How much weight do you put on when you do squats?

Options

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    And for weight, I usually put on 120kgs/265lbs for strength training or 100kg/220lbs for hypertrophy
    Squatting til you drop! And trust me, my legs are NOT bulky! =)

Good God woman. You are a beast! Love it! I'm only squatting about 120 and that's on the Smith rack. :( I want to start in the regular squat rack but I lift alone and it makes me nervous. Lol.

If you have a squat rack squatting in the rack is much better for you than squatting using the smiths machine.

I know. much better range of motion and much less risk of injury. Gotta get out of my comfort zone and do it. They have safety bars. I'll be fine! Lol. (I hope!) Haha! ;)

If you KNOW you can do 120lbs on the smiths machine, drop down to say 80lbs in the squat rack and do a set, then as you get more comfortable, knock up your weight, you can do it! Just put the safety bars at the right height for you, and you'll be FINE.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I got a PR on squats tonight, 170lbs for 5 reps.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    I got a PR on squats tonight, 170lbs for 5 reps.

Beans you should revive the brag thread -- you are awesome.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling totally inadequate after this thread! When I go to body pump I put 5kgs on each side of the bar and that's tough for me. I also have reallly muscly legs! O_o
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    I'm feeling totally inadequate after this thread! When I go to body pump I put 5kgs on each side of the bar and that's tough for me. I also have reallly muscly legs! O_o

Lifting heavy is very different to pump class. I'd consider pump cardio. I used to do Pump a lot, but I can't do lunges any more, so switched to other things.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    And for weight, I usually put on 120kgs/265lbs for strength training or 100kg/220lbs for hypertrophy

How can you squat so much while having scoliosis?

Oh yeah, forgot to say... I only do front squats cos of my back. They are sooo hard!
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    If you're being legit for this, you're in ELITE level of strength, a level that less than 1% of women who actively train to be strong will hit. to do that in under a year is almost impossible.

In fact you're on the edge of having a WORLD RECORD lift in like 5 weight classes with those numbers... within 2-30lbs.

If you're seriously putting that much weight on the bar, you're doing it wrong, cause I somehow doubt you're on the edge of a world record lift.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

Lifting heavy is very different to pump class. I'd consider pump cardio. I used to do Pump a lot, but I can't do lunges any more, so switched to other things.

That's an hour of weights.. much different to 5-10 reps.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    If you're being legit for this, you're in ELITE level of strength, a level that less than 1% of women who actively train to be strong will hit. to do that in under a year is almost impossible.

In fact you're on the edge of having a WORLD RECORD lift in like 5 weight classes with those numbers... within 2-30lbs.

If you're seriously putting that much weight on the bar, you're doing it wrong, cause I somehow doubt you're on the edge of a world record lift.

Wooo, so is this jealousy or plain negativity?

Well I'm actually NOT doing it wrong. It is a little something called I lift at my Fitness school where my teacher who has been in fitness for more than 20 years usually spots me.

Actually, just looked on the site and for my weight 187.50kg/413.36lbs is the record.. how is that anywhere near what I am squatting?
  • Jynus
    Options

Well I'm actually NOT doing it wrong. It is a little something called I lift at my Fitness school where my teacher who has been in fitness for more than 20 years usually spots me.
    It's calling BS that you're in the top of the world in strength in under a year of lifting. It doesn't work that way.

edit: just caught your edit. 400lbs would put you in 140-180lbs weight classes as thats about the lift for those classes. Fair enough, I wasn't sure your weight, but for anything under 140 a lot of the top lifts are right in the low 300's. Which is your max lift.

Regardless, point stands, 300lbs squat is ELITE for a woman in your weight range. The elite cuttoff is aprox 232lbs-268lbs depending on your weight. To hit this level utterly does not happen in under a year if at all.. And def not without without serious dedication to strength training at an elite gym, and prob steroids too.

If you have that much weight on your back, you're doing quarter squats.
  • Jynus
    Options

It's calling BS that you're in the top of the world in strength in under a year of lifting. It doesn't work that way.

Where the **** are you getting your figures from?
    The website says that for my weight, 187.50kg/413.36lbs is the record.. that is an extra 148.36lbs than what I am squatting..
    get your figures right before going around being a smartass prick?
    Strength standards: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/WLSTANDARDS.pdf
    Raw world records: http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/records/raw/women-world
    Your lift calculator: http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

do the math, you're full of crap if you're seriously trying to make the claim you can put up 300lbs.

edit: and those are front squats?!? bwaahahahaha, k now I know you're seriously full of it. lol... front squats are normally about 30% less than back squat max, if not more so.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    You won't get bulky or chunky muscles, women don't have the testosterone for it.

I've done a "bulk" before to gain muscle purposefully, and I'm doing one again now. My legs still aren't big, but I want them bigger. It takes a lot of hard work, time and lots of calories (I'm eating 3000+ a day) to add significant muscle size.

I squat 50kg for 3 sets of 6-8 reps at the moment. My 1RM (1 rep max) is 65kg.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I was doing stronglifts 5x5 and my last weight was 67.5kg
  • dave48ph
    dave48ph Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Add enough weight so that do can do 12-15 reps. do 3-5 sets and use perfect form. Use the Smith machine if they have one. Use about 70% of your I rep number. be careful keep back straight and feet planted.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    Add enough weight so that do can do 12-15 reps. do 3-5 sets and use perfect form. Use the Smith machine if they have one. Use about 70% of your I rep number. be careful keep back straight and feet planted.

Don't use the Smith Machine.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, squats ≠ leg press

Barbell squat!!
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I don't use any weights when I'm doing squats.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    i'm up to 135 pounds now. i started off with just the barbell and it took a while with just that until i got my form perfect. i try to increase 5-10 pounds each workout

i do 5 sets of 5 reps

^This is the smart way to do it! And have someone check your form - even after you've been doing it for awhile, an extra set of eyes never hurts from time to time.

I do 5 sets of 5 reps and am up to 130lbs on the squat now.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

you're squatting 265x5?
    I gotta see a video of this.........
This discussion has been closed.