Things to do besides eating

Options
I love eating so losing weight is extremely hard for me. I can't seem to fight the biological urge to overeat. I have yet to find an activity that truly keeps my mind off food. The activities I do for fun such as watching tv shows and reading can be done while eating. So those don't work. Any ideas?

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    The world is your oyster.

Drink more water, it will cut the urge.

As to activities there are just so many -- I run, bike, learn languages, travel, hike, climb, go to the gym, read, walk, make things and dance between the sheets. TV? Not so much.
  • Kkkkkatinka
    Options
    Hi :-)
    Why don't you start to have a huge water bottle in your hand? Each time you want something in your mouth you will just drink water.
    This will hydrate you, makes you feel full and you don't eat :-)

Or you can start being creative: You could start handcrafting. Maybe something for Halloween, Christmas :-)
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Atkins? Seems to be my stock answer, but I found it really does control cravings/appetite. Also you can't exactly snack on chips or popcorn, how many eggs can you eat, really? :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    ... double post ...

oh, I like to trundle too.
  • sconns21
    sconns21 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Knitting?
  • slenderizeme
    slenderizeme Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    OP: you're kidding, right?

No. I think it is a reasonable question. You don't have to be rude. I thought this was a place where I could post without judgment. Apparently I was wrong.
  • loopingcaterpillar
    Options
    i took up knitting, i cant eat and knit, but i can read large print ior watch tv and knit, and you get something at the end :P
  • chanson104
    Options
    Is there someone that you could call that would agree to discourage you from eating?

I chew a lot of sugar free gum -- especially when I am cooking or cleaning after a meal -- so I don't do mindless eating. I also find that brushing my teeth is a good deterrent.
  • slenderizeme
    slenderizeme Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Is there someone that you could call that would agree to discourage you from eating?

I chew a lot of sugar free gum -- especially when I am cooking or cleaning after a meal -- so I don't do mindless eating. I also find that brushing my teeth is a good deterrent.

Those are both really good ideas. Thanks. I have actually eaten after brushing my teeth though lol.
  • Shahann
    Options
    A nice long bubble bath is not an easy place for me to take food (or shower). I sometimes use this as a reward after a simple exercise or walk (which I usually can't do with food either.) In my spare time I quilt. Food and fabric don't mix. What about pets? If I had food around my dogs they would make me feel bad for eating it in front of them and not giving them some.
    It's also nice to soak your hands in something to make them soft (like doing a manicure). Good luck!
  • sweetalker
    sweetalker Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    OK, so you've tried brushing to discourage eating, how about flossing and rinsing with mouthwash? Flossing really makes you feel like you've *worked* to make your mouth clean, and the taste of mouthwash does NOT mix well with most foods.

Calling a friend helps too. Remember overeating is an addiction just like alcoholism; the steps that AA users take (and the sponsors they use) are good ideas to "steal" for your own use.
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    OP: you're kidding, right?

No. I think it is a reasonable question. You don't have to be rude. I thought this was a place where I could post without judgment. Apparently I was wrong.

I did not mean to be rude and I was not judging. I was just checking if I understood the question.
    Now, to address the question, what works for me is anything that keeps me outdoors. The more I stay at home, the more I feel like chewing on something.
    Other than that, as others suggested already, anything to keep your hands busy. Manicure goes along just fine with that TV :) and I find that anything you do to pamper yourself helps in the emotional eating department.