What are your cows eating? -thoughts and facts please

Options
Today I heard this story on the radio: http://www.marketplace.org/topics/sustainability/what-are-your-cows-eating-cookies-ice-cream-and-more

To sum it up, because of current drought conditions farmers are being forced to find new, less expensive food sources for their cattle. Cattle typically eat corn according to the story, but because the price is high now, some cattle are instead eating chocolate, reject taco shells from the factory and even left-over candy. This immediately made me wonder, what is the effect on the quality of the meat and dairy that these cows are producing? The farmer interviewed for the story openly admitted that the cows get fat from the high sugar diet, just like a human would. So then I wonder, well is there some equivalent of cow diabetes? Does the extra belly fat make them unhealthy too? It can't be good for the animals. The health of the animals wasn't even mentioned in the story, it was more just the "wow" factor that animals like candy too (who wouldn't like anything that's mainly sugar?). I can't imagine that drinking milk that comes form a cow who primarily ate sugar over a cow who ate a balanced diet can be as nutritionally sound, but then again I don't know much about animal biology.

So now I ask you beloved MFP community, not only what do you think about this issue, but also does anyone have any facts on how the cow's diet impacts the human health later down the line if we eat their meat and or dairy? Grass-feds meats are becoming more popular, but I'm not sure what studies have been done to prove if they are actually better for you.

I don't intend for this to become a political post, I'd rather that you share information about how this kind of diet impacts not only our health, but the animals as well. Let's try and stick to the facts people.

Replies

• gredavis
    Options
    i dont think their primary diet is sugar
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    When I was in university many many years ago, 1971-76, we visited a "modern farm". Cattle were locked into their stalls and fed from a conveyor belt. On the conveyer belt was a mixture of, guess what, chips, crackers and other snack foods. The "snacks" were crushed and mixed with some sort of oil to form a paste or slurry. This paste was fed continuously for over a hundred days to fatten them up for market. So the practice is not new. Oh yes, the diet of slurry destroyed their digestive systems...leaving them vulnerable for slaughter.

On a lighter note, given the price of steak they must be eating gold
  • jonibc
    jonibc Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I heard that story too and was just telling my husband about it. Face it, if you are what you eat, those cows are going to lack the nutrition that cows should have if they are eating what cows should eat. I don't care if local meat does cost more, we're going to quit buying grocery store meats.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Not sure how this current shift in diet affects human health down the line, but there is a great deal of evidence supporting that the feed of animals affects the balance of Omega 3 and Omega 6 in the end products.

Cows, fish and chickens produce products with more Omega 6 and less Omega 3 when fed grain instead of grazing (or in the case of fish, farm-raised versus wild). In fact, one of the reasons that eggs are healthier today than they were 20 years ago (and the entire philosophy behind Eggland's Best) is that we feed the chickens differently now.

So yes, I think feeding cows waste from other areas of the food industry will ultimately impact the nutritional value of all products derived from them. Couldn't guess how though.
  • ksemien
    ksemien Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm in Texas and own cattle with my father. The hay supply has improved over the last year, so our cattle of course eat grass and hay, but hey also eat Rice Shaft, Bread, and Potatoes. Occassionally we may auction a couple off and not sure where they end up or what they end up as.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Cows aren't supposed to eat corn, either. They like to graze.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have honestly never read a post or article that made me want to turn vegitarian/vegan, until now.....

edit: and this may sound weird but the reason isn't ONLY because of the nutritional value for me in the end result of eating the cow. It's the fact that these poor creatures are succomb to this... I know it's weird but I love cows, I think they're adorable and cuddly and I was raised on a farm my entire life, but I do, in fact, eat them. I just never have eaten any that we raised personally. But the ones we raised were fed sweet feed, grass, and hay. That's it. So I would feel good about whoever gets to have them for dinner getting the best they can from that cow. But... this... I don't want to eat a cow that's been given things like this... it makes me sad for the cow....
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    MMMmmmmm chocolate taco shell candied steak! Yum!
  • cookn_mama
    cookn_mama Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    this story is not only about cows. A local pig farmer feeds his pigs cereal, ice cream, milk. All products that normally would go to waste. Not sure how I feel about that but atleast someone or something is benefitting from the sale of waste material. With the economy the way it is, I'm sure we have not heard the last of this subject.
    Oh wait!!! Kind of reminds me of way back when when people used to slop the hogs. They ate leftover table scraps and garden remains. Not much different.
  • Punchabear
    Options
    One of my coworkers and a couple friends of mine raise cows. All grass fed.
  • terra32903
    terra32903 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Former farm girl here. My now ex-husband owned a dairy farm that was in the family for over 100+ years. I recently visited the farm and some other farms while I was there (New York) to see some friends. I can assure you that not at one of them did I see any of the items you mentioned fed to the cattle. We have always fed and they continue to feed the cattle hay, dried corn, soy beans, sileage, minerals etc. No chocolate, taco shells or the like as mentioned in the story. The most obscure? food I have ever seen fed to the cattle is unsold pumpkins from the nearby grower. I saw the story also and honestly feel that farms that they mentioned are more the exception than the rule. I will say though that fresh locally raised beef tastes a thousand times better than the meat you buy at chain grocery stores.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    cows also eat hay! not just corn
  • Squiggs67
    Options
    We've been buying local, grass fed beef for two years plus eating harvested elk (hubby is a hunter). We much prefer knowing where our meat is coming from even though it is more expensive.
  • ChunkiChica
    Options
    Cows are eating a lot of corn and other byproducts (sugar slurries) from other food manufacturing. It's not healthy for the cows, and it's not healthy for us. But it's kind of hard to avoid the nasties of food production - malnourished meats, pesticide-laden fruits and vegetables, and corn - lots and lots of corn. Americans have a pretty poor diet. But don't be fooled by "cage free" eggs, organic produce, and hormone-free milk and meats. Especially the word "natural" - it means nothing! The standards for "healthy" foods are limited, and have a lot of freedoms. So unless you speak directly with the growers, do not assume anything. A lot of times, the "bad" foods are not much worse than the "healthy" ones. That being said, if you eat meat, try and find a distributer that grazes their cattle on grass during the summers. Certain foods are more prone to pesticide residue, and are better bought organic - i.e. apples. Learn about the guidelines for "organic" produce online. Educate yourself. You'll be amazed at how insane our food system is from farm to table.

But keep in mind that we wouldn't be able to feed everyone on "natural", "organic" produce and meat alone.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    i dont think their primary diet is sugar

Shouldn't be grains either, but they sure feed it to them on those factory farms.

The cows I eat are grass fed, the way they are supposed to eat.
  • cookn_mama
    cookn_mama Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Former farm girl here. My now ex-husband owned a dairy farm that was in the family for over 100+ years. I recently visited the farm and some other farms while I was there (New York) to see some friends. I can assure you that not at one of them did I see any of the items you mentioned fed to the cattle. We have always fed and they continue to feed the cattle hay, dried corn, soy beans, sileage, minerals etc. No chocolate, taco shells or the like as mentioned in the story. The most obscure? food I have ever seen fed to the cattle is unsold pumpkins from the nearby grower. I saw the story also and honestly feel that farms that they mentioned are more the exception than the rule. I will say though that fresh locally raised beef tastes a thousand times better than the meat you buy at chain grocery stores.
    [/quote
    I buy my beef from a local farmer. Only Corn Fed. No hormones. Cut the steaks with a fork!
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Do you know that humans are the only species that seek out and drink another species milk? Do you know that baby cows are removed from their mothers within a few days of birth so that their milk can be stolen for human consumption? Do you know that the overproduction of milk in dairy cows produces a high PUS count in the milk you drink? Yes, PUS. Do you think that is healthy? Forget what they told you when growing up- that we need dairy products to be healthy, yada yada yada. Drinking cows milk, horse milk, pig milk or dog milk is NOT natural and not healthy. AT ALL. The consumption of animal products correlates with the development of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc. All the major killers. The more of these products you eat, the more trouble you are in. Read about the China Study, watch Forks Over Knives, do SOMETHING. But please don't believe that you are consuming dairy products for your health. There is nothing healthy whatsoever about what the animal industry is doing to you via your palate. All they care about is their bottom line.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    My brother-in-law is a rancher. His cows eat grass, hay, and are supplemented with some cattle feed. They pasture graze instead of being cooped up in stalls all day. But I know the majority of our beef is not treated so well.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    this story is not only about cows. A local pig farmer feeds his pigs cereal, ice cream, milk. All products that normally would go to waste. Not sure how I feel about that but atleast someone or something is benefitting from the sale of waste material. With the economy the way it is, I'm sure we have not heard the last of this subject.
    Oh wait!!! Kind of reminds me of way back when when people used to slop the hogs. They ate leftover table scraps and garden remains. Not much different.

It's a huge difference. Slop is mostly natural, raw foods.....scraps and such. Not junk food.
  • myriahj84
    Options
    I actually JUST read an article about this: http://www.isagenixhealth.net/blog/2012/09/18/why-use-new-zealand-whey-grain-fed-cows-are-sick/

I don't eat a lot of meat but the protein that I get daily is from protein shakes. I specifically chose this brand because it is organic and from grass fed cows. I try to only buy organic food and eat meat from grass-fed animals on the rare occasion that I do eat meat.