Help a girl tone up!!!!

Options
Ok my well built people. I'm ready to step it up at the gym and get serious about my weight training...so i have my arms exercises that work the isolated muscles...but....how many reps should i be doing? and how many set of how many reps? and is there any arm work out you would say is reeeeally good that I may not know about?

Replies

• 3 sets of 15 is usually a good place to start. But make sure the weight you are lifting is pretty tough to continue lifting at the end of you reps! I just found www.feelfit.com. They have great exercise recommendations and its free!
  • arioncox
    Options
    This doesn't sound fun, but I'm telling you what my best friend told me a couple years ago when I really hit the gym hard...stick with the basics. Bicep curls with the dumbells, pull downs on the machine for your triceps, overhead presses, etc...and make sure that if you're trying anything new, start with a really low weight to make sure you don't do more damage then good! If you feel good after a couple days doing it at the lower weight (and you know for sure you're doing the movement properly!), then move it up...
    As for the more reps vs more weight thing-I always started at 3 sets of 12 reps. By the third set, I'd usually be so tired my form would be off. It wasn't until after a few weeks, when I could do all 3 sets with only a little tension, that I would bump up the weight. Best of luck...I can't wait to start posting some progress on this site! :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals and current fitness level.
    Standards:
    Toning up is 3 sets of each exercise with each set somewhere between 12-15 reps. The last 2-3 reps should be difficult, if not increase the weight.
    For overall shape and size usually 3 to 4 sets of 8-12 reps again last 2-3 should be difficult
    For size and strength/power 4 sets of 5-8 reps, with the last 2-3 being difficult

These are not set in stone and everyone is different but these are typical guidlines.