NEWBIE:) HOW TO LOSE WEIGHT AND GAIN MUSCLE

Options
HI i joined this site a while ago but this is really the first time im using it.. im 15 stone my bmi is 32 im 5'8. i just want a bit of help with my diet im planning on doing i want to lose 2 stone and gain muscle before xmas.. i can never stick to diets i allways crave sweets which is my downfall... i was thinking of doing a high protein low carb diet which consists of steaks eggs protein shakes jello instead of sweets chicken fish mainly protein foods and a lot of weight lifting. will this help me lose weight fast? also please add me

Replies

• MJMARIN81
    Options
    I think you will lose weight fast but without the carbs it will be hard to gain sizeable muscle. I think. I read numerous times that its the carbs that really help with size. But if you just meant lean and some muscle, than yea it should work.
  • jamesyboid
    jamesyboid Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thanks for your reply :) what carbs would you recomend
  • msharksb
    msharksb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend you take 45% of your total calories as carbs. 35% for protein and 20% fats. Maybe you'd like to try Intermittent Fasting. I just started it 2 months ago and i'm just trying it out myself but it seems to be working. You can learn more about it at leangains.com.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    HI i joined this site a while ago but this is really the first time im using it.. im 15 stone my bmi is 32 im 5'8. i just want a bit of help with my diet im planning on doing i want to lose 2 stone and gain muscle before xmas.. i can never stick to diets i allways crave sweets which is my downfall... i was thinking of doing a high protein low carb diet which consists of steaks eggs protein shakes jello instead of sweets chicken fish mainly protein foods and a lot of weight lifting. will this help me lose weight fast? also please add me

Generally speaking:

You are not going to build a significant amount of lean mass while dropping 2 stone. However, you should still lift as though you intend to, and if you do things right you may show a slight gain out of the deal by being new at things.

It would be in your best interest to do the following things and I'm going to try to present you with a complete list to the best of my ability..

1) Eat at a mild calorie deficit of about 15-20% under TDEE.
    2) Eat sufficient protein and fat intake and throw the rest in carbs for training intensity.
    (Please see here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981)
    3) Lift weights. Ideally you should use a pre-written program such as Starting Strength, Stronglifts, All Pros, etc)
    (Ex: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843)
    4) Get rest (follow the program, whichever one you choose).
    5) Repeat.

Additional cardio/exercise is fine provided it doesn't interfere with any of the above. Tailor that to personal preference. Your meal frequency should also follow personal preference. Some people prefer 3/day, some do IF, etc -- just don't get caught up in any of that right now as you should be focusing on the necessities and not the optionals.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    If you are just now getting started, spend a few weeks just learning how to plan meals and exercise sessions. Read around the boards and see what is working for people and what is not. For best results:

1. Measure all your food. Get a food scale and weigh your food whenever possible. Also use measuring cups and spoons for liquid measurements.

2. Weigh and measure at the same timed. I weigh daily and measure monthly. I always weight when I first wake in the morning just before I shower and dress. Same people prefer to weigh only weekly. I like the daily weigh in because it keeps me focused and motivated.

3. If you aren't seeing the progress you would like, change your strategy. Don't wait weeks or months to change your strategy, change it up if you are stalled,at 2 weeks. The body is very good at trying to hang on to fat. It is on to our plan and will figure out how to hang onto that fat. We gotta keep it guessing.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    If you are going to go lower carb, you should try to center the majority of your carbs around your workout. You need enough to fuel your workout, but not to the point that they make you sluggish. Your body also needs carbs to get the proteins to your muscles after a workout. I like oatmeal before a workout, and usually a banana in a protein shake after a workout.

Make sure you are getting plenty of fibrous veggies, too. You need sufficient vitamins, and minerals to keep your body going.
  • MJMARIN81
    Options
    Whole grains and fruits would be the best way to go with the carbs and I agree if you are going low carb try to get most of them around your workouts.