PMS

Any tips for serious PMS cravings...? I am a sodium ADDICT during everyone's favorite time of the month.

Replies

• Any tips for serious PMS cravings...? I am a sodium ADDICT during everyone's favorite time of the month.
  • I wish I had some wise words of wisdom, unfotunately I don't. I too have this problem except mine is carbs (and sodium). I crave potato chips, popcorn, bread, pastries, pasta's, french fries, you name it and I crave it!

Alot of times I will get out and walk. I'll get online and play a few games or search the web for new recipe's, plan my daily menu, write out my grocery list, work on paying bills, ride my stationary bike, read a book or look at a magazine...anything that will take my mind off it. Research has shown that a typical craving will last for 20 min. And I've noticed this is mostly true. If you can do something to take your mind off your craving...maybe it will help. Sometimes it helps with me and sometimes it doesn't.

Whatever you do, don't let your craving go on for longer than an hour or two before you give in to it. I've noticed if I deny my craving (for example) several days or even just all day long....I'll overeat whatever it was I was craving. If after you've attempted to control your craving (not give in to it) and the craving is still there...go ahead and have those chips or crackers or whatever salty you are craving. Just try to stay within suggested portion size. Make sure you add it to your daily food diary and adjust your foods for the rest of the day so you stay within our daily calorie intake.
  • SugarBearRetired
    SugarBearRetired Posts: 76 Member
    I get this too- for me it's salt. If I feel a craving for it, I'll steam some broccoli, spray with butter spray, then salt. I know I don't really need the salt, but at least I'm not adding many calories!
  • Great ideas/info, thanks!