95% of people who lose weight put it back on. Why?

Options

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I don't know about others, but for me it is overconfidence that causes me to regain lost weight. After a year or so at a lower weight, I get complacent that I will be this way forever, and fall back into my old eating pattern. Then I begin getting a little more lax on the exercise routine. Then when the weight starts to creep back on I blame it on PMS or water weight or whatever. Then eventually I'm back to where I started and I begin the pattern all over again.

I've done this my whole life. Each new weight loss effort is harder than the last, it seems. I'd like to say I'm going to be vigilant about my eating and exercise habits forever this time, but I don't know that its true. It's just so easy to think of yourself as "done" losing weight after a year or more of maintenance.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I think food "addiction" is slightly different than quitting drinking or smoking simply because, though it may feel to an addict they require cigarettes or alcohol to live, they don't. You HAVE to eat, can't get around it. Food is so abundant and relatively cheap and tied to so many happy things like holidays and family celebrations and sports and all the fun things in life. 90% of the food available in the grocery store closest to my house probably isn't worth eating, really. Cutting back or cutting some things out for the most part, takes a lot of attention and care every day.
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I'm a victim of this.

First started off at 246lbs, and got down all the way to 185lbs. This was during the summer and my cousin came by from Montreal to visit us, we went out every day till he left at the end of summer. Afterwards I started my first year in college and my priorities changed. I kept eating out and snacking constantly and lost track of my weight. During the winter break I went all the way back up to 230lbs. Since then I've been up and down with 195-205lbs. I'm currently 205lbs.

I'm aware that being healthy is a lifestyle and not a fad. I know once I reach my goal I'll have a bit more wiggle room to eat what I like(my biggest weakness is food,) but I know now it's a lifestyle change and I'm open for the challenges and goals that come with it.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I think food "addiction" is slightly different than quitting drinking or smoking simply because, though it may feel to an addict they require cigarettes or alcohol to live, they don't. You HAVE to eat, can't get around it. Food is so abundant and relatively cheap and tied to so many happy things like holidays and family celebrations and sports and all the fun things in life. 90% of the food available in the grocery store closest to my house probably isn't worth eating, really. Cutting back or cutting some things out for the most part, takes a lot of attention and care every day.

I agree with this.
  • ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    The "why" is simple. It stops becoming a priority. The reasons it stops can vary.

I gained weight when my mom was sick and in the hospital, then more after she died, and more still after my father died about a year later. If I had to go through that hell again, I wouldn't do things differently. I wouldn't take time away from sitting by her hospital bed to go for a run. I'd still have visited my Dad as much as I could... more if I'd known how little time we had. I wouldn't make "me" a priority until I could do that without taking time away from those who needed me more.

That said, I also gained because the last time I lost, I didn't do it in a sustainable way. It wasn't a lifestyle I could maintain long term. This time, I never starved myself to lose, and never cut out foods I loved. I added more healthier foods, and a lot more exercise, and it's something I've been able to stick with for almost two years now.

Yes. Saying people gain it back "because they choose to" is not really right. No one wakes up one day and say, "Hey, ya know what, I'm tired of being fit! Time to fatten up again!" This is much, much more accurate.
  • stephenson2012
    stephenson2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This is a really good post. I have battled hypothroidism for years. The weight creeped up. I have exercised the entire time. I have battle feet problem. The weight creeped up. Part of the excuse you make with yourself. This time I am focused and made it a priority. Also I am not in hurry to get to the finish line, I just want to get to the finish line like I did in my first half marathon. I want to be healthier. Its same changes like drinking water versus a diet drink. I no longer drink diet anything. So far, I am down 20 pounds, I am now finally in the upper healthy range. I plan to lose more and stay in the healthy range, I saw the health battle both my parents fought, I don't want to do the same thing. I have seen my sister battle cancer 3 times and know how the her being overweight has contributed to it. Being healthy and not on a lot of medications is my goal. I remind myself of that every day and will the rest of my life.
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    i suspect most dieters do the 'good' food 'bad' food thing:

1. stop eating 'bad' foods
    2. weight falls off
    3. fall off wagon and quit diet halfway through OR
    4. achieve weight goal before eventually slipping back to bad foods.

there are of course other issues surrounding weightloss such as a basic refusal to take responsibility for what you eat, but until you learn the art of moderation you're pretty much doomed to failure.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Alot of people see their goal as achieving their desired weight and they are done and no longer have to stick to their diet. A more logical goal would to achieve your desired weight and see how long you can maintain it. The longer the better. Now that is the real goal. Nobody said this was gonna be easy.
  • hunkycanuck
    hunkycanuck Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Great thread, I have really enjoyed the discussion. I too am an emotional eater. I make terrible food decisions when I am hungry, angry, lonely or tired. I have had to make some emotional shifts on top of learning how to eat properly, plan/prepare my own meals and portion control. MFP has been life changing for me and the perfect compliment to the self discovery I have embarked upon. I understand that I have to be accountable for my food intake and daily activity level. I have heard that the people that continue to keep the weight off continue to journal their food.
  • MyPaperBleedsInk
    MyPaperBleedsInk Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Easy to fall back into old habits.
    I've had issues with gaining weight back that I lose. I think things to myself like, "I'm finally losing weight.... I feel good about myself... I think I can splurge on some soda and ice cream." 5 cans of soda and 2 large bowls of ice cream later..... welllllllll......
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    Becuase you can only go so long before you realize the awesomeness of nachos.

Truth!

I think it's that as Americans(assuming that's what the study was done upon) have an emotional attachment to food. Our society and media have made it out to be the necessity to life, which it is, but not at the cost of our life. Here we are allowed to have as many free soda pop refills as we want and some places offer bottomless fries so you just keep eating and eating even if you're truly no longer hungry. And we're teaching our kids bad habits (In my opinion!) because most parents make them eat all their dinner because they dont want to waste it, which I understand, but seriously, if the kid isn't hungry, don't make them eat. Unless they can't understand what true hunger is(I'd say under 5) otherwise ask them if they're hungry. Don't let them sit inside on the computer or TV all day, make them go outside and play, hell go outside with them.

As a psychologist, unfortunately, a lot of emotional eating is tied to lack of self control, lack of self worth/low self image, bad habits from parents and depression and do you know what the BEST medication for depression is? EXERCISE. Why? Because you release hormones, particularly serotonin which is the neurotransmitter(essentially a chemical) that if you're lacking you become depressed. Lovely but vicious cycle isn't it? You eat because you're depressed/lonely/upset and then you become more depressed/lonely/upset so you eat more and then you realize you're getting fat so you become more depressed/lonely/upset and you eat even more. Instead of getting up and taking charge of their lives they'd rather wallow in self pity.
  • mjtull
    mjtull Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    People often want to lose weight but they want to eat even more. Food is tasty, briefly satisfying and often social and an escape. People are often offering you food by preparing it in front of you or you see it in stores or on TV. We need food and our food is often packed with colores.
    So if you don't want to gain back the weight you have to learn to defeat all of the above.
    You have to learn about the food you eat, measure it and minimise empty foods like bread. Change whole milk for skim, eat some empty calories like tomattoes, cucumbers, roasted peppers, lettice but make it taste good and don't eat the high calorie dressings.
    Even the type of fruit you eat makes a difference and don't drink juice. Learn to poach, steam and microwave. stop cooking much in fat. Stop eating breading. McDonalds cesar salad with grilled chicken and light dressing about 320 calories, with cripsy chicken 520 and with fatty dressing 620 thats double. Think of calories as money in your pocket you only have so much to spend so spend it wisely to satisfy your nutrition and hunger needs.
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    im going to be the 5% that doesnt put it back on :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    95% of people are worthless and weak

thank you Sir may I have another
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Because MOST people are on a DIET and when they hit that NUMBER GOAL they go back to eating and acting like they did when they started their DIET! With a LIFESTYLE change you Emotionally, Psychologically, Mentally, Spiritually and Physically ACCEPT that "This" is the way you will eat/exercise... for YOUR Life (with a few tweeks as needed). Most people who succeed also usually are backed into a corner, in that what they "just left" is FARRRR SCARRIER than being without certain food. In other words it is like which best describes a Winner: (1) Someone who gets more pleasure out of Winning than anything, or (2) Someone who Hates to and Fears losing more than anything. The #2 Person is the one who will Consistently WIN AND that type of Person will also keep the weight off (The Fear and Disdain of Regaining the weight - the destruction it caused, the illness, the humiliation...OUTWEIGHS just "looking good" in clothes or for vanity purposes!!!) Remember MOST people "losing weight" are just doing it for cosmetic reasons, when you get to the people who are BEYOND that...you got your remaining 6% who's LIFE (in their Minds) depends on them staying HEALTHY (including wt loss!).
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Old habits die hard... it is sooooo easy too fall back into old habits!
    I plan on staying here long after I have met my goal!
  • malicent
    Options
    pokemon%20pizza.jpg
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I gained it back because I didn't take the time to learn about food and why I 'got fat' and was still fat at the time.
    I just thought what I was eating wasn't making me fat, it was the lack of exercise or that it couldn't make me gain back that quickly. I also did diets that were stupid and sent my body flipping out.

Now, I'm learning about food and the way it makes me feel physically rather than emptionally.
    I don't sit and think about how many days I have left of this horrid regime. I don't dream about all the foods I'm not allowed to have and how I'm going to stuff them into my head the minute I stop the diet. I'm not starving all the time and wishing I just had something I could CHEW!
    I'm going to be in the 5%.
  • RockinBooty89
    Options
    There is no one reason, but here is what I know contributes...

Lower income means finding food that will be good as long as it stays in your pantry, cant spend money on healthy food, cant afford to.

If food is an addiction for you, unlike almost any other addiction, you cant quit cold turkey, you cant quit at all... imagine telling a drug addict "You just have to learn to use drugs or alcohol in moderation, you'll be fine then".

The world we live in moves very fast, people don't have the time anymore to a) workout or get any physical stimulation b) prepare good healthy meals for themselves or their families and c) relax properly and get a full 8 hours of sleep.

All of these things have an impact on our bodies and it takes tremendous effort to recognize and break these cycles.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    There is no one reason, but here is what I know contributes...

Lower income means finding food that will be good as long as it stays in your pantry, cant spend money on healthy food, cant afford to.

totally not true but a common excuse