Calling all Present and Former University Students!!

I recently lost 10 pounds during the summer which was a major accomplishment for me because I have struggled with my weight for years and I can admittedly say that I emotionally eat. Well, fall semester has rolled around and now I am insanely busy. I have stopped working out and have begun to eat terrible uni food which inevitable made me regain the weight I've lost.

Do any of you have tips on how to stay healthy while in school? I am struggling!

Replies

• tubbytuker
    tubbytuker Posts: 15 Member
    It's been a while for me ... so much so that one of my boys has already graduated and the other is in second year, that being said, I yoyod at the start of university and then found that joining a club where exercise was sport was really helpful. Do you like tennis? or basketball?or volleyball? These are games that are fun so you will get a workout, work off some of your school stress and feel better in the long run. Good luck! My youngest who is still in uni is playing ultimate frisbee at school ... have fun!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    As a professor I've spent my life in school.

All unis have salad bars and lots of veggies. Eat them. MOST have a lower cal option every day.

You can log their food and watch portions just like anywhere else - and it's easier not to snack because there is no kitchen in your room. You walk a lot on campus I bet.

You don't need to go to the gym to lose weight (it is good for other things). But you do need to watch what goes in your mouth and choose healthy options. You can do it!
  • MyPaperBleedsInk
    MyPaperBleedsInk Posts: 240 Member
    Join a club that involves fitness...... dancing, sports, etc.
    Set aside at least 20 minutes to workout when you have the time.... morning after you wake up.... night before you go to bed....
    don't take the simple routes to classes. Heck... some days I'll go up the stairs to take a sky walk which takes longer to do then to go straight to the building, just because it gives me more walking and more stairs.
  • LuckyTerrier
    LuckyTerrier Posts: 73 Member
    I'm a graduate student working on preparing my thesis, so I know all about being very busy. I think the most important thing is that you have to be strict with yourself and not allow any excuses. Make time for working out no matter what. Taking a study break actually helps you be more productive, so don't feel guilty about taking 30-60 minutes to do something good for your body.

As far as eating, every campus is different, but most do try to offer some healthy options including salads and lean protein. Find out if your school has nutrition info available for cafeteria food so you can look at it and make decisions before you actually get there. Also focus on drinking a lot of water (carry a bottle around with you) and choosing healthy snacks. You may not have too much control over your meals, but you can definitely make sure to stock some healthy snacks in your dorm.
  • I'm a graduate student, but I just finished undergrad last year. What worked well for me was taking exercise classes as part of my course load (we could sign up for 1-2 unit "activity" courses.) Since I was being graded, I had to show up! Plus, it's way cheaper than taking classes like yoga or kickboxing at a studio. If that doesn't work, I schedule working out in my day like any other class. I bought a yoga bag to be my main school bag, and keep my workout clothes in there so I always have them with me (it has pockets for clothes and a padded pocket for my laptop.) If you're busy, try to pack a lunch that you can eat on the go. Some days I only had protein shakes and carrot sticks, but it was good enough to get me through.