad idea to see a nutritionist if you're considering a major dietary change, but I don't see how allergies to a handful of fruits and possibly nuts would really prevent you from going veg, any more than it would prevent you from eating healthily while eating meat.

Cookbooks and vegetarian websites are a good place to start. I love the Moosewood cookbooks (http://www.moosewoodcooks.com/) and my girl Sarah Kramer has written a number of great books, including How it All Vegan, which I think it probably the very best vegan/vegetarian transition book out there: http://www.amazon.ca/Vegan-Irresistible-Recipes-Animal-Free-Diet/dp/1551520672
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you are not going veg for ethical reasons, I'd suggest incorporating at least wild caught fish into your diet and keeping the other meals bean or tofu (if no soy intollerance) based. You can make woderful dishes from beans. Beans and rice, beans soups. just about any Mexican food. Add then to quinoa, rice or pasta salads. Or leafy green salads. Hummus or other bean dips/spreads is great with veggie or apple sticks or on a wrap. Edamame is a great side dish or snack. You can get dry roasted edamame or chick peas to snack on instead of nuts.