Does anyone have a relative....

Options
Who brings over junk food constantly? I have very little control over what goes in my cupboards and refrigerator. I don't want to set my family up as the enemy but it's a constant battle! The big southern-fried meals (everything gets a cup of butter, including the vegetables), the desserts, potato chips, cookies, candy, etc...Things that if I were living by myself would be non-existent. But I am constantly faced with this food that is so unhealthy and detrimental to my weight loss goals! I would just like to know how other people are dealing with this issue. I know I'm not the only one and I also know it can be done.

Replies

• teenuhbees
    Options
    Oh for sure! It's even harder when they keep offering to bring it over. It always turns out bad too, you eat it, you drink some with them, then you feel bad and then feel even worse because you don't know how to tell them to stop! My roommate has a lot of junk food and it gets so hard to stay away from her stuff! Just keep putting in your healthy food into the fridge and cabinets and find a medium between you and the relative (small portions of their food perhaps?)

Good luck!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    I have very little control over what goes in my cupboards and refrigerator.
    But you have absolutely all the control over what goes into you.
  • Carleybby
    Carleybby Posts: 158
    Options
    My boyfriend constantly brings pop and chips into the house.

and then tries to share with me, he's not a very good supporter. haha.

I've been making him get Pepsimax though, and only taking a couple doritos.
  • pawprint061
    Options
    My family use to be like that. One day I had enough and told them that if they kept bringing over junk food that I wouldn't let them in the house. If they kept offering it to me, I'd stop coming over. I made it very clear that I didn't want it or to be around it. they finally understood and stopped. Now things are more healthy not just for me, but also for my overweight younger sisters who have tons of medical problems. It benefited everyone..
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I know that stinks. Why don't you try to talk to them about it. Tell them that you need there support!!! Good luck. It will get easier to saying no to taht type of food. its take a little bit of time.
  • mablesyrup
    mablesyrup Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    YES! My family had some financial problems and moved in with my grandparents- but now they need us here to help- so we are still here. They ALWAYS have sweets. It's so tempting. My grandma makes cookies/cakes/pies almost daily. They eat them for breakfast- for snacks with coffee and for something sweet after dinner. It is so hard- however, what I have learned is MODERATION. Sure- I can have a cookie- but limit it (as hard as it is) to just one cookie. (instead of 4 or 5).

Yesterday was my moms birthday- and I knew we'd be going out and having something to eat and having cake. So I made sure to really plan ahead for the day- when my family ordered an Onion Flower to eat- (one is like 2500 calories alone!) I knew not eating any would be a battle I wouldn't win- (and i LOVE the blooming onions) so instead I just took a small portion and didn't use any of the dip. (granted- this pushed me WAAAAY over on my sodium intake for the day... ) But I was still proud of myself, because I was able to keep my portions under control AND have a piece of cake with frosting and I still had 150 some calories left over for the day!

I've learned instead of giving in- I just need to stick to it. I have been religously logging my food everyday- and I made my food diary "public". This also helps keep me accountable. I have no reason to lie- and not log everything I eat- because I know what I ate- and I have to take responsibility for my actions. So I am completely honest with my food logging/diary. If I'm not honest with myself about what I'm really doing- how will I ever be able to learn and change?

I've spun around how I view living here and being "tempted" all the time. INstead of dwelling on how hard it is- I am THANKFUL I am forced to deal with everyday- because everyday I have to avoid it and/or really plan meals and watch portions- it's one more day that I am that much closer to having

total self control- so when I am by myself- I will still follow what I am doing. (I am one of those people who is a "closet" eater- where if nobody is around I will go pig out). So its helped for them all to know what I'm doing too- I love competition and want to prove to everyone that I can do this!

A huge inspiration for me has been my aunt- but probably not in the way she thinks she is an inspiration to me. 2 months ago she had weight loss surgery- and all she talks about is how much weight she's lost etc etc... She keeps giving me all of her clothes that don't fit- and well I am appreciative, it also somewhat feels like a slap in the face... at least in my opinion.

I struggled a LONG time (years) with weight loss surgery, however I don't have insurance, so it never really was an option for me. (but if i had had insurance there was a time when I would have done it). I spend lots of time viewing before and after weight loss pictures for inspiration. While viewing pictures, I realized that the people who had surgery- while they were thin- they didn't appear very healthy. Their skin colors weren't "right".. and everything just seemed to "hang".. they just didn't look healthy. However, when I viewed pictures of people who had exercised and changed their eating habits and educated themselves about nutrition- they appeared so much for tone and healthier looking. And, I won't get started on the countless stories of how surgery doesn't change your eating habits etc... its more like a "band aid" to cover the symptoms. That is something I DO NOT want..

Sorry I kind of got off on a tangent.

I hope something I have said helps you. You can send me a message anytime =) I can totally relate to your situation. I have 3 young children and it's maddening trying to keep them out of the sweets- especially when grandma and grandpa are always sharing and have no sense of portions. (the other night i was out and came home and they had let my 3 year old eat 4 cheese sticks AFTER dinner before bed) *ugh*.

I know that if I can get through this and still keep positive changes- that there isn't anything that could come my way in the future that I cannot overcome when it comes to eating healthy and portion control and most importantly Self Control.. because ultimately that's what this all boils down too.. Self Control.
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    I have very little control over what goes in my cupboards and refrigerator.
    But you have absolutely all the control over what goes into you.

I have to agree with this. But it is easier SAID than done.

My boyfriend is trying to GAIN weight and can eat anything in the world. This is not the case for me. And it is SO hard not to indulge in his McD's lifestyle come lunch time or at home when he is stocking the 'fridge with nothing but sugary sodas.

My best advice to you, try to keep alternatives around. It's hard to put down a family member who has brought some good cooking or something you'd rather have, but they need to respect the lifestyle that you are trying to create for yourself. If you can't resist then just do your best to have a "taste" instead of a huge portion of it or counter balance it with something healthy like a salad or piece of fruit.

Good luck!
  • ginielliott70
    Options
    it really is a issue that we all have to deal with but pawprints is right you just need to tell them that it is a battle that you are fighting everyday and fatty food and junk food is your weakness and you cant be tempted with it .Just be honest with them and tell them you love them but you need all the help you can get. Also once you get used to not eating that type of food it will be easier for you to resist it .Truth is you will always be tempted no matter where you are ,its a choice you have to make for your self. And if you get weak just take a bite., and walk away ..very very quickly
  • mablesyrup
    mablesyrup Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    One more thing I forgot to add.. Can you cook meals?????

I cook the meals here at our house. My grandma, if she cooks will cover all the veggies with butter and salt.. so I cook the meals- and serve them PLAIN... (just steamed or whatever) and if they want to put butter or salt on- fine- but they do it on their own.
  • mdale2
    mdale2 Posts: 79
    Options
    I AM the evil relative that cooks with real butter and whole milk. If you're using whole ingredients and are mindful of their caloric impact, they're not as bad as you may think. I suppose one could avoid them if they were tempted to dump a half stick of butter atop a dish of green beans almondine, but that would be extreme overkill. Fried foods, sugary treats, and processed junk, on the other hand, not the same - you won't find it in my house. I don't give it as gifts and for the most part don't receive it as gifts because people know better.
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    yes my fil always brings over candy and snack cakes - it drives me crazy i usually end up taking them to church and handing them out as treats to the kids