Best time of the day to work out?

Options
This probably sounds really stupid but I don't like working out in the morning because I feel like im not working off calories as I would be at the end of the day after eating. It's just a mindset I have, but I still always work out in the morning. Today is my 3rd day of insanity, I worked out first thing, didn't eat until after. I'm so tired and sore I've been basically laying on my butt all day and trying not to eat unhealthy because I feel starving even though I've eaten lunch and veggies for snacks.
I feel like it's wrong to be so lazy after working out but I have no energy right now.

Anyone recommend a better time in the day to work out and what meals to eat before and after.
I have a feeling not eating is not smart to do before insanity, but at the same time I don't want to fill up before a workout.

Replies

• ponderosakaren
    ponderosakaren Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi there from New Zealand! I'm working with a personal trainer who tells me any time of day is good...its mostly about fitting it into your daily routine so it becomes, well, routine! I workout mid day because I work from home and can do that. He reckons eating nothing from breakfast to workout is too long to go without food, so advocates a small snack about half an hour before I start, such as an apple or half a flapjack/muesli bar just to get a bit of energy and we can then work it off! He also gives me a juice as we start, a little glass of maybe carrot, apple and ginger (yummy) or pineapple/ginger (also yummy) and this seems to pep me up. When we finish I have a swig of apple cider vinegar...it breaks up the fat after exercise (or something technical like that!)...then apply ice to my knees (injury related) and have a spot of lunch such as cupasoup and crackers, or salad wrap, then a nut bar mid afternoon. That keeps me going all day as a rule and I have bags of energy to head into the afternoon slot!
    Hope those ideas help...I'm fairly new to mfp and have a truck of weight to lose after inactivity following an accident so need all the help I can get! Keep up the good work and don't starve yourself !
  • spokey82
    Options
    Hi! I workout at 6 a.m. every morning. Not by choice I suppose, but because it's the only time I have during my busy day. I am currently doing another BeachBody program called Body Beast which is designed to put on muscle and burn fat. I've also done P90X and Insanity. i generally wake up and have something lite before working out like a protein shake, and then afterward I eat breakfast, usually something high in protein and with a decent amount of carbs. If you are ever looking for support or for somewhere to share in your workout journey, I'm holding a Beachbody challenge group on Facebook that is great for motivating and answering questions. Let me know, I'd be glad to help :)

Dean
    Independent Beachbody Coach
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, the very best time of day is whatever best works with your schedule (work, school, sleep etc) :wink:

I actually love to work out in the morning but I love sleep more and I have to be in the car for work no later than 7:30A. I'm a natural night owl so getting up and out the door on time is a daily struggle, I guess it will be all my life as it has been so far (I'm 33) lol. So I do my morning workouts on the weekends (around 10-11 am). And during the week, I work out in the evening, usually around 7:30P. I dislike how it kills my evenings sometimes but I want to do it and I know I would never ever stick with it if I decided to try getting up early enough to do it before work.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Workout whatever time works best for you. For 8 months I worked out at 6pm 5 nights a week after work. Now I'm working out at 10 am 5 days a week before work (work schedule changed). Do what works best for you.
  • xcarbonix
    Options
    My work out solely depends on when I am going to work.

Sometimes it's in the morning. Sometimes it's in the night. I prefer working out in the morning because I feel like it gives me a huge wave of energy and kick starts my body's ability to burn everything I eat through out the day. I intake protein before I work out because I've found it digests easy and give me longer lasting work outs. I know zilch professionally about anything I just said. It's just what works best for me!
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I work out before work, 6 on Monday and Tuesday, 5:30 on Wednesday and Thursday. I get up at 5 or a little before, have a cup of coffee (black) and on Monday and Tuesday, I also have some Greek yogurt (about 175-200 calories worth). On Wednesday and Thursday, just the coffee. After the workouts, I have cheese toast or bacon and eggs. Probably not enough carbs some days, but it works for me.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    Work out at whatever time feels right for you. There is no hard and fast rule. The most important thing is actually doing it. For example if you hate getting up early, don't think you're going to maintain a gym habit that requires you to get up early. Why set yourself up to be miserable, or worse, to fail? Make it as easy on yourself and as convenient as possible and you're more likely to stick with it.
  • AmyBecky74
    AmyBecky74 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    The best time of day to workout is when you and fit it in and have the energy for it. i believe there is no benifit to morning/noon/night. Your body can't tell time. I workout out at night because workouts make me tired but for others workouts wake them up so mornings are better for them.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    You should eat something before you decide to work out, maybe an 1hr prior too like something small with carbs and protein. itll give that extra energy boost you may need. i workout in the evenings about 5pm cos my little one is looked after by my partner,im too tired in the morning to workout after waking up frequently during the night for my little one to eat;). i own insanity and P90x but have not decided which one i wanna start or when, im 8 wks pp .